Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago aviation police hiring!!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chicago aviation police hiring!!!

    https://chicago.taleo.net/careersect...ch.ftl?lang=en

    Don't make a Career out of it, but its a great way to get certified. 12 openings!

  • #2
    Why are aviation police unarmed?

    Updated: November 11, 2011 5:53PM

    I have been a Chicago Department of Aviation police officer for 16 years, and I wonder: Why is this police force unarmed?

    The Aviation Police, which work at Chicago’s two airports, are state-certified and sworn police officers who are required to attend a police academy. They are required to pass the state police certification exam, as are the Chicago Police. Aviation police are required to qualify with firearms once a year, as are the Chicago Police. But for some reason, Chicago Aviation Police are unarmed, though they have full police powers like the Chicago Police.

    Arming the Chicago Aviation Police could free up Chicago Police to be reassigned to the streets where they are needed. The irony of the situation is other police departments in Chicago are armed. University of Chicago police, Cook County Hospital police, UIC police, railroad police, even the Metropolitan Sanitary District police are armed.

    John P. Gieres, Dunning
    http://www.suntimes.com/opinions/let...e-unarmed.html

    Comment


    • #3
      railroad police, a long time established ' police' don't have typical govt....stupid stuff, once they get their police commission from whatever it's source.....state law, or the govenor...is aprivate enity, so thus havetheir own requirements.
      i agree, if your inthe role as johnny cop.....you should be 100 % equipped w/o politics.
      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

      Comment


      • #4
        This Dept was created as a security dept for aviation years back and staffed with political hacks (some of which have been promoted to supervisors there). Some of the people that have been hired: People fired by CPD, Fired suburban coppers, people that couldn't get hired anywhere else, years back had a guy that didn't speak English, retired coppers and an 80 year old guy.

        They kind of "evolved" into a PD because of FAA guidlines, but the job hasn't changed from what it was, a good paying security gig, with a good pension. Kind of like having a '92 Pontiac. No matter what sounds you put in it, or cool paint job you put on it, it's still a '92 Pontiac.

        Don't buy into what some of their guys say that they will be taking over ALL Police operations at the airports (never happen, by virtue of some of the people they've hired) . The people that have been hired over the years are not equipped to take over all LE at the airports from CPD.

        Homeland Sec, FAA, grants have and probably will continue to be used to hire CPD to be used at the airports. With this economy, and with this Mayor, the cause that Aviation guys are championing to become the only LE at the airports may backfire on them and cause their job to be eliminated and them to be classified as "security guard" or "police aid" still unarmed and unsworn, making much less money than they do now, without a Police pension. There basically is too much baggage on that Dept. to turn everything over to them.

        This Dept is comprised of people that want a good paying security job, people looking to get certified, people waiting to get on a traditional PD, people that can't work anywhere else, and people that will spend their whole carreer there attempting to change the job to fit what they want..

        The City made this Dept. what it is..

        Comment


        • #5
          + 10000


          Chicago made the department what it is. If anyone is looking for it to turn into what it SHOULD be, like those in LA, NY, and EVERY OTHER major city, its just not going to happen.


          Chicago is the MODEL of inefficiency.

          Comment


          • #6
            Typical...

            Like I said don't make it a career. Just putting it out there for people who want to get a foot on the door or even get a freaken job. I didn't have clout nor did the officers that were hired after me. Then to top it off you have to continue to bash the dept. Just leave it alone, get over it. If you didn't have fear that aviation police was going to take over the airport you probably wouldn't have written that. All of the officers graduating from an academy just like you...so what's the problem?? Oh and when you retire i'll bet any money you're going to try and get a job there too. Just stop the bashing

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dompolice View Post
              Typical...

              Like I said don't make it a career. Just putting it out there for people who want to get a foot on the door or even get a freaken job. I didn't have clout nor did the officers that were hired after me. Then to top it off you have to continue to bash the dept. Just leave it alone, get over it. If you didn't have fear that aviation police was going to take over the airport you probably wouldn't have written that. All of the officers graduating from an academy just like you...so what's the problem?? Oh and when you retire i'll bet any money you're going to try and get a job there too. Just stop the bashing
              But I do know several people there that had clout, otherwise they wouldn't be employed in LE. I am over it. I have no horse in this race. And if you think I'm afraid aviation will take over all the LE at the airports, you're delusional. The only fear I would have is that if I was at the airport(s) and there was an active shooter scenario that was being handled soley by Aviation. As far as working as a security guard at the airport when I retire, nah, don't think so. be bored out of my mind sitting at "Checkpoint Charley" writing plate numbers of trucks making deliveries. But you keep believing that you will be like PAPD or LAXPD...Believe me the CPD guys have nothing to worry about. Their jobs are secure...much more than yours...You guys should be worried that you don't have to give up the 5 point star that says "Police" for a round one that says "Security," along with the $15 per hr pay that goes with it. How'd it work out for the TMA's? How about CHAPD? I'd quit yapping about "we don't have guns," and take that $77K a year for a the glorified guard gig..

              BTW, your training is NOT like CPD's. 12 weeks .vs 26 weeks. NO street FTO. Maurer thought he was going to be the "King of The Airports." Didn't work out , did it, althought he got that little "Special" removed from the 4x4's. Like I said, the job is what it is...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                But I do know several people there that had clout, otherwise they wouldn't be employed in LE. I am over it. I have no horse in this race. And if you think I'm afraid aviation will take over all the LE at the airports, you're delusional. The only fear I would have is that if I was at the airport(s) and there was an active shooter scenario that was being handled soley by Aviation. As far as working as a security guard at the airport when I retire, nah, don't think so. be bored out of my mind sitting at "Checkpoint Charley" writing plate numbers of trucks making deliveries. But you keep believing that you will be like PAPD or LAXPD...Believe me the CPD guys have nothing to worry about. Their jobs are secure...much more than yours...You guys should be worried that you don't have to give up the 5 point star that says "Police" for a round one that says "Security," along with the $15 per hr pay that goes with it. How'd it work out for the TMA's? How about CHAPD? I'd quit yapping about "we don't have guns," and take that $77K a year for a the glorified guard gig..

                BTW, your training is NOT like CPD's. 12 weeks .vs 26 weeks. NO street FTO. Maurer thought he was going to be the "King of The Airports." Didn't work out , did it, althought he got that little "Special" removed from the 4x4's. Like I said, the job is what it is...


                Yea it is what it is....why couldn't you just ignore this thread...just putting it out there, I even said its not a great career move its just a great way to get certified...see you when you retire ;-)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Have had this issue before, but when I click on the link to apply, the page loads for a split second then goes away.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by goosethebird View Post
                    Have had this issue before, but when I click on the link to apply, the page loads for a split second then goes away.
                    yes that problem occurs just continue to click back and or refresh the page.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Applied.

                      Thanks for the post!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by goosethebird View Post
                        Have had this issue before, but when I click on the link to apply, the page loads for a split second then goes away.
                        I have the same issue. Click on "Printable Format" in the upper right corner and you should be able to read it.

                        Dompolice:
                        Any idea when they will begin hiring or when the academy is supposed to start?
                        Also, thanks for posting this.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by zsayed View Post
                          I have the same issue. Click on "Printable Format" in the upper right corner and you should be able to read it.

                          Dompolice:
                          Any idea when they will begin hiring or when the academy is supposed to start?
                          Also, thanks for posting this.

                          Im not sure exactly when they will begin. I do know they want to hire 12-18 people. I also know they prefer to use Cook County Sheriff Police Academy, and I believe the next class starts in January. I highly doubt they will get anyone through the process in that amount of time. They might also utilize the CPD academy, not sure what the dates are for them. I have heard rumors though that they would like people in by May for the Summit. Ill keep you guys posted...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ...........
                            Last edited by Of.Ponzi; 08-05-2012, 10:58 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can they carry off duty?

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6689 users online. 262 members and 6427 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X