Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do police departments require for their officers to carry a certain brand handgun?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do police departments require for their officers to carry a certain brand handgun?

If there is what brands are excluded?? I was out gun shopping today and i was told that certain police depts require that you carry certain brand guns. I really liked the Taurus PT-92 Large Frame 9mm Pistol, but i didnt want to buy it if i couldnt use it in the future.

I certainly wouldn't be carrying a Taurus if my life depended on it.

I certainly wouldn't be driving a Taurus unless I was Robocop.

Comment

Originally posted by DC27 View Post
      And you wanted to look "1980's Cool."

Comment

Originally posted by DC27 View Post
        I certainly wouldn't be carrying a Taurus if my life depended on it.

Why not the S.U.X 3000...?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob767 View Post
          If there is what brands are excluded?? I was out gun shopping today and i was told that certain police depts require that you carry certain brand guns. I really liked the Taurus PT-92 Large Frame 9mm Pistol, but i didnt want to buy it if i couldnt use it in the future.
          New Chicago officers can only buy a Smith and Wesson M&P, Glock, or Springfield XD. Veteran officers have been grandfathered in and can carry some other firearms...

As far as the Taurus is concerned, I think you might have a problem finding a place that allowed it. Even so... Why go with imitation when the original is available and widely accepted?! The Beretta 92 is used in many many departments and also by the military.

Comment

why do I carry a .45? Because they don't make a .46

Comment

Originally posted by goodfella View Post
              why do I carry a .45? Because they don't make a .46
              But they make a .50!
              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

Actually there are federal agencies that use only certain makes. D.O.D. only use Beretta 92F 9mm, Veteran Affairs Police Beretta 92D or Sig P229DAK both 9mm. I believe U.S. Custom and Border Protection is H&K. It is all dependent on agency. Some agencies allow for personal weapon as long as it is a certain calibre, some have lists of makes and models that are authorized if purchased by the officer.
                GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I know for fact D.O.D. Beretta 92F 9mm. Veteran Affairs Police Beretta 92D or Sig P229DAK both 9mm. Some departments have specific calibre limit, some have and actual list of authorized weapons if bought by the officer. It all depends on the agency you might get a different answer from different agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob767 View Post
                    The Taurus PT-92 is a licensed copy of the Beretta 92F but made in Brazil by Taurus. It's the exact same gun and the magazine for the Taurus works in a Beretta vice versa.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...ategory=Pistol

Comment

Wait til you get hired. Then you wont have to worry about it.
                      For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

If the dept issues you a gun, you won't have to worry. Some depts mandate that you use what they give you. If you want a gun, just get one you would carry off-duty or keep at home.

Comment

Seriously.....just wait until you get hired and then decide what is needed. You might want a 40 or a 45 and your agency will tell you to get a 9mm. Dont put the cart before the horse!!
                          You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

I agree about the Taurus. Not a duty gun. Furthermore each dept may have diff requirements so wait quntill you get hired

Comment

The Taurus PT-92 is junk. I'd say 1 in 100 rounds on mine a spent shell casing gets jammed ejecting and then the slide rams on it. I would never put my life in the hands of that gun.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4445 users online. 280 members and 4165 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X