Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midlothian Lateral

What does this mean????

Applications for the Lateral Transfer List will be received on a “First Come, First Served” basis and placed on an Initial List, in that order. Testing of applicants will be completed on January 7, 2012 at the Midlothian Village Hall, Midlothian, IL.

So if I camp out and turn it in early, am I number 1 on the list??? Anyone know anything about them?

Originally posted by gogokart98 View Post
    So if I camp out and turn it in early, am I number 1 on the list??? Anyone know anything about them?
    I'm guessing if they're competitively testing then it's not a "first come, first served" eligibility list. Most likely just handing out a predetermined number of applications?

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
      I'll tell you exactly what it is. It's a big, fat "F-u-c-k you" to all of us that tested and got onto their list...I already know that the other cops here will say the typical, "it's smart", "it's more cost effective", "who wouldn't want certified", etc. Well F-U-C-K that noise. It's a blatant slap to the face of those of us who tested, made the final list and WANT to get on. We tested, we KNEW they wanted to hire, and we passed to get on for a great shot at a job. Now they are finding whatever other BS reason not to hire new guys. What a joke.
      So the certified guys don't WANT to get on?

A slap in the face would be if you had earned something and were cheated out of it; you haven't and the department isn't obligated to you in any way. You aren't owed a shot at a job, and these "BS" reasons are the actions of reasonable parties whose responsibilities far outweigh you as an applicant. You're inability to accept the bigger picture hints that later down the line you may have the same problem on the job just because you don't like the outcome.

How many departments have you tested for, and how many offers have you received? Maybe you can explain away one or two of these, but eventually you have to accept that it falls on you to make changes.

Comment

Glad I stopped testing in the burbs. Waiting on CPD or county.

Comment

Just because there is a lateral list doesn't mean that there won't be any new hires. They have hired uncertified guys in the recent past...just saying
          We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

If the certified guys wanted to get on at the department, they would've tested with us when the initial posting was made. They specifically told people at the orientation that they wanted certified over anyone else. Only three full time guys made the list, and not all of them passed. The obvious answer would be to go with THE LIST YOU MADE. What's the point of the list if you are going to avoid using it?!

It is a slap to the face. Everyone who is on that list is getting cheated out of a opportunity because they want certified more then anything. To make a whole new list of JUST certified, months after a normal list was made? Then what was the point of testing non-certified if they want to avoid them at all costs . . .
            Municipalities are required to maintain these lists. How do you know for a fact that three certified officers made the eligibility list, but that not all three legitimately passsed the testing? What have you done about this?

The obvious answer would be to go with the best interests of the department/municipality in mind - too bad if you don't like it. It isn't a slap in the face because you aren't owed anything; not only did you get your shot, but they even explicitly stated to you what they were seeking. Furthermore, the list you are on is still valid so you STILL have a chance with that department! There are plenty of agencies that take "laterals" and also hire new guys off of their regular lists as the needs for manpower will vary depending on the circumstances at the time. Move on, get over it, and try to figure out what you can do on your end to improve your chances, considering that these types of things are out of your control. Good luck.

Comment

If the certified guys wanted to get on at the department, they would've tested with us when the initial posting was made. They specifically told people at the orientation that they wanted certified over anyone else. Only three full time guys made the list, and not all of them passed. The obvious answer would be to go with THE LIST YOU MADE. What's the point of the list if you are going to avoid using it?!

It is a slap to the face. Everyone who is on that list is getting cheated out of a opportunity because they want certified more then anything. To make a whole new list of JUST certified, months after a normal list was made? Then what was the point of testing non-certified if they want to avoid them at all costs . . .
              Just to be the devil's advocate, wouldn't that be what one would call going after the most "qualified" applicant? I mean who is more qualified for a police position, you or someone who has a degree, a police certification, AND police experience. Understand this is not directed at you personally, but more of a devil's advocate question.

People on the forums like to talk about qualifications and degrees. I just have to ask, does a degree, coupled with the law enforcement officer certification and police experience constitute a more "qualified" applicant regardless of desire to get hired?

Hiring a certified officer makes fiscal sense to cash strapped municipalities; but, hiring a certified officer also means hiring a more qualified applicant with all other things being equal.

It might be frustrating for you Exodus, but the law enforcement career path is difficult to get into during this particular period of time.

If you were applying during the 90's you would have been in hog heaven with all the hiring police agencies did with the federal grants.

Comment

For those of you fed up with laterals/certified being given what appears to be preferential treatment...Virginia Beach currently doesn't have a lateral academy so most new hires are people fresh out of college/military.

Comment

It's easier said then done, but if your dream is to become a police officer you should test out of state. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Big cities in Texas are hiring tons of police officers and the competition isn't that great.

Comment

Originally posted by dansik View Post
                    For those of you fed up with laterals/certified being given what appears to be preferential treatment...Virginia Beach currently doesn't have a lateral academy so most new hires are people fresh out of college/military.
                    He posts this in every thread when you guys start bitching about lack of hiring....If you really want to be proactive and get into the field, get a hold of dansik and find out about his department. Further as goodfella said, I was just in Texas for a few days visiting some friends, a few of which work for Texas DPS, and they are always hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by ISPTPR22 View Post
                      He posts this in every thread when you guys start bitching about lack of hiring....If you really want to be proactive and get into the field, get a hold of dansik and find out about his department. Further as goodfella said, I was just in Texas for a few days visiting some friends, a few of which work for Texas DPS, and they are always hiring.
                      Haha, it probably gets a bit annoying, but one of the reasons I was able to find out about Va Beach was a post someone made on these forums. I applied, and less than a year later I was moving out of Illinois.

The out of state route is a great idea, but it's always hard to take that step. I'd prefer to work here. My home state so I wouldn't have to relocate and lose everything. I've heard about Virginia Beach and Texas. Atlanta is another one who seems to be always hiring.
                      I agree it's hard to take that step. It was tough moving away from friends and family and familiarity, but I don't regret it one bit. I only tested for about 9 months (and I know some of you have been trying much longer), and now I'm on solo patrol. I love my job, I picked a great department in a great city. It doesn't hurt that it was 75 degrees yesterday either (back down to the 50's today though). I also don't have to worry about getting hired then getting laid off which would be my worries with some of the cities in IL.

But there are departments in IL that are hiring people with no experience. I've turned down 3 departments in IL since I've been hired here so they are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ISPTPR22 View Post
                        I've noted the same thing. At some point, when everyone is noticing, maybe you need to re-think the attitude.
                        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by noonespecial View Post
                          Glad I stopped testing in the burbs. Waiting on CPD or county.
                          The 'burbs are glad also.
                          For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

I know when I was testing I hated the lateral transfer preference. I understood the reasons, but as a new guy in a very tough hiring market, it made things that much harder. I can understand Exodus's frustration with them creating a new list. With that said, it is only one department. Move on and keep testing. It is a hard nut to crack, but after getting hired, I have been offered conditional offers from three other departments in the last year. The hiring market is starting to rebound with departments at their minimum staffing levels and impending retirements. Sure, it is not like the 90's but there are opportunities. My department has hired 4 off the current list which is still active until July. Anyways, good luck and don't give up!

Comment

Any new hires or laterals in last seven months?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9263 users online. 403 members and 8860 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X