300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AG Madigan wants FOID card names made public...like a sex offender

Wow. Really reminds me of what they want to do with this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=7989383

March 2, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Should the names of registered gun owners in Illinois be made public? That's the question being debated by the Illinois attorney general and state police.

Related Content
    Story: Atty. general: Ill. should release FOID card list
    To buy a gun in Illinois, first you must have an FOID card, short for firearm owners identification. Illinois state police had always kept cardholder names private, but this week, Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan's office said the public has a right to that information.

At Illinois Gun Works in Elmwood Park reaction was swift and mostly negative.

"I'm concerned about any information that's on the internet, particularly that I'm owning a firearm," said gun owner Paul McCarthy.

"It's never been anybody's business but the gun owners and the state police," said gun owner Michael LaRose. "There's no reason, no viable reason, for this to be done. It's a privacy issue."

Wednesday, Madigan defended her office's decision to uphold a Freedom of Information Act request that would effectively publicize the names of registered Illinois gun owners.

The request for names by the Associated Press had been rejected by Illinois State Police, which administers the FOID process.

"The federal and state courts that have looked at these issues have said when you apply for some form of a license, that that is public information," said Madigan.

The issue may end up in the courts or the state legislature. Illinois State Police has said it will ask a judge to decide the matter.

And, at least two Republican-sponsored bills in the General Assembly would specifically make FOID information private, citing public safety concerns.

"It is not good policy in the State of Illinois to release the names so that criminals have a heads up as to who may or may not have a firearm in their home to protect themselves," said Sen. Kirk Dillard, (R) Hinsdale.

"My fear is there will be people that will buy guns illegally figuring that, well, nobody will know I have it," said Illinois Gun Works owner Don Mastrianni.

Madigan says the information made public would be limited to name and card expiration date, no addresses, photos or Social Security numbers.

"It's alright with me as long as all my information is not on there, like Social Security card or my house information, nothing like that," said gun buyer Carlos Crespo. "As long as it's just my name and my expiration date, that's fine with me."

It could be some time before any names are released. Wednesday, one of the bills in the General Assembly that would make FOID information private stalled in a House committee. there is another bill, however, working its way through the State Senate.

There are about 1.3 million people in Illinois who have one of these cards.

(Copyright ©2011 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Good to see the gov't is spending time on useful things.

Wednesday, Madigan defended her office's decision to uphold a Freedom of Information Act request that would effectively publicize the names of registered Illinois gun owners.
    And this is an ignorant comment since having a FOID card has nothing to do with owning a gun. I had a FOID for years without owning a gun, since you still need one to go to the range.

Comment

And since we all by general order must have an FOID, I'm not too keen on every mutt in the world looking up my address.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
        And since we all by general order must have an FOID, I'm not too keen on every mutt in the world looking up my address.
        No kidding. The reason why this is so disturbing to me is that not everyone that has an FOID card actually owns a weapon; I got mine just for this job application. Not to mention, how does this affect residents of Chicago, who with FOID or no FOID, are not allowed to have handguns within city limits? So the state is going to release the addresses of a bunch of Chicago residents w/have FOID cards but no firearms???

What's going on here?

Oh, not to mention, that if you are a police officer, your name is listed on your vest or shirt and I bet that soon enough criminals will put 2 and 2 together to figure out the next time a copper stops him, to make sure to get his name, provided then can look up his address later. Is there going to be an exemption for police officers?
        Last edited by EdwardV; 03-05-2011, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Here's an online petition against all of this. Hopefully it will help some...

Comment

It's still wrong but it's going to be the names and expiration dates of the cards. Not addresses etc.

Comment

Criminals are not stupid.

Step 1: Get stopped by officer, look at nametag.
              Step 2: Look up FOID card information.
              Step 3: Go on spokeo.com and get address.

Sorry, I don't think so. Petition signed.
              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

EdwardV people in Chicago can have firearms in their residence as of last year. You have to jump through some hoops but it is well worth it

Comment

Originally posted by TuxEMS View Post
                  EdwardV people in Chicago can have firearms in their residence as of last year. You have to jump through some hoops but it is well worth it
                  Hmm, wasn't aware of that, Tux. I thought the McDonald vs. City of Chicago case was still ongoing about that right now; I think it involves handguns, specifically (not sure if rifles, shotguns are treated differently?). Anyway, I don't think CPD would take too kindly to my application if I list a handgun on my PHQ w/a Chicago address, so I don't think I'm gonna test the waters. If I'm lucky enough to get into the academy and on the job, I'll worry about it then.

Comment

I don't think CPD would have any issue with you having a handgun, as long as it is properly registered. I was asked about the Chicago firearms permit on a background check for another department. Having an unregistered handgun is a different story.
                    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

If Lisa publishes ANY information about my FOID status then I don't see why I shouldn't feel free to publish EVERYTHING I know about her.

I don't want criminals to even know my whole name.

Better to keep 'em guessing.
                      Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 08-12-2011, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Wasnt this point made moot by a subsequent statute????????????????????? Dead Issue!!!
                        You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

This will never pass.............

Because then, since Driver's License info is public....................that should all be made public too.

Comment

It is a DEAD ISSUE!!!!!! Been so since mid-july. One of the few things the Governor signed without debate or controversy. FOr the non-believers here is the press release directly from the bill's sponsor state website....

Chicago, IL… Governor Quinn signed House Bill 3500 into law, ensuring the privacy of FOID Card holders across Illinois. HB 3500 was an initiative co-sponsored by Representative Joe Sosnowski in an effort to respect the privacy and safety of gun owners in Illinois.

“If allowed to stand, the ruling to make FOID Card holders names and addresses public would have been a tremendous disservice to Illinois citizens,” said Sosnowski. “Our job as elected officials is to protect the people we serve. Today, the governor signed a bill that does just that.”

Just a few months ago, the Attorney General’s office sent a letter to the Illinois State Police expressing the opinion that information about FOID Card holders sought by the Chicago Tribune and the Associated Press was not exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act. The Illinois State Police, which oversees the program, opposed the Attorney General’s ruling. The National Rifle Association also opposed releasing the names and addresses of FOID Card holders.

Before HB 3500 was signed into law, the FOID Act was silent on the disclosure issue while the Freedom of Information Act only allows certain limitations on what is exempt.

“This is a good day for public safety,” said Sosnowski. “Privacy is key to keeping people safe from harm. The last thing we want to do is give criminals a leg up on their potential victims.”"
                            You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

This is just ridiculous.
                              Last edited by musclefan21; 08-12-2011, 06:28 PM.
                              "Get a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3469 users online. 171 members and 3298 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X