Lateral Transferring?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral Transferring?

How long do you have to be and officer in another state to be able to lateral into Illinois?
    I have a buddy that just got on in Wisconsin but is from Illinois and he was wondering and so was I.

Thanks Ladies and Gents.

http://www.ptb.state.il.us/faq.htm#OOST

"Officers must FIRST be employed with an Illinois Law Enforcement agency. That employing agency will make an application through the waiver process. Illinois reciprocity will be applied once the application has been reviewed and verification of training and employment has been validated with the training post. Applicant must also have held employment full time for a minimum of 6 months. The employing agency will be notified by letter from this Board of the reciprocity requirements and the time frame for completion.''

Comment

http://www.ptb.state.il.us/training/...outofstate.htm

The wording states that you must complete a required "probationary period" of at least 6 months as a full time law enforcement officer. Does anyone know if this is referring to the probationary period of the previous department or is IL referring to the 6 months full time employment as the "probationary period?"

Comment

Originally posted by jsimmons2932 View Post
        How long do you have to be and officer in another state to be able to lateral into Illinois?
        I have a buddy that just got on in Wisconsin but is from Illinois and he was wondering and so was I.

Thanks Ladies and Gents.
        Though we have one of the lowest requirements for minimum hours of academy training (400), if you're shy of that you will not be able to lateral w/o going back to the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by tuleyz View Post
          http://www.ptb.state.il.us/training/...outofstate.htm

The wording states that you must complete a required "probationary period" of at least 6 months as a full time law enforcement officer. Does anyone know if this is referring to the probationary period of the previous department or is IL referring to the 6 months full time employment as the "probationary period?"
          "NOTE: Board Policy requires the officer to have met a required probationary period (a minimum of 6 (six) months) as a full time law enforcement officer within the state the training was certified."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
            Though we have one of the lowest requirements for minimum hours of academy training (400), if you're shy of that you will not be able to lateral w/o going back to the academy.
            I am not shy of the 6 months. I was employed from Dec 16th, 2011 and my last day will be Dec 15th, 2012. According to my employer, if I was to go back to work on Dec 16th, I would be off probation. Since I am quitting, I don't know if I will "technically" be off probation or not.

My question is, is Illinois referring to my previous EMPLOYERS probation period, or is Illinois considering that 6 months experience being employed a "probationary period" in their terms?

Comment

Since I am quitting, I don't know if I will "technically" be off probation or not.
              This depends on your department's interpretation and how it is worded on your separation form (POST).
              My question is, is Illinois referring to my previous EMPLOYERS probation period, or is Illinois considering that 6 months experience being employed a "probationary period" in their terms?
              Wherever you were employed will have to sign off that you completed your probationary period. The minimum standard for an agency is six months; if you were on probation for a year and completed it, you meet the requirement.

This is all case-by-case, and as DC27 said, you must be hired by an agency first. That agency may apply for a waiver of training based on your out-of-state training and other experience. The minimum standard must be met before you are eligible. There aren't any loopholes, but again, it is case-by-case, and you won't get an answer until you are already hired.

Extraordinarily Ordinary & Remarkably Unremarkable!

"I bet you have an "Operator" patch on your gear"--CCCSD
              "Everyone has a purpose in life. Some people's purpose is to be the example of what NOT to do..."--tanksoldier

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                This depends on your department's interpretation and how it is worded on your separation form (POST).
                Wherever you were employed will have to sign off that you completed your probationary period. The minimum standard for an agency is six months; if you were on probation for a year and completed it, you meet the requirement.

This is all case-by-case, and as DC27 said, you must be hired by an agency first. That agency may apply for a waiver of training based on your out-of-state training and other experience. The minimum standard must be met before you are eligible. There aren't any loopholes, but again, it is case-by-case, and you won't get an answer until you are already hired.

Are you speaking from experience, or is that your interpretation? I talked to someone with the board and they said as long as I worked their 6 months I will be fine.

Comment

Are you speaking from experience, or is that your interpretation?
                  Experience. When I was an administrator, I submitted waiver requests to ILETSB for trained officers. Jan Allen (ILETSB) will be able to accurately answer your question and will tell you a) you must first be hired by an agency b) that agency must apply for a waiver for you and [this is the IMPORTANT PART] c) the ILETSB will consider your waiver request on a case-by-case basis.
                  I talked to someone with the board and they said as long as I worked their 6 months I will be fine.
                  If the person you talked to said you will be o.k. then so be it.

Six months is a minimum probationary period. If you worked ten months of a twelve month probation, it is likely that you did not meet that minimum standard (completion of probationary period). Much of this will depend on the agency submitting the request for a waiver or training and how persistent they are in getting you on.

If you applied to an agency whose chief has a good working relationship with the ILETSB field rep or office staff, they will make the necessary calls, explain their desire for you to work there, and it will be approved.

Another factor would be the agency you are leaving. If your form E lines up, no problem.

Last edited by slamdunc; 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM.

"Everyone has a purpose in life. Some people's purpose is to be the example of what NOT to do..."--tanksoldier

Comment

I am not shy of the 6 months. I was employed from Dec 16th, 2011 and my last day will be Dec 15th, 2012. According to my employer, if I was to go back to work on Dec 16th, I would be off probation. Since I am quitting, I don't know if I will "technically" be off probation or not.

Maybe I'm turned around. I thought "have met a required probationary period (a minimum of 6 (six) months) as a full time law enforcement officer within the state the training was certified" answered your question. Of course you'll be on probation when you start at just aout any pd. It's saying you need to have completed probation in the state you were certified in b/c remember you're not certified in IL yet.

It sounds like your last day of work is your last day of probation. Meaning technically you will have completed probation just not continued working there after probation. Depends on if you're off probation after working the 15th or after working the 16th (if you did). Either way, nobody who really wants you is going to care about one eight hour shift that already surpasses the minimum time needed.

Comment

Are you speaking from experience, or is that your interpretation? I talked to someone with the board and they said as long as I worked their 6 months I will be fine.
                      The policy as is shown here leaves a huge loophole for discretion. Candidate A could have a 6 month probation and stayed with the old dept 11 months and they say he is a real joe, finished up probation strong, he's a great guy..and his new department pushes him through.

Meanwhile Candidate B could have a 12 month probation and leaves in 11 months and the losing department say he didn't finish probation, we don't look highly on that, it takes a full 12 months to really get through our rigorous program and prove you have what it takes to work here and he didn't do that, I wouldn't recommend hiring him and we wouldnt re-hire him because he quit on the program.

Both statements align with the policy, must complete probationary period and the period must be at least 6 months. How the gaining department (who is hiring you) and the losing department describe your training is what will make a difference with the board staff that processes it. I don't know the process that well but I know government enough to know that slamdunc's on to something.

Comment

Thanks for the answers everyone. Just to clear a few things up, I have been hired and I have a start date, the chief has indicated he wants to try to get the academy waived.

I also contacted my current employer about the issue. I explained the situation to them and they are having my last as Dec 16th instead of the 15th. Instead of getting paid for a personal day I had left, I will just use it on the 16th. They are being very helpful and stated that if I move my last day to the 16th and use the personal day, I will have completed probation with them.

From what I understand, adding the extra day of work was probably not necessary, but if it's the difference of going to PTI or not going to PTI, it is worth it! I did it to cover all bases.

Comment

Thanks for the answers everyone. Just to clear a few things up, I have been hired and I have a start date, the chief has indicated he wants to try to get the academy waived.
                          Congratulations, I hope it works out for you.
                          From what I understand, adding the extra day of work was probably not necessary, but if it's the difference of going to PTI or not going to PTI, it is worth it! I did it to cover all bases.
                          Again, it is always good to hedge your bets. PTI in January would be miserably cold.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6299 users online. 278 members and 6021 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                          X