300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling on an airplane with your firearm

Has anybody ever travelled with their firearm on an airplane? Any advice on what to do such as what type of gun case to use and wether it has to be in a suitcase, and what to carry your ammo in?

Try your search function.

This question has been answered numerous times.....
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Go read about it on the TSA website.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Unless your a federal law enforcement officer dont even try it.

Comment

Correction.Thought you meant actually carrying it on your person. If memory serves me correctly you have to declarethe firearm or risk alot of hassle if its found and not declared.

Comment

Originally posted by paul190 View Post
            Unless your a federal law enforcement officer dont even try it.
            Huh....?

He (as well as anyone) can bring a firearm(s) in their Checked baggage........as they follow the above listed TSA Guidelines.....

Comment

Double post.....

Comment

I've flown with my gun many times and couldn't be easier.
                1. Make sure gun is unloaded, I leave slide locked back and ejection port visible. Empty mags and put bullets in original box or appropriate plastic case.
                2. Lock the above in a hard sided case (such as original gun box with a key lock) and put it in what will be your checked baggage.
                3. At airport you MUST go to the ticket counter and as you are checking in declare you have a handgun. Agent will hand you a very simple card to fill out. Agent might or might not ask you to open case.
                4. This applies to Midway Airport. You will then be told to bring your luggage to the TSA counter. At TSA hand them the card and tell them why you are there. They'll ask you to open the case. They'll briefly look, swab your luggage for explosives (never understood this...lol). You will then relock and close everything up and off your bag goes. For O'Hare I haven't flown out of there forever so I forget their procedure.

It adds about 10 minutes or so to getting through. I've never had a problem and it's been easy.
                www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
                  I've flown with my gun many times and couldn't be easier.
                  1. Make sure gun is unloaded, I leave slide locked back and ejection port visible. Empty mags and put bullets in original box or appropriate plastic case.
                  2. Lock the above in a hard sided case (such as original gun box with a key lock) and put it in what will be your checked baggage.
                  3. At airport you MUST go to the ticket counter and as you are checking in declare you have a handgun. Agent will hand you a very simple card to fill out. Agent might or might not ask you to open case.
                  4. This applies to Midway Airport. You will then be told to bring your luggage to the TSA counter. At TSA hand them the card and tell them why you are there. They'll ask you to open the case. They'll briefly look, swab your luggage for explosives (never understood this...lol). You will then relock and close everything up and off your bag goes. For O'Hare I haven't flown out of there forever so I forget their procedure.

It adds about 10 minutes or so to getting through. I've never had a problem and it's been easy.
                  Thanks. Maybe once they ask me for my credentials it will make things easier.

Comment

Huh? Your credentials don't mean anything. They won't ask to see them and you won't be showing them. You are transporting your gun as a private citizen and not as a LEO.
                    www.saveavet.org

Comment

Huh? Your credentials don't mean anything. They won't ask to see them and you won't be showing them. You are transporting your gun as a private citizen and not as a LEO.
                      I've shown my badge/ID when flying when a checked firearm to the Airlines and it sure did go a lot damn faster.....

Comment

Originally posted by chi-cook View Post
                        Thanks. Maybe once they ask me for my credentials it will make things easier.
                        What? For what reason would you are a Correctional officer even be carrying your credentials on your person to fly? They won'e ask for them and you do not need to announce who you are, it will be pointless.
                        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

They can come in handy in cutting off questions, especially if you happen to be in a state where carrying a weapon is very unusual. Definitely good to have if you are flying out of New York City or New Jersey. Even helpful once in California, because the baggage agent was married to an LAPD officer.

Because you have to check your luggage at the baggage counter rather than curbside, checking a weapon in your luggage can add a lot of time.
                          Last edited by DAL; 03-29-2011, 06:17 PM.
                          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

you ever where a shirt that says "UNDERCOVER?"

lol, don't be that guy

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                              I've shown my badge/ID when flying when a checked firearm to the Airlines and it sure did go a lot damn faster.....
                              Just curious what got sped up? Their procedure is their procedure, really no shortcuts. To begin with I've flown out of many airports and it's never added much time. As long as you abide by their rules and have it cased properly your profession is irrelevant. Now I'm not saying you can't drop a friendly "I'm a cop" and smile and leave it at that if your agent seems a bit flustered, but you don't have to go pulling out your creds as a normal course of action. And I certainly wouldn't be answering questions from the TSA that go beyond the scope of the issue at hand. Obviously if an on duty LEO has to talk to me I'd ID myself to him. Of course if you feel you are getting a runaround you request the TSA Supervisor or the airline agents supervisor. Maybe I've just always had good luck, but I've probably flown with my gun 15 times with no issues.
                              Last edited by dogcop; 03-29-2011, 08:19 PM.
                              www.saveavet.org

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6414 users online. 365 members and 6049 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X