Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ibarrae. I honestly dont know how many points I had. Where can I find that at? @jaybird. I will be in sheridan. They really bus us in an inmate bus?!? and do we have to come home every weekend or could we stay there? I also heard you cant have a cell or computer or tv. True story? Im also supposed to meet with my BI for county this month. Which would you prefer, IDOC or county?

Comment

Yes you really take an inmate bus. Ours was new guys from Stateville, Pontiac and Dwight. No cell phones, no computer. There is a pay phone on each floor but it's like $5 for 2 mins. The lounge has a TV but it's impossible to watch. No doors on the crappers and the food runs right through you. You do have to come home every weekend. It will probably be 200 degrees in your room so you will want to leave.
      I worked at a max joint and it wasn't bad. Only because our COs followed the rules. I would take the IDOC job and see how you like it. Cook Co is pretty brutal. I'm happy I wasn't there long before a PD called me. About a year after I met with the BI before I even got hired. It's Cook Co, they will never rush anything.

Comment

Thanks for the info Jaybird! It's only six weeks long so hopefully it goes by quick! I mean I can live without a tv and no phone for a while especially if theyre going to pay me to do it! Doesn't sound anything like the academy my brother went through at U of I. He got all the amenities.

Comment

Dude you are just lucky you've got the call,I think you haven't even received your score in the mail and obviously the had no time to finish your BI since they just finished checking BI on people tested in November and December,still can't figure out how this agency works

Comment

@Americoza - Yeah, it's funny because I had people tell me they ONLY test in March. Who knows, anything to do with the state of Illinois is all goofed.
            Vaya con dios

Comment

Had the orientation today for the June 4th academy. So I tested in February 2012. There are people in my academy that just tested April 2012! I dont even know how that is possible! Can someone who is already a CO tell me about the firearms testing? They really didn't go into detail about it. When you test after you get out of the academy and you pass do you have to get a gun? And I know you dont get to carry off duty, no biggy, but do we get to carry to and from work?

Comment

The firearms training is easy. If you have never shot a gun before don't worry, the instructors are good. No you do not have to test after the academy. The firearms training gives you a card saying you can use a weapon at work if you are put on certain posts. No you can not carry to and from work. You can't carry off duty and they do not allow weapons on state property, including parking lots. Being a CO for IDOC was nothing more than an adult babysitter.

Comment

Wondering if anyone knows if any branch or department of IDOC gets deputized and what branch/department. Thanks

Comment

There is no department that gets deputized. Which prison are you going to?

Comment

Sheridan, If I don't get bumped due to the closing of Dwight. As of now Sheridan said its not going to effect us but who knows!

Comment

i almost went to the physical tests for IDOC then i realized it was nothing more than babysitting. id rather keep testing for police jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Glawk View Post
                          i almost went to the physical tests for IDOC then i realized it was nothing more than babysitting. id rather keep testing for police jobs.
                          Good for you. I imagine you're doing about the same I am then. Testing, sitting on your butt and waiting. Well I was done with waiting and jumped on the first thing, that paid well and would give me some experience, to come my way. After the academy I will still be testing other departments. Dont knock it cause it isn't for you.

Comment

well the county sheriff is a different story. you actually have the ability to get on patrol with ccs. the closest thing to that with Idoc is transporting prisoners.
                            Last edited by Glawk; 05-26-2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glawk View Post
                              well the county sheriff is a different story. you actually have the ability to get on patrol with ccs. the closest thing to that with Idoc is transporting prisoners.
                              Do you really have that ability? You have to take another test, be re-certified by the merit board, go to another academy, and go through field training. You might as well join a whole new department. If you don't make it you are stuck babysitting!

Same difference.

Comment

The only good thing about IDOC is the steady paycheck and medical package. As far as gaining law enforcement experience,IDOC is not the department for that. I worked at Joliet and Stateville for six years before leaving for CPD. IDOC is a dead end babysitting job with no room for advancement. But hey the money is good and in today's economy a job is a job. Just being honest.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13282 users online. 523 members and 12759 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X