300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plano PD

I saw that Plano was up on blueline/publicsaftey. I was wondering if anyone had any information on if they were hiring or not. This department is 2+ hours away from me and if they were not hiring it would make my decision easier as to send in the application and use a whole Saturday. Thank you

yeah its a good hour from me as well but im going to fill out them app. if you read the info it says they arnt going to require you to pass the physical on the test day. dont know what to make of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shyster View Post
      if you read the info it says they arnt going to require you to pass the physical on the test day. dont know what to make of that.
      A bunch of places are doing that now. Its a complete waste of time.

Comment

I took the last exam about 2 years ago. The people who ran the testing process are a joke! I spent 8 hours just for the written and physical. They acutally had everyone go one at a time for the bench and then had us wait until everyone was done. I finally told one of the girls that we would move faster if we lined up according to weight so we wouldn't waste so much time in changing the weights. 8 hours it took to finish the entire process of the power and written. This is nothing aginst the dept. its against public safety.

Comment

Wow, I never heard of not having to pass the power and still continue, well unless someone knows someone...... I was going to apply there but now have second thoughts.

U.S. Border Patrol
          EOD - 10/2011 SW, TX

Comment

To answer your question, it is my understanding that they recently lost 1 officer and just recently or will hire a replacement off of an old list. This department like others in the area (yorkville, sandwich, etc..) are short on officers because of the city's financial position, the past couple years many positions have gone unfilled. They are currently negotiating a new contract. They currently top out at 58k for a patrol officer. mid 70's - ish for sergeants. One perk is that they are going to begin construction on a new PD shortly. They keep pretty busy and it's a pretty young department, kind of a revolving door so if you stick around I'm sure you'll gain some seniority quickly.

Disclaimer, I don't work there, I work next door.

~

Comment

I'm still on the fence for this one. Any idea on the overall morale of the dept?

And how busy is busy? I'm somewhat familiar with the area, it's only about an hour southwest of me.

Comment

Morale isn't as bad as my department but i wouldn't say its real good. Busy is relative i guess. They have their share of section 8 and gangs are becoming quite prevelant. I was talking to one of their guys and he was saying that it seems like they were seeing batteries nightly. It's not uncommon to get robberies, home invasions, i always hear them on IREACH for fights in progress. (then again it seems like KENCOM IREACHes everything). It's only gonna get busier as they grow. They are up to close to 11,000 and in a good ecomony you'll see more movin' in. Especially if the Prairie Parkway gets built on the city's east side.

~

Comment

I think I'm passing this time around...hope that one doesn't jump up and bite me.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
                    Why? So some schmuck that isn't physically capable of doing the job/test, gets to waste a department's money and fail in the Academy? While people like me who are ready and waiting have to be sidelined cause some people think it "isn't fair"?
                    The Police Academy gives you the P.O.W.E.R. before they let you enter their training anyway. If you fail you don't get in. If I remember right they'll give you 2 shots at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted1958 View Post
                      The Police Academy gives you the P.O.W.E.R. before they let you enter their training anyway. If you fail you don't get in. If I remember right they'll give you 2 shots at it.
                      Yep, I think the 2nd try is 48 hours later or something like that.

Comment

They REALLY gotta get that pay up! I know its a small, growing department but geez...
                        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                          They REALLY gotta get that pay up! I know its a small, growing department but geez...

You should of seen it before this contract. Starting was 33K.

Comment

I grew up in Plano and it has changed from a small rural community to a diverse population w/ attached problems. Right before the housing bust, they built many VERY affordable houses along Rt. 34 which brought in a new crowd. Throw in the Section 8 and it does hop. My sister's M-I-L dispatched there for several yrs and she would tell me how the officers could barely afford the cheap apartments in town. This was back mid-90's.

As far as POWER tests go, at PTI would get another chance the next day to retake whatever portions of the test you fail. My class had about 40 people and 3 failed a segment on the intitial test. The next day 2 passed and one guy could just not get pass the sit-ups. His department ended up letting him go instead of letting him try again with the next class. Its a good reminder to stay in shape even if you are not currently testing. You never know when the call will come.

Comment

ALRIGHT its been months(3) since my interview... where is the eligibility list???????
                              Vaya con dios

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9531 users online. 450 members and 9081 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X