300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cpd2010* View Post
    should I show up to this test tomorrow in workout attire? the paper rec'd doesnt really say but im assuming yes?
    Did they tell you anything in the interview about receiving a call in a few weeks if you were chosen?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bman4130 View Post
      Did they tell you anything in the interview about receiving a call in a few weeks if you were chosen?
      nope. EVERYONE was told 8-10 weeks wed get our scores in the mail. only way that process speeds up is if a county we choose is hiring. then our files are chosen.
      Sometimes there's justice...sometimes there's just us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eiba View Post
        You guys are overthinking this. Just wait. If nothing, retest.
        Eiba is right gotta be patient. 3rd week of academy done. Did range all week. Very cold out lol

Comment

Does menard or Pontiac send quite a few thru?
          I hear Menard constantly hire. Ive heard of people being pulled that scored in the 30's when they mass hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigmanJ View Post
            I hear Menard constantly hire. Ive heard of people being pulled that scored in the 30's when they mass hire.
            ... not sure about that number, the letter you get with your score says that scores lower than like a 31 or something won't be called... don't remember the actual #, but there is a limit to how bad you can do and get called.

But again as we've previously stated, nothing is for sure with this system.

Comment

• Maybe the low changes every cycle depending on the average scores or something. Mine said 33 I believe.

Comment

• Yeah it should be mid 30's-40's, because the written test and interview combined can give you a maximum 50 points... some people applying may not have any of the other point producers (school, military, job history) .seeing as you can technically apply for this job at 18.

Speaking of that's something i've always wondered and we have nothing but time... let's say a 18 year old gets hired how does he/she weapon qualify and perform armed functions seeing as you have to be 21 to own, and ultimately handle a handgun in IL?

Comment

• Maybe they just do rifle qualifications and have to do pistol at 21.

Comment

• I just go done with range last week at the academy and I wondered the same thing. There's a couple 18 year Olds in our class including a 18 year old girl in my platoon and she qualified with the revolver, shotgun, and rifle just like everyone else. Maybe there's some exception in the law for persons working as peace officers.

Comment

• Originally posted by equalsword View Post
                      I just go done with range last week at the academy and I wondered the same thing. There's a couple 18 year Olds in our class including a 18 year old girl in my platoon and she qualified with the revolver, shotgun, and rifle just like everyone else. Maybe there's some exception in the law for persons working as peace officers.
                      Maybe, I don't have the answer... I'm sure I could Google it, but I'm going to assume if that was the case a lot of other departments would hire at 18. It's been my understanding that the hiring age is 21 for that very reason.

I also find it weird, because in Chicagoland your not real law enforcement unless you're PD...primarily CPD. Not sure how it is in other parts of the states, but judging from the IDOC off duty carry policy as written it seems the state agrees. I'm also not sure why this is, but yeah CPD doesn't even look at suburban coppers as LEO's, ned-alone corrections, parole, juve, etc...lol... just last week I was working with two off duty Cook County guys when a on duty CPD guy came to respond to an incident, when I told him my officers saw the whole thing, he looked at them and laughed and said, "They aren't officers!"

Kind of pompous, but just the way it is round these parts.

Comment

• Can anyone in the know explain the major differences between working for IDOC, CCDOC, and fed BOP?

Basically any experience with state, county or fed level would be appreciated.

Hapkidoka I believe you would have insight on IDOC vs BOP, not sure if anyone on here has done all three.

Thanks!

Comment

Can anyone in the know explain the major differences between working for IDOC, CCDOC, and fed BOP?

Basically any experience with state, county or fed level would be appreciated.

Hapkidoka I believe you would have insight on IDOC vs BOP, not sure if anyone on here has done all three.

Thanks!
                          I've done none of the above, and maybe someone who has can chime in... I do know people at all departments, and can give you bare minimum knowledge.

For starters they're all different levels of corrections clearly: county, state and federal. The county officers work out of the 26th street jail... jail is a big difference from prisons, though I hear it's a worse environment. IDOC works prisons statewide and FOB work prisons nationwide for federal offenses... I'm sure you knew all that.

As for training Cook County does a 400 hour academy at Moraine Valley College, which I believe translates into 6 months. State does 6 weeks in Springfield and fed does 3-4 weeks at the federal academy (FLETC) in Georgia... I believe the rest of your training is on the job.

All three are certified law enforcement, however, the only one who is a 'conservator of the peace, ' meaning can make arrest on view in public and or act in the general public is county... All county officers, no matter what department are fully sworn deputies of cook county... however, acting outside of the jail is generally frowned upon from the brass.

Cook County officers are allowed to carry 24/7, state officers can only to and from work (even though I think technically, as I read it the LEOSA act would cover a state CO), as for federal I'm not sure the department policy, but again technically I think the could use LEOSA as a guideline.

When it comes to atmosphere, again I hear county is the worse due to overcrowding, and the constant traffic due to it being a jail... people are sleeping on the floor, etc... and the ones with beds are fighting daily to keep it. State and federal prisons depend on the facility... some keep the inmates locked down for the majority, and only let them out in small groups. Other prisons have times where they can roam borderline freely... some prisons practice what is referred to amongst angry CO's as hug-a-thug policies that in some cases can literally let the inmates run the asylum.

As for pay, I have no idea... I'm assuming they can't be too far off from eachother.

All, in all I think they all have their percs and disadvantages... all depends on what you are looking for. I would personally recommend County if you can get in, but they dick applicants around. BOP is also a good stepping stone if you have ambitions of working for another federal department... won't be easy, but can only help.

Hope I answered everything you were looking for, if you have anything specific... I hope someone with first hand knowledge chimes in as all that from me was hearsay from friends in the system.
                          Last edited by Magnus_C; 11-27-2014, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• 65 score recieved today

Comment

• Howd u get ur score?
                              Sometimes there's justice...sometimes there's just us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabe_chicago View Post
                                65 score recieved today
                                What counties are you looking at?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11336 users online. 400 members and 10936 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X