Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ochave000
    replied
    probably when you enter the academy, seems a few places do it like that, but the very idea they would give an offer of employment and have someone fail the POWER is mind boggling since you spent time and paying for polygraphs and physchs etc...

Leave a comment:

• M.C.S.D
    replied
    I dont see a step in there for the POWER test.... do they not do one?

Leave a comment:

• mjw5678
    replied
    Yep after a foot pursuit. That place went up for grabs a quit few times. .

Leave a comment:

• dogcop
    replied
    Only a fool would say there's nothing to be afraid of with certain gangbangers. A wannabe with a gun is just a dangerous. I remember when Summit had an OIS a number of years back by Argo HS. Myself and a half dozen other towns were out there in the rain for about 8 hours because the place was going up for grabs as we tried to restore order.
    Last edited by dogcop; 04-29-2011, 08:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mjw5678
    replied
    Here is the link for Summits Uniform Crime Reports

http://www.summitpd.net/ucr.htm

Leave a comment:

• mjw5678
    replied
    Originally posted by JG0304 View Post
    I know there are a few gangs there but nothing to be afraid of. But then again these gangbangers now are alot different then when I was growing up in the late 80's and early 90's. Them guys would be out there all day and night on the block. They were willing to take an *** whooping. These kids now are soft, they all want to talk about how they got a lawsuit cause a cop grabbed him by the arm and put him in a squad.
    Crime is high in Summit and gangs are extremely active. Some of the high ranking Kings swept up during operation broken crown came from Summit and the local area including the Lenzi Kings who where in town regularly. In fact the informant that broke the case open was a Lenzi King. The GDs are very active south of 63rd st and according to some I talk to who still work there shootings have gone up considerably the last few years. Felonies where a dime a dozen if you opened your eyes and wanted one. Does it compare to a busy gang infested district in Chicago, no, but its not slow.

As DogCop stated the town is broken up. The north side from about 51st st around I55 is whites and section 8 apartments with a mix of whites and hispanics. The latin Saints where active in that area. South of Archer till about 59th was white and mostly older people. From 60th south of Archer bridge was all latin kings till 63rd st, south of 63rd was all GD's.

Coming through town you have alot of 26, Ambrose, Vice lords etc. I wouldnt leave my car or house unlocked anywhere in Summit because burglaries where and im sure still common. Back in the 90s the projects south of 63rd where a war zone between the Vice Lords and GDs fighting for the Apartments.

Im pretty sure the sec 8 south of 63rd where closed down, but it has not stopped the crime. And yes we had DogCop and his partner running through cars often. Along many others from his town backing us regulary.
    Last edited by mjw5678; 04-29-2011, 07:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JG0304
    replied
    I know there are a few gangs there but nothing to be afraid of. But then again these gangbangers now are alot different then when I was growing up in the late 80's and early 90's. Them guys would be out there all day and night on the block. They were willing to take an *** whooping. These kids now are soft, they all want to talk about how they got a lawsuit cause a cop grabbed him by the arm and put him in a squad.

Leave a comment:

• JG0304
    replied
    My wife's family is in the hispanic area. Even she recalls growing up there not having to even lock there doors at night or when anyone was home. I remember when we first started dating and we would go to her mom's house and she would just walk right in cause the door was unlocked. To me that was crazy since I grew up in Pilsen. We'd lock the door five times before we went to bed at night.

Leave a comment:

• dogcop
    replied
    Originally posted by JG0304 View Post
    I don't know about shootings every night there. My in-law lives there and it's really quiet. Sure there are alot of domestics.
    Summit is a neighborhood segregated town like most of Chicago is. Whites live in one part, Blacks other, and Hispanics in the other. So some parts are busier than others. When I was on a neighboring PD and K9 I was in Summit a decent amount of time. I had a lot of fun and good stories from there. I liked a lot of the guys from there too. But I left my old PD for my new one 5 years ago so I don't know what things might have changed. Summit was decently busy. Was certainly busier than my old PD, but I would say less busy than my current. But with a town like Summit that might just have 3-4 guys working at a time, an "average" call night can get crazy.

Leave a comment:

• JG0304
    replied
    Negative. With all their extra pay for duty availability, uniform allowance, etc. I believe my wife was at about mid 80's last year with 5 years on. That also included a bit of court time. But that was minimal. She's lucky if she went to court once a month.

Leave a comment:

• 3531Marine
    replied
    I remember looking at the Chicago pay scale and it looked like it took 10 years to get to 70k, unless I didn't read it correctly.

Leave a comment:

• JG0304
    replied
    Originally posted by Exodus259
    They make less then Cook County Corrections and deal with shootings every night?? That's pretty ridiculous.
    I don't know about shootings every night there. My in-law lives there and it's really quiet. Sure there are alot of domestics.

Leave a comment:

• JG0304
    replied
    Put it this way. When my wife had her 3rd or 4th year on Chicago she was making more than 20 year vets at the county.

Leave a comment:

• 3531Marine
    replied
    How much does county top out at?

Leave a comment:

• mjw5678
    replied
    You have to remember Cook CO has a bigger budget. Summit is a great place to be the Police and do Police work. Dont make the mistake of making it about the money. Summit is alot of fun and a great group of guys. Test, get on the list and hope they hire. You will enjoy it if you are looking forward to being exposed to alot and learning alot everyday.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8224 users online. 272 members and 7952 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X