300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo Grove Police Department

Did anyone go to the Orientation on Saturday? Debating making the trip out there tomorrow. I have been #13 on the current list for the past two years and have not heard a thing. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Will be attending the orientation this evening. What is going on tomorrow?

Comment

Went there for an orientation about 30 years ago. Some boss stood on stage in the auditorium and said "If you're looking for action, go to Chicago. We are a service oriented Department." Then, in an auditorium with about 500 people in it, over the PA comes "Will the person with a silver Buick Regal, License number XXX XXX, please go to the parking lot, you're headlights are on." I got up, went to the lot and drove off..LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
        Went there for an orientation about 30 years ago. Some boss stood on stage in the auditorium and said "If you're looking for action, go to Chicago. We are a service oriented Department." Then, in an auditorium with about 500 people in it, over the PA comes "Will the person with a silver Buick Regal, License number XXX XXX, please go to the parking lot, you're headlights are on." I got up, went to the lot and drove off..LOL
        You have either worked/ or applied to every department in Illinois LOL Write a book!

Comment

This was one of the few north places that I applied for.Mostly west and south. Didn't have the advantage of the Internet that you have now. Had to find them in the newspaper. Most of those advertised in their local papers. The same stuff applied then that do now, with tests being given from different places at the same time. Only good thing then was that not a lot charged for apps, whereas most do now. Worked both those areas (west and south) and add that to the places investigations took me, you get to meet a bunch of guys from different PD's. A bunch of those ended up being lifelong friends.

Comment

Would you say it is tougher to get hired now or back then?

Comment

It really depended on the Dept. Back then, one I was hired at there were 3000 at the orientation and about 500 going into the oral board. One there was about 16 of us going into the oral. The residency rules were far different than now. Some you had to be an actual resident for a certain amount of time to take the test. Some you had to live in a certain radius or only in neighboring communities to take the test. Being most advertised in local papers, usually only people from that area knew about and took the tests. No such thing as Blue Line. Now everyone knows about tests being given all over. Back then, a lot of PD's would look at you as over qualified with a 4 yr degree. The average testing to oral process took a minimum of 6 months. You weren't going to hear anything about what you did on your written in a few weeks as you do now. That's why I laugh at people's impatience now when they test. I remember only 1 or 2 places that told us at the orientations that they were only testing for a list. After that was said, half the room walked out. Most were hiring several P/O's. That's because Viet Nam era guys were retiring. Now the guys that replaced them are retiring, so hiring should be up, but the economy tanked that. On CPD, when I was hired and the year before, about 2000 were hired. Those are retiring now or in the next few years, so hiring will accelerate.

One thing is that the Police-Fire Commissioners are all residents or bussinessmen from that town. I still believe that all things being equal (and maybe not so equal), the applicant that is from the area will get the job over one that doesn't live or have ties to the area (at least at a lot west and south burbs).

I'd say easier now because you have the information on tests all over, there are no residency clauses to take the tests, and a lot of PD's that would only hire local people now give a shot to everyone regardless on where they live. Downside is the economy right now. That would be the biggest detriment with getting on right now. That will get better in time as the economy gets better.
              Last edited by ChiTownDet; 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM.

Comment

FYI...

127 at the Saturday orientation.
                291 at the Tuesday orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjaga View Post
                  FYI...

127 at the Saturday orientation.
                  291 at the Tuesday orientation.
                  Any openings?

Comment

not from what I heard....

Comment

Originally posted by RPG View Post
                      Any openings?
                      From what I recall, they have 5 spots reserved in a September academy class at SLEA. Pending retirements, they hope to have each of those spots filled.

Comment

I wouldn't count on it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6732 users online. 355 members and 6377 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X