Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a777alam
    replied
    I don't think they should. I mean, what's the point of the names of registered gun owners in Illinois being made public? Haven't these people recently heard of the word "privacy"? It's basically just like this which is very disturbing and a real privacy invader. Assuming they did, I don't think I'd like everyone to know that I possess a gun. What for? If I had any argument with someone and he knew that I have a gun, wouldn't you think it may drive him nuts and might think of shooting me before I "do"? I know that sounds stupid but some people thing that way, believe me.

This really sounds pretty pointless to me. I don't know what came to the minds of these people for planning to do so but I can see threats surfacing from everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• ISPCAPT
    replied
    First of all, AG Madigan did not say anything about wanting to release FOID names. Some people are incapable of understanding what they're reading. In fact, Madigan publicly stated that she did not like the idea of releasing FOID names. What her opinion actually said was that the way the current FOIA was written it did not exclude FOID names from being released. Her opinion had nothing at all to do with what she personally felt should be released. She was ONLY handing down the opinion based on the IL FOIA statute. Unlike far too many, her office actually read the statute and was able to understand there was no exemption in the FOIA statute prohibiting the release of FOIA names. That hysteria was fostered by some of gun groups, one in particular which has a history of taking a bit of fact and adding a lot of made up hooey and excluding pertinent information to make it sound as if it's all true just to get support for their organization and funding. Such was the case quoted by the OP.
    Second, CityBlueSuit is correct. After AG Madigan pointed out that under the then IL FOIA statute there was nothing to prohibit releasing such records as the FOID names the IL Legislature passed an amendment to the statute to cover things such as FOID.

Leave a comment:

• musclefan21
    replied
    This is just ridiculous.
    Last edited by musclefan21; 08-12-2011, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cityblusuit
    replied
    It is a DEAD ISSUE!!!!!! Been so since mid-july. One of the few things the Governor signed without debate or controversy. FOr the non-believers here is the press release directly from the bill's sponsor state website....

Chicago, IL… Governor Quinn signed House Bill 3500 into law, ensuring the privacy of FOID Card holders across Illinois. HB 3500 was an initiative co-sponsored by Representative Joe Sosnowski in an effort to respect the privacy and safety of gun owners in Illinois.

“If allowed to stand, the ruling to make FOID Card holders names and addresses public would have been a tremendous disservice to Illinois citizens,” said Sosnowski. “Our job as elected officials is to protect the people we serve. Today, the governor signed a bill that does just that.”

Just a few months ago, the Attorney General’s office sent a letter to the Illinois State Police expressing the opinion that information about FOID Card holders sought by the Chicago Tribune and the Associated Press was not exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act. The Illinois State Police, which oversees the program, opposed the Attorney General’s ruling. The National Rifle Association also opposed releasing the names and addresses of FOID Card holders.

Before HB 3500 was signed into law, the FOID Act was silent on the disclosure issue while the Freedom of Information Act only allows certain limitations on what is exempt.

“This is a good day for public safety,” said Sosnowski. “Privacy is key to keeping people safe from harm. The last thing we want to do is give criminals a leg up on their potential victims.”"

Leave a comment:

• RMM
    replied
    This will never pass.............

Because then, since Driver's License info is public....................that should all be made public too.

Leave a comment:

• cityblusuit
    replied
    Wasnt this point made moot by a subsequent statute????????????????????? Dead Issue!!!

Leave a comment:

• Monty Ealerman
    replied
    If Lisa publishes ANY information about my FOID status then I don't see why I shouldn't feel free to publish EVERYTHING I know about her.

I don't want criminals to even know my whole name.

Better to keep 'em guessing.
    Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 08-12-2011, 06:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FlyChicaga
    replied
    I don't think CPD would have any issue with you having a handgun, as long as it is properly registered. I was asked about the Chicago firearms permit on a background check for another department. Having an unregistered handgun is a different story.

Leave a comment:

• EdwardV
    replied
    Originally posted by TuxEMS View Post
    EdwardV people in Chicago can have firearms in their residence as of last year. You have to jump through some hoops but it is well worth it
    Hmm, wasn't aware of that, Tux. I thought the McDonald vs. City of Chicago case was still ongoing about that right now; I think it involves handguns, specifically (not sure if rifles, shotguns are treated differently?). Anyway, I don't think CPD would take too kindly to my application if I list a handgun on my PHQ w/a Chicago address, so I don't think I'm gonna test the waters. If I'm lucky enough to get into the academy and on the job, I'll worry about it then.

Leave a comment:

• TuxEMS
    replied
    EdwardV people in Chicago can have firearms in their residence as of last year. You have to jump through some hoops but it is well worth it

Leave a comment:

• FlyChicaga
    replied
    Criminals are not stupid.

Step 1: Get stopped by officer, look at nametag.
    Step 2: Look up FOID card information.
    Step 3: Go on spokeo.com and get address.

Sorry, I don't think so. Petition signed.

Leave a comment:

• dm46
    replied
    It's still wrong but it's going to be the names and expiration dates of the cards. Not addresses etc.

Leave a comment:

• nichtssagend86
    replied
    Here's an online petition against all of this. Hopefully it will help some...

Leave a comment:

• EdwardV
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
    And since we all by general order must have an FOID, I'm not too keen on every mutt in the world looking up my address.
    No kidding. The reason why this is so disturbing to me is that not everyone that has an FOID card actually owns a weapon; I got mine just for this job application. Not to mention, how does this affect residents of Chicago, who with FOID or no FOID, are not allowed to have handguns within city limits? So the state is going to release the addresses of a bunch of Chicago residents w/have FOID cards but no firearms???

What's going on here?

Oh, not to mention, that if you are a police officer, your name is listed on your vest or shirt and I bet that soon enough criminals will put 2 and 2 together to figure out the next time a copper stops him, to make sure to get his name, provided then can look up his address later. Is there going to be an exemption for police officers?
    Last edited by EdwardV; 03-05-2011, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    And since we all by general order must have an FOID, I'm not too keen on every mutt in the world looking up my address.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4681 users online. 256 members and 4425 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X