300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducomm Telecommunicator job

can anyone give any feedback on this job? pros/cons. I have a lot of friends who are cops but do not know any Telecommunicators. How is the job? is it rewarding or is it thankless job with a high turnover rate?

any advice or feedback would be helpful. Thank you.

Feel free to PM me.

Comment

Are you looking for feedback in general about being a TC or specifically about being a TC at DuCom?

Comment

One thing to consider about DUCOMM is the fact that you could end up dispatching Fire, or end up dispatching for police. Eventually you will be cross trained, but it is primarily one or the other -not both. So if you have a specific interest in law enforcement, this might not be the T/C job for you. No doubt that fire dispatch will get you equivocal experience, but if you are interested in police dispatching only, you might end up being unhappy.

Comment

If you have questions about being a T/C you can PM me. I don't know anything about ducomm except they pay well.

Edit: I didn't see their requirement for previous experience. I guess that rules out questions about being a T/C.

Comment

Originally posted by Criminalgrrl View Post
            Are you looking for feedback in general about being a TC or specifically about being a TC at DuCom?
            any feedback or advice is always great.

Comment

Originally posted by raf1919 View Post
              any feedback or advice is always great.
              Well what do you want to know?

I was a TC for about 4 years when I got out of high school before I started testing to be come a cop at 21. I have dispatched 4 years in a multijurisdictional communications center like DUCOM (didn't actually work for Ducom though) and dispatched almost 4 years full time for single agencies (1 only dispatched their PD and the other agency dispatched both PD and FD).

It was a great job for me to gain experience and learn some things before I became an officer. I wouldnt take back the experiences I had from it, however, now being an officer I wouldnt want to go back and do it again....unless I had to for say disability/injury or retirement.

Any questions you have, PM me.

Even without experience, I would apply any. I know a couple people who tested for DuCom, without experience, and eventually they were hired on anyway. A Com center would be a smarter choice now anyway to go to versus a single agency due to the fact that most single agencies are planning to get rid of their inhouse dispatching and switch to a Com center or created their own with other single departments in the area.

When I first started dispatching I thought "oh great, how the heck am I gonna get experience in dispatching if every damn department advertising a job say they want experience?!" Well I applied anyway and I got the job. Plus, you have to think that a lot of the candidates with experience who are trying to switch agencies....a lot of them have been department or agency hoppers going from one TC job to the next...and that doesnt look to the currebnt agency they are applying for bc what's to say they arent going to do the same when they are hired there?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6409 users online. 358 members and 6051 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X