300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JG0304 View Post
    I don't know about shootings every night there. My in-law lives there and it's really quiet. Sure there are alot of domestics.
    Summit is a neighborhood segregated town like most of Chicago is. Whites live in one part, Blacks other, and Hispanics in the other. So some parts are busier than others. When I was on a neighboring PD and K9 I was in Summit a decent amount of time. I had a lot of fun and good stories from there. I liked a lot of the guys from there too. But I left my old PD for my new one 5 years ago so I don't know what things might have changed. Summit was decently busy. Was certainly busier than my old PD, but I would say less busy than my current. But with a town like Summit that might just have 3-4 guys working at a time, an "average" call night can get crazy.
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

My wife's family is in the hispanic area. Even she recalls growing up there not having to even lock there doors at night or when anyone was home. I remember when we first started dating and we would go to her mom's house and she would just walk right in cause the door was unlocked. To me that was crazy since I grew up in Pilsen. We'd lock the door five times before we went to bed at night.

Comment

I know there are a few gangs there but nothing to be afraid of. But then again these gangbangers now are alot different then when I was growing up in the late 80's and early 90's. Them guys would be out there all day and night on the block. They were willing to take an *** whooping. These kids now are soft, they all want to talk about how they got a lawsuit cause a cop grabbed him by the arm and put him in a squad.

Comment

I know there are a few gangs there but nothing to be afraid of. But then again these gangbangers now are alot different then when I was growing up in the late 80's and early 90's. Them guys would be out there all day and night on the block. They were willing to take an *** whooping. These kids now are soft, they all want to talk about how they got a lawsuit cause a cop grabbed him by the arm and put him in a squad.
          Crime is high in Summit and gangs are extremely active. Some of the high ranking Kings swept up during operation broken crown came from Summit and the local area including the Lenzi Kings who where in town regularly. In fact the informant that broke the case open was a Lenzi King. The GDs are very active south of 63rd st and according to some I talk to who still work there shootings have gone up considerably the last few years. Felonies where a dime a dozen if you opened your eyes and wanted one. Does it compare to a busy gang infested district in Chicago, no, but its not slow.

As DogCop stated the town is broken up. The north side from about 51st st around I55 is whites and section 8 apartments with a mix of whites and hispanics. The latin Saints where active in that area. South of Archer till about 59th was white and mostly older people. From 60th south of Archer bridge was all latin kings till 63rd st, south of 63rd was all GD's.

Coming through town you have alot of 26, Ambrose, Vice lords etc. I wouldnt leave my car or house unlocked anywhere in Summit because burglaries where and im sure still common. Back in the 90s the projects south of 63rd where a war zone between the Vice Lords and GDs fighting for the Apartments.

Im pretty sure the sec 8 south of 63rd where closed down, but it has not stopped the crime. And yes we had DogCop and his partner running through cars often. Along many others from his town backing us regulary.
          Last edited by mjw5678; 04-29-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Here is the link for Summits Uniform Crime Reports

http://www.summitpd.net/ucr.htm

Comment

Only a fool would say there's nothing to be afraid of with certain gangbangers. A wannabe with a gun is just a dangerous. I remember when Summit had an OIS a number of years back by Argo HS. Myself and a half dozen other towns were out there in the rain for about 8 hours because the place was going up for grabs as we tried to restore order.
              Last edited by dogcop; 04-29-2011, 07:27 PM.
              www.saveavet.org

Comment

Yep after a foot pursuit. That place went up for grabs a quit few times. .

Comment

I dont see a step in there for the POWER test.... do they not do one?

Comment

probably when you enter the academy, seems a few places do it like that, but the very idea they would give an offer of employment and have someone fail the POWER is mind boggling since you spent time and paying for polygraphs and physchs etc...

Comment

I bet that Studio 63 is a problem on the weekends.
                      Wow I guess parts of Summit is a hidden gang haven. I was just speaking of experience of being in that village alot in past few years. Thought it was pretty quiet.
                      As far as the gangbangers I had a few run ins with some of the kings over by Famous and then some knuckle head kids who maybe were GD's. Brother in law got suckered punched a few years ago on the way home from Argo by a young group of black kids. He and I went back over there and found them still in the same spot trying to [email protected]^* with the kids coming home from practice. When we got there they all scattered.
                      I just say they aren't anything to be afraid of cause that's what they want is for you to be afraid. Found that out as young kid coming home from school. These punks would chase me home or most the time catch me and give me a beating. Till I started fighting back and whopping some of their *****#S. Won some, lost some. I'm in no way saying I'm a bad ***** cause all the bad *****e$ are in jail or dead. But once they figured out I wasn't scared of them anymore they moved on to other kids.

Comment

I bet that Studio 63 is a problem on the weekends.
                        Wow I guess parts of Summit is a hidden gang haven. I was just speaking of experience of being in that village alot in past few years. Thought it was pretty quiet.
                        As far as the gangbangers I had a few run ins with some of the kings over by Famous and then some knuckle head kids who maybe were GD's. Brother in law got suckered punched a few years ago on the way home from Argo by a young group of black kids. He and I went back over there and found them still in the same spot trying to [email protected]^* with the kids coming home from practice. When we got there they all scattered.
                        I just say they aren't anything to be afraid of cause that's what they want is for you to be afraid. Found that out as young kid coming home from school. These punks would chase me home or most the time catch me and give me a beating. Till I started fighting back and whopping some of their *****#S. Won some, lost some. I'm in no way saying I'm a bad ***** cause all the bad *****e$ are in jail or dead. But once they figured out I wasn't scared of them anymore they moved on to other kids.
                        Yea Studio 63 keeps ya busy. The area around ElFamous, El Farrol the BBQ place etc is a hot spot cause everybody has to eat. The kings I know used to hang on the Corner by Famous all the time.

Comment

Does Summit have any special units or officers assigned to regional task forces?
                          Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Comment

They have one in a task force currently and if its the same officer hes been in forever. I do not believe he has been pulled out or will be. They have investigations and used to have a tact unit, not sure if they still do it revolved around manpower/injuries etc. Swat team for sure. I do not believe they have formed any others.

Comment

I would bet their Dets are in the South Sub. Major Crimes TF..Almost all the towns are..

Comment

Honestly when I was there we had 1 Lt in investigations and if manpower was up we may have had up to 3 Dets (counting the LT). I believe right now its the same Lt and 1 other (det). When we had a homicide (s) we worked it ourself, I believe for one of them we had a State Police Investigator helping. I wouldnt doubt that one of them is in the Major Crimes though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9602 users online. 453 members and 9149 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X