Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, AG Madigan did not say anything about wanting to release FOID names. Some people are incapable of understanding what they're reading. In fact, Madigan publicly stated that she did not like the idea of releasing FOID names. What her opinion actually said was that the way the current FOIA was written it did not exclude FOID names from being released. Her opinion had nothing at all to do with what she personally felt should be released. She was ONLY handing down the opinion based on the IL FOIA statute. Unlike far too many, her office actually read the statute and was able to understand there was no exemption in the FOIA statute prohibiting the release of FOIA names. That hysteria was fostered by some of gun groups, one in particular which has a history of taking a bit of fact and adding a lot of made up hooey and excluding pertinent information to make it sound as if it's all true just to get support for their organization and funding. Such was the case quoted by the OP.
    Second, CityBlueSuit is correct. After AG Madigan pointed out that under the then IL FOIA statute there was nothing to prohibit releasing such records as the FOID names the IL Legislature passed an amendment to the statute to cover things such as FOID.
    183 FBINA

Comment

I don't think they should. I mean, what's the point of the names of registered gun owners in Illinois being made public? Haven't these people recently heard of the word "privacy"? It's basically just like this which is very disturbing and a real privacy invader. Assuming they did, I don't think I'd like everyone to know that I possess a gun. What for? If I had any argument with someone and he knew that I have a gun, wouldn't you think it may drive him nuts and might think of shooting me before I "do"? I know that sounds stupid but some people thing that way, believe me.

This really sounds pretty pointless to me. I don't know what came to the minds of these people for planning to do so but I can see threats surfacing from everywhere.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3307 users online. 133 members and 3174 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X