300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armored Truck Company

I recently got hired by an armored truck company. I know, not necessarily law enforcement related but hoping someone can answer a few questions seeing that alot of law enforcement professionals work the job after retirement or part time. I start training soon and wondering what to expect. Also, what is the overall job like. Thanks.

I worked for an armored car a little while back and for the most part it's a pretty easy job. Guess it depends on which company your working for an the type of route you have....overall decent though...wish they paid more for the type of work they have you do

Comment

Thanks Harry.. yeah in a life or death job you think they would pay more. Sadly, its a step up for me from regular security.lol Plus with the driving experience I think it will open up different avenues. Appreciate your response.

Comment

I was always curious....how does this work with regards to being armed? Do you need to have prior law enforcement/military in order to obtain a permit to carry for work? Or do they put you through a certification course?

Comment

You would have to get certified through IDFPR to receive a FAC ( firearm control card) which allows you to carry at work and an hour to and from work. There are alot of security company supervisors who try to justify their 24/7 carry by claiming they are on duty 24/7 due to being supervisors. Its complete BS really and I can't wait till some of them get locked up for UUW's.

Comment

topflight mind sharing which company, I am thinking about applying to a couple which ones are hiring, I see loomis on there

Comment

Originally posted by topflight View Post
              I recently got hired by an armored truck company. I know, not necessarily law enforcement related but hoping someone can answer a few questions seeing that alot of law enforcement professionals work the job after retirement or part time. I start training soon and wondering what to expect. Also, what is the overall job like. Thanks.

I wont be able to share any information about job experiences because once I finished my week of training (3days classroom/2days range) I declined the position. The pay started at $12.60 and overtime was after 50hrs.Just as Harry said, for what I saw, it didn't seem to be a difficult job. With the job not being or seeming to be hard doesn't take away the potential of it being dangerous. I knew the risk going in. We were shown an actual video of a gaurd being shot in the face, during a robbery, but thats not why I turn the position down. It was the rules and regulations I didn't like. Some of the rules and lack of equipment made it seem as if the company didn't care about your well being. It was nothing like the Armed Gaurds you see in the movies (3-4man crew, shot guns, cool uniforms, walking around with gun draw...etc). But to be honest, I wish I would have stuck with it. It would have looked better on my Cook County Corrections application.

Comment

Goodguy I understand your reasons for declining the position but it was a little bit of a process to get hired.. I'm all in now.lol i think it would look good on the county app. too. Out of necessity im going to have to face the danger...Could you explain some of the rules? are the weapons only for show..I mean can you plug someone if they're coming at you with a weapon? Will the company back you up in court and so forth..I know armed security is a joke the company's come after you in an incident. @park88 the manager told me we would be covered under the railroad act? Still have to look into that. And yea I know alot of those security supervisors that do that..complete wannabes..lol

Comment

That is another problem I see with security companies, the lack of training in use of force. I do not see how you can just throw somebody out there with a firearm and not teach them the use of force continuum. It's a major liability for the company AND the guard.

Also, good luck with the job & stay safe.
                  Last edited by park88; 06-26-2011, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Appreciate it Park, you stay safe too.

Comment

Goodguy I understand your reasons for declining the position but it was a little bit of a process to get hired.. I'm all in now.lol i think it would look good on the county app. too. Out of necessity im going to have to face the danger...Could you explain some of the rules? are the weapons only for show..I mean can you plug someone if they're coming at you with a weapon? Will the company back you up in court and so forth..I know armed security is a joke the company's come after you in an incident. @park88 the manager told me we would be covered under the railroad act? Still have to look into that. And yea I know alot of those security supervisors that do that..complete wannabes..lol
                      Congrats on the job bro! Just be safe! As for some of the rules, we weren't issued radios to be able to communicate with in a stop. They told us to buy or own. We weren't issued a vest until after 3 months and if your partner was being held up you were told to drive off and just notify base. These are some of the rules and regulations. My friend and I were hired together and he is still there. He doesnt like the fact that he doesnt have a set partner. He has told me stories about coming out a stop and having to bang on the door because his partner was sleep. Once, his partner drove off from a stop with out him. As for the weapons, some of them are for show, depending on who has them. There where people being hired that never fired a firearm im there dreams. I agree with Park88, there IS "Lack of training". O, as for "being able to plug someone", just be certain that you are in danger and have means to engage. There was a robbery attempt there not too long ago. The guard shot one and killed one. My friend said he was justified. He wasnt given a reward, but he was issued a week off with pay and had to see a shrink.

Comment

He wasnt given a reward, but he was issued a week off with pay and had to see a shrink.
                        Damn, we only get 3 days off. Got to talk to the FOP on this..

Comment

Wondering if there's anyone out there still looking at this topic. So I live in the Chicagoland area and been considering applying for Dunbar armored, anybody familiar with that company, and how is it working with them? I'm currently in the military (Air National Guard), posses a CDL, FOID card, I'm state certified to carry a weapon while on duty, I work for a local police department as an Auxliary officer. I'm thinking on applying for this position (driver/guard) to gain some experience and put it on my resume. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Airman14 View Post
                            ...I possess a CDL...I'm thinking on applying for this position (driver/guard) to gain some experience and put it on my resume...
                            Honestly, I would suggest that you look at a job as a correctional officer/deputy/jailer or community service officer, since you are looking for experience. Also, college/university security or hospital security might be an option. Is your CDL a Class A or B?

Comment

• Airman14
                              Airman14 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for the reply Jim1648, I've actually tested for several police departments and made the eligibility list for a handful of them, it's just a matter of getting the call. And my CDL is a Class A

Thanks Harry.. yeah in a life or death job you think they would pay more. Sadly, its a step up for me from regular security.lol Plus with the driving experience I think it will open up different avenues. Appreciate your response.
                            Why "life or death"? The thugs you're dealing with basically just want the money. GIVE IT TO THEM! 1) It's not your money, so no loss to you and 2) your employer or the owner of the money should have insurance to cover the losses.

NEVER endanger your life to protect something that can be replaced.
                            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8202 users online. 359 members and 7843 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X