300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Getaway...

Folks from the Chicago area, my wife has a conference in your fine city March 18-22. We'll actually be staying downtown in the hotel where the conference is and will arrive the afternoon of the 17th. I would like to get some ideas on what there is to offer a dad with his 4 year old son during the day while mom's busy, and then in evenings for the 3 of us. Also, as long as I have my badge/ID on me, are most place cop-friendly as far as carrying goes (obviously concealed)? Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Willis Tower skydeck or Hancock skydeck. Shedd Aquarium is fantastic along with the other museums.

Comment

Yep, Goodfella's suggestions are right on up there with what I was going to say. Also, check out the Children's Museum at Navy Pier - it is one of the state's top tourist attractions for kids, and I think it's perfect for your son's age group. Obviously, Millennium Park would be good to see. If the weather is good, Lincoln Park zoo would be a good choice -- it's the biggest and one of the last free zoos in the country, and I believe there is still a petting zoo area for kids. In the evenings, there's lots of family-friendly dining options, and tons of theater/plays in Theater district along Randolph -- I'm sure there are a few that are family/child-oriented right now. Otherwise I know there is a Children's Theater on Milwaukee in Wicker Park - address is 1464 N. Milwaukee.

I'm just an aspiring P.O., so I can't answer your question on the concealed weapon. I'm thinking probably not, as Chicago - and Illinois in general - has some pretty strict gun laws, and concealed is definitely illegal for civilians. There's some local P.O.'s on here though who I'm sure could answer that though in regards to sworn police from out-of-state.

Comment

The Museum of Science and Industry is a good choice, has an Imax as well. Millenium Park probably still has ice skating. A great secret for lunch is the Signature Room at the top of the Hancock Building. It only costs 9-15 dollars a person for some good food and when you consider the cost of the skydeck it is basically a free lunch with the same view. Well worth it, just ask for a window seat. Don't go for dinner unless you want to pay quite a bit more.

Comment

I'll echo some of the suggestions here. Definitely look at Navy Pier and the Children's Museum. It would be a blast for a four year old. The Museum of Science and Industry would be fun as well. The aquarium is always neat, since they have whales, dolphins, otters, etc... And if the weather is warmer, the Lincoln Park Zoo.

Navy Pier has a lot to offer for kids and adults alike. That might be a great starting point.

I can't comment on carrying, sorry.
          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

If you are a cop, you can carry. If weather is good, I would go with Buckingham Fountain, Lincoln Park Zoo. I would skip the skyscrapers observation deck, too expensive for a 4 year old to look and then be more interested in going back in the elevator. Going to the Water Tower is cool (one of the only buildings to survive the Chicago Fire). Museums are good, Science and Industry is the best one for kids by far, they have a running model train from Chicago to California. But let me urge you, bring your gun with you.
            one point twenty one jiggowatts....ONE POINT TWENTY ONE JIGGOWATTS!!!

Comment

Guys, these are great ideas! Keep 'em coming! Much appreciated.
              Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

The Sears Tower was half off or free on the star. All the ideas above are good. Navy pier for the kids, Shedd Aquarium are close to each other (walking distance) and will easily take up a day. Museum of Science and Industry is south along Lake Shore Dr. at 57th St. You'll enjoy that more than the 4 yo. He'll enjoy that a lot more when he gets in the 9, 10 11 yo range. If you go west on Ontario to LaSalle, theres' a whole bunch of resturants, Rock N Roll Micky D, Rainforest Cafe, Ed Debeviks, Portillo's, Hard Rock cafe, Hooters (had to throw it in..LOL). WLS , WMAQ,and WBBM TV do there 10pm news broadcasts in windows facing the street so people can watch the live news broadcasts.

Always keep your piece on you in this city, no matter where you are. You'll get absolutely no grief whatsoever from CPD. Also, if driving and get stopped, ID yourself right off the bat. Don't wait to be asked. You will get professional courtesy. Coppers get more mad here when they find out you are the Police after they start the ticket. Let them know upfront. As long as you stay on the north / mid north areas you should be fine. Pan handlers all over, tell them to phuk off and they leave you alone. They like to hang near the streetside ATM's and approach you after getting money out. These yuppies in this city get easily intimidated by them and give them money all the time which makes it worse. Don't hesitate to flag a squad for directions, problems. ID yourself and they'll take care of you.

Have fun, Stay safe..

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                  Pan handlers all over, tell them to phuk off and they leave you alone. They like to hang near the streetside ATM's and approach you after getting money out. Have fun, Stay safe..

lol

I never understood why the bums loitered around the ATM's. Obviously I'm outta cash and you're certainly not getting a 20 dollar bill.

Comment

I told a bum last week that he needs to get a credit card reader, because I'm not dumb enough to carry cash in my wallet downtown. His reply: "Damn man, that's a good idea. Everyone got credit cards now, no cash."
                    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

Willis Tower
                      The What tower now? Oh, sorry, you must have meant the Sears Tower!

You'll get absolutely no grief whatsoever from CPD. Also, if driving and get stopped, ID yourself right off the bat. Don't wait to be asked. You will get professional courtesy. Coppers get more mad here when they find out you are the Police after they start the ticket. Let them know upfront.
                      You're the police, they are the police, everyone is on the same team - identify as such in this city and carry at all times.

Have fun and stay safe.
                      Last edited by ModerateLiberal; 03-26-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

One thing about the Shedd Aquarium: the lines to get in have been looong recently. I don't know if there was a special promotion or anything, but the line outside was crazy when I drove by a few times in the last few weeks.

My four year old loved the Museum of Science & Industry a couple weeks ago.

If your 4 year old is like most kids, try Lego store at 520 N Michigan. There should be plenty for you to look at in that area as well because of the Magnificent Mile.

Find a Giordano's and try their deep dish before they are gone.

Everyone is right: Always carry your weapon, and ID yourself immediately to LEO.

Comment

ok so Gino's east pizza over Giordano's anyday!!! Not only awesome pizza, but an amazing surrounding as well.... and you HAVE to try Portillo's Italian Beef.... absolutely nothing like it!!

I also noticed a buy one get one free admission pass on the back of the diet pepsi can's that direct you to the museum and science and industry website...so that may be a good way to save a few bucks and see the place... kids would love it!

Comment

You call yourself Chicagoans????

Not one of you realized that he is arriving on March 17th!!

St. Patrick's Day in Chicago!! Dump the kid with a sitter, or the wife, and party!!
                            "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

<---This dumb polack was too busy celebrating Mardi Gras, Pulaski day, and Paczki Day! Sorry Irishman.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5056 users online. 288 members and 4768 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X