300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lZephyrl View Post
    Does anyone who went to/is going to the Academy have the list of what we can and cant bring? We weren't given the forms our first orientation, so will get them the second orientation which will be 3 days before the academy. If I have to go and buy stuff, I would like to be prepared and have enough time.
    So if anyone can upload a picture or something, that would be great.

Merry Christmas everyone.
    Yes, I have that send me your email and I'll send you a picture of it.. I also have a 10 code list (shhhhh, don't think we're supposed to) I'm willing to share... apparently that and the range week are the "toughest " parts for people.

Comment

• Two, going on three days of radio silence!!?? Jeeze! How was everyone's holiday!?

Comment

• Enjoyed the last one off for a while!

Comment

• You really don't use a radio unless you're a platoon leader... They provide you with a 10 code list along with the 8 radio codes and the test won't cover all of them... The academy is easy especially the tests! The only test I would worry about is the written firearms test since you can get sent home if you don't pass... And you will have to know all the nomenclature of the weapons if I can remember correctly

Comment

• Oh I heard from my aw that a class will be going through after this one is done...

Comment

• Originally posted by MissMe30 View Post
              Oh I heard from my aw that a class will be going through after this one is done...
              What do you mean the next class is done? Will there be one or two classes in January?

Comment

• Originally posted by Runner84 View Post
                What do you mean the next class is done? Will there be one or two classes in January?
                I think she means around February 16th

Comment

• Originally posted by Bman4130 View Post
                  I think she means around February 16th
                  Oh okay, thanks!

Comment

• Yeah the class that starts Monday will wrap up the 13th of February so the 16th or maybe 23rd seems likely. If I hear anything while I'm there I'll be sure to pass it along.

Sidebar to anyone who is currently in... I'm interested to know what equipment you may need once on the job. When I was there for orientation I saw guys with full duty belts and some with just a uniform... from what the LT. told us at orientation, and I could have misinterpreted this, is only LT's SGT's, and CO's with assignments deemed worthy carry OC, and you check it in and out of the armory. At first end of the day I saw that same LT. turning in his cuffs to the armory as well... Bottom line point I'm he at us what out of pocket expenses might I be looking at after the academy , it seems like none.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus_C View Post
                      Yeah the class that starts Monday will wrap up the 13th of February so the 16th or maybe 23rd seems likely. If I hear anything while I'm there I'll be sure to pass it along.

Sidebar to anyone who is currently in... I'm interested to know what equipment you may need once on the job. When I was there for orientation I saw guys with full duty belts and some with just a uniform... from what the LT. told us at orientation, and I could have misinterpreted this, is only LT's SGT's, and CO's with assignments deemed worthy carry OC, and you check it in and out of the armory. At first end of the day I saw that same LT. turning in his cuffs to the armory as well... Bottom line point I'm he at us what out of pocket expenses might I be looking at after the academy , it seems like none.
                      Our Lt told us that everything we need is already available at the institution. We simply sign what we need out, and sign it back in before we leave. And yes it's personal preference as to what you want and or need to carry. Some officers feel more comfortable than others around inmates.

Comment

• You only get keys and a radio and depending on your assignment you carry cuffs. You just don't walk around with oc. Lieutenants and Majors are the only ones who carry. Sgts. Carry cuffs, keys, and radio. You just don't have liberty to sign anything from the armory out.

Comment

• You only get keys and a radio and depending on your assignment you carry cuffs. You just don't walk around with oc. Lieutenants and Majors are the only ones who carry oc. Sgts. Carry cuffs, keys, and radio. You just don't have liberty to sign anything from the armory out. This is at my institution

Comment

• Does anyone know if it's tough to transfer into large max facilities after the 18 months? Do they have large transfer opportunities?

Comment

• Originally posted by MissMe30 View Post
                              You only get keys and a radio and depending on your assignment you carry cuffs. You just don't walk around with oc. Lieutenants and Majors are the only ones who carry oc. Sgts. Carry cuffs, keys, and radio. You just don't have liberty to sign anything from the armory out. This is at my institution
                              Thanks...! when I was there, Stateville, for orientation I did see a bunch of guys walking in with ****, maybe it was just the holders...idk... one guy for sure though had sky blue handcuffs, lol, sure those were his... and all the SGT's (that I encountered at least) had OC, even the training SGT showing us around.

Seems as if there may be rules, but either they are lightly enforced or not technically written into policy so you can get away with it. Like vests, someone asked can he wear a vest, and the answer was, "We can't tell you not to, and if the state would pay for it I think we'd all have them!"
                              Last edited by Magnus_C; 12-29-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Totally off topic, but for all that are going to the upcoming academy, what type of job are you guys leaving and rate of pay? I'm leaving a job that pays 21.79 an hour. Only bad thing is, we don't have sick days or Personal days.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10195 users online. 451 members and 9744 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X