300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does CPD Sup have Authority to change age restrictions

Several people I know, including myself are getting together to write to CPD Superintendent to inquire and complain about the unfairness of not appointing individuals to position of PPO after their 40th birthday... Several officers have been hired on well after the age of 40...

Clout is of no use because of the Shakman law... besides, we wouldn't want any problems down the road...

So, can the Sup make an exception to the rule as has been done in the past or should we be addressing the question directly to the Sup?

Look at Jodi Weiss, hired for 3 years and recently left...

Rumor has it, (yes, until confirmed I believe it is a RUMOR...) the age requirement will be adjusted to accommodate applicants over 40 due to a new mayor, new Sup and other changes...

Thoughts and insights are welcome...
    Last edited by cpdhopeful08; 03-22-2011, 04:25 PM.

Curious just what exceptions have been made as to hiring a recruit after 40 yoa. Weis wasn't hired as a PPO. They can hire an exempt at just about any age. They just appointed Hillard as interim Supt. at 67 yo. Not sure, but when you checked, what did the rules for the Pension Board say as to hiring someone after 40 yoa? What did the City Personnel Code say about it? And the City Municipal Code? I'd check those all out before writing Hillard letters. BTW, if they hired anyone older than 43 yoa, they wouldn't be eligible for a pension, as mandatory retirement is 63 yoa.

Comment

Superintendent is not a king. Any ideas or changes he wants to implement that will affect a large amount of non-exempts still usually have to be run by any combination of the mayor, city council, law department, FOP, etc. I personally think that the Supt is a figurehead that works for the mayor, and takes credit when things are working and finds people to blame when things are going badly. At least Weis was. I think they tend to get more credit than they deserve, though there have been a couple that were still good bosses.

I personally work with a guy who was hired at 45ish. He had many years experience in a close suburb though. Do any of your guys writing the letters have experience? Without experience, I don't think you guys have a shot.

Comment

The age restrictions are actually in the Municipal Code. That 63 manditory retirement came after Townsend left at 67 or 68 yo. Because of his ties to Mayor Daley (the elder), he was 1st Dep. Supt. for Life. Also that one guy that they hired at 62 that spent all of about 4 months on the street before he had to retire brought about the 40 yo age limit on being hired. You can write all the letters to Hillard you want, but the City Council would have to change the ordinance. You got 50 of them to write to, I have no idea how many of those can actually read, though..Maybe stuffing the envelopes with USC may help..

Comment

Chitown Det,
          I didn't realize there were so many intricate parts to hiring individuals for a police officer. Exceptions I was referring to were those individuals who were hired after 40 yoa. I should have used the words, when hiring over 40 was allowed. I think that was about 10-15 years ago. Why then? And not now? Some people like myself are not so much concerned about having a pension, is it nice to have one, I'm sure it is but that would not be the impetus as to pursuing a career as an LEO.

Thanks for the insight as to where to address our concerns.
          I'm sure there are more individuals that feel the age discrimination pinch. While I am in better shape than a lot of officers in general, it makes one wonder what are they really looking for in a candidate... Heck, I run better than a few of my friends on TEAM CPD... lol...

Run2Remember is coming up! Never Forget!

Comment

In view of all of the pension and budget fiascos in place maybe you can dream. In its present makeup with the mandatory retirement age I would say no chance. Maybe there would be wiggle room with the 2 tiered plan they have for hirees after the first of the year, but who knows. Precedent may not be on your side. Uncle Sam has a cutoff hiring age of 37 for federal applicants and it is directly tied into the mandatory retirement age of 57. ISP also has a mandatory retirement age of 57....just food for thought.
            You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Two words...... home rule.

You also have to remember without home rule Illinois law states you can not be hired past you 35th birthday, unless you are prior law enforcement. The only departments exempt from this are home ruole and counties (due to SLEP).

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                Curious just what exceptions have been made as to hiring a recruit after 40 yoa. Weis wasn't hired as a PPO. They can hire an exempt at just about any age. They just appointed Hillard as interim Supt. at 67 yo. Not sure, but when you checked, what did the rules for the Pension Board say as to hiring someone after 40 yoa? What did the City Personnel Code say about it? And the City Municipal Code? I'd check those all out before writing Hillard letters. BTW, if they hired anyone older than 43 yoa, they wouldn't be eligible for a pension, as mandatory retirement is 63 yoa.
                I was told that they could count military time and deduct a few years from your age to make you eligible. That would help me if it is accurate because I will be 40 in March 2012 and I need to be in the academy before that.
                www.3ofheartsproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by LadyVetinwaitin View Post
                  I was told that they could count military time and deduct a few years from your age to make you eligible. That would help me if it is accurate because I will be 40 in March 2012 and I need to be in the academy before that.
                  You may be right on this one that active military could be deducted.

Comment

That would be a good thing!! It may help them reach their proposed 20% also. Especially if the hiring process takes as long as before

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4848 users online. 288 members and 4560 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X