300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So which places are ACTUALLY hiring?

I see a lot of towns/cities on the list in IL for testing, but which ones are actually looking to hire?

Unfortunately I am extremely poor and can't even afford some of these $25.00 applications. Especially if the place isn't even looking to hire.

Does anyone know who is actually hiring?

Sadly the only way to find out for sure is to test and get to the top of the list. In my experience some departments that said in orientation that they were looking at hiring three, hired none, while others that say maybe one have hired three. I can tell you that I am waiting for one of two final offers of employment from two south suburban departments. I know for a fact that these two departments have hired at least one officer each in the last 6 months. If you don't want to spend 25 dollars for just any department, just call up their HR of Police Board and ask about whether they are planning on hiring. Best of luck, I have been at it for a year and a half and am finally getting close.

Comment

Some places also have an application fee waiver that can be applied for due to financial hardship.

Comment

Keep your head up and test for the free ones as much as you can. I have been at it for 4 years and won't quit till I get hired. Try looking through the towns budgets to see if they are increasing head count. Best of luck. Do your best to have your current boss understand this is what you want to do. My old boss wouldn't give me the time I needed and thats why its taken so long. My new boss has let me take every test in the last 6 months. Sell some stuff on ebay

Comment

I'm not the biggest fan of Illinois mandating that each department have an active eligibilty list, but I can see why it's important. That's what usually causes the biggest complaints around here, the departments will advertise all over the place about doing a hiring process and then charge you $15-50 to take a test with no intention of actually hiring.

Just score high, sit tight, and hope they start picking off the list.

Comment

The whole idea of getting a new list every two years makes sense in an economy not like this one. From what I have been told, departments used to go through their whole list in that two year span, now we are lucky if they make it through the top ten. Like Mazury said, "Just score high" that is exactly what one of the chiefs told me at an orientation, he said that no matter how much I like you or how good a fit you will be with this job, if you don't do good on the test, it doesn't matter. The benefit of going to all these tests is you get better at taking them and if you are diligent you can go home and look up the words or questions you didn't know, so that way next time you will know the answer. There are like 3 or 4 main tests out there so once you take a certain test once, it doesn't change. Best of luck. And if you can test out of state, a lot of southern states are hiring.

Comment

Look no further than your hometown of Bloomington. They have 2 in the academy right now and just hired 2 more officers (although they were off a certified list). They plan to hire 2-4 more in the next year. BPD tests year round but they don't list the testing dates online. I suggest giving their HR a call if you're interested.

Forewarning, Bloomington strongly prefers certified officers and people with military experience. They do NOT give preference points for a college degree. Not sure how this applies to you but just thought I'd give you the heads up before you forked over the $25.

Comment

You really just need to get on as many lists as possible as they come up. A bunch of places weren't hiring when I tested, but have moved through the list since the test.

Comment

What's your background, are you a veteran, disabled veteran? This all can make a difference where you apply. There are federal agencies that are hiring police if you are willing to move. usajobs has quite a few listings, but federal agencies usually hire veterans before non-veterans. There is a trick to getting veteran preference jobs to show more jobs than those that are public announcements.
                  GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Detroit PD is ALWAYS hiring
                    Stay safe out there

"Cancel that central, its a moose"

Comment

It's a crap shoot so to speak, I was hired on a PD when the chief specifically said they weren't planning on hiring anybody for the next two years. 3 were hired from that particular test and went on to the academy. On the other hand, I've heard chiefs or the powers that be say they were going to hire 5-10 plus and they didn't hire anybody due to hire freezes, or some other money issue. It's not fun testing, but there's no other way around paying those pesky application fees.

Comment

Like goodfella said, it's a crap shoot.

I've seen departments that said "We'll higher 1 in the next 2 years" higher 5. I've seen departments that "anticipate 5 retires" in the next 2 years higher 0.

Also, like others have said, the 2 year thing seemed to work a lot better a few years ago. Most of the officers I know keep telling me how they always went through most of their list before the next test. Now I'd be surprised to get a call if I score lower than the teens.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
                          The hell with anyone else, just take the certified. It's getting old really fast . . .
                          Yes. Yes, it is.
                          Not only Illinois, but almost everywhere.

Comment

It seems like there isn't even much of a point in testing then since most departments won't hire you if you aren't certified

Comment

Originally posted by dstepha2 View Post
                              It seems like there isn't even much of a point in testing then since most departments won't hire you if you aren't certified
                              There is because that isn't the rule every where. I am waiting for the call from two departments with my final offer and I am not certified and not a veteran. It all depends. If you have the money and time to take these tests and want to be an officer in Illinois then take these tests.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5799 users online. 349 members and 5450 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X