Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting hired by a police dept in Illinois...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting hired by a police dept in Illinois...

Hi guyz, i'm just curious do you guyz think that it would be easier to get empolyed by a police department out of the state of illinois?? because it seems to me as all of the local muncipal depts are in some kind of debt and they all are just posting jobs listings jst to form a list and collect the $$$.. what do you think???

I think its a recession and it won't be a couple years until things start turning around. Its going to be a grind.
    one point twenty one jiggowatts....ONE POINT TWENTY ONE JIGGOWATTS!!!

Comment

Some places are hiring...some aren't. There are some places in the country where the population is growing and they are still hiring a lot. Just remember that even though its slow, illinois still needs cops too.
      For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by MtGWOOD06 View Post
        I think its a recession and it won't be a couple years until things start turning around. Its going to be a grind.
        smh yea you are right... but it seems more difficult in illinois.. im seriously contemplating a change of scenery..

Comment

yea we do! the thing is we need more cops in jst about every city!! lol

Comment

Out of state is the way to go if you have nothing holding you back in Illinois. I tested at a few out of state departments, and got picked up last December. Now I'm in warmer weather, 10 minutes from the ocean, and about to start week 9 of the academy. My class started with 35 people, and we're down to 33. (We're all the same department). The funniest/kind of sad part is a lot of my classmates only applied to this department and maybe one other. They were shocked when I told them I tested for around 8 or 9 departments.

It did kind of suck though last week when I got a call from a department in IL that wanted me to finish their process and send me to an academy at the beginning of April, but I love it out here, and the department I'm with is much, much bigger with a lot more places to go. So if you can afford it, and don't really have much of a reason to stay in IL, out of state could be your ticket. There are a lot of places in the US that are hiring and that have a relatively quick hiring process. (I applied in Feb '10, tested in June '10, signed the offer Dec '10).

Comment

Originally posted by dansik View Post
              Out of state is the way to go if you have nothing holding you back in Illinois. I tested at a few out of state departments, and got picked up last December. Now I'm in warmer weather, 10 minutes from the ocean, and about to start week 9 of the academy. My class started with 35 people, and we're down to 33. (We're all the same department). The funniest/kind of sad part is a lot of my classmates only applied to this department and maybe one other. They were shocked when I told them I tested for around 8 or 9 departments.

It did kind of suck though last week when I got a call from a department in IL that wanted me to finish their process and send me to an academy at the beginning of April, but I love it out here, and the department I'm with is much, much bigger with a lot more places to go. So if you can afford it, and don't really have much of a reason to stay in IL, out of state could be your ticket. There are a lot of places in the US that are hiring and that have a relatively quick hiring process. (I applied in Feb '10, tested in June '10, signed the offer Dec '10).
              wow congratz!! class of 33?? thts amazing..lol you are makin me wanna pack up and leave now! lol how did u go about applying?? because i dont wanna move somewhere else and play the waiting game like i am now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob767 View Post
                Hi guyz, i'm just curious do you guyz think that it would be easier to get empolyed by a police department out of the state of illinois?? because it seems to me as all of the local muncipal depts are in some kind of debt and they all are just posting jobs listings jst to form a list and collect the $$$.. what do you think???
                Big myth. Police departments do not profit from police tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob767 View Post
                  wow congratz!! class of 33?? thts amazing..lol you are makin me wanna pack up and leave now! lol how did u go about applying?? because i dont wanna move somewhere else and play the waiting game like i am now.
                  Yep, my department seems like they are a hiring machine. They're running 2 academies a year it seems (August and February). At least that's what they did this year (Aug 10, Feb 11), and I believe they've got plans for the same this year (Aug 11, Feb 12). It seems like the classes are usually around 20-30 people each.

I didn't move until I was hired. When I was looking at out of state departments, I had a checklist of everything I wanted in a department, and a city. I then started finding departments that fit my criteria. Then I made sure to find out how many trips it would take, or if there was any consolidated testing for out of state applicants. Then I put in my application, and went from there. The department I got on with I had to make 3 trips (initial testing, polygraph/BI, and interview/psych/medical), and I flew out for the last two.

Comment

Yep, my department seems like they are a hiring machine. They're running 2 academies a year it seems (August and February). At least that's what they did this year (Aug 10, Feb 11), and I believe they've got plans for the same this year (Aug 11, Feb 12). It seems like the classes are usually around 20-30 people each.

I didn't move until I was hired. When I was looking at out of state departments, I had a checklist of everything I wanted in a department, and a city. I then started finding departments that fit my criteria. Then I made sure to find out how many trips it would take, or if there was any consolidated testing for out of state applicants. Then I put in my application, and went from there. The department I got on with I had to make 3 trips (initial testing, polygraph/BI, and interview/psych/medical), and I flew out for the last two.
                    Wow.. thanx a million for the info! i wasnt aware of ther being any consolidated tests for out of state applicants! U jst gave me hope

Comment

Dan,
                      You mind me asking where you got hired, or at least what state if you do not want to disclose. Thanks and good luck to you in the final week of your academy/state exams

Comment

I definitely recommend looking out of state if you can. I tested in Illinois for a year and a half and came close to getting hired on several occasions. Nothing ever panned out, and I ended up testing with an out of state department that did a recruiting event in Chicago. Three months later I was hired and I only had to make one trip there to do the psych/med/cvsa/physical. I ended up getting a conditional offer with an IL department a week before I moved so I turned it down, but you never know who will call you back. Test as much as you can and look for big city departments that do accelerated testing for out of staters or departments that come to IL for testing. Best of luck!

Comment

100 percent accurate.

Somebody sent me a link to New Mexico agencies. Tons of them are hiring, however, the pay scale looked really low on most of them.

Comment

Originally posted by goodfella View Post
                            100 percent accurate.

Somebody sent me a link to New Mexico agencies. Tons of them are hiring, however, the pay scale looked really low on most of them.
                            Yes but the cost of living is much lower in New Mexico. Illinois has a much higher cost of living, especially around Chicagoland.

Comment

Concur with everyone else. I start the academy with Dallas PD in 1 month. If you can afford out of state testing then it is definitely worth it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5158 users online. 306 members and 4852 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X