Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question... Do you have to purchase a new firearm while in the academy or are you able to stay with the firearm you own if you already happen to own a Glock 19?

Comment

• No guns at IDOC... You'll shoot a shotgun, mini 14, and a .38 revolver but will rarely carry on the job apart from a few details. No off duty carrying whatsoever.
      Vaya con dios

Comment

• @lawenforcer5125 I wish you the best with your career. I hope you made the right decision to leave your sheriff's department. After 4 years as a C/O in the IDOC, I am still on 3-11 with Wednesdays and Thursdays as my days off. That will probably not change any time soon.

People tell me all the time that they are interested in applying or are actively trying to get hired by the department because of the money. I always say "If you have any urge to pursue a career or take a job doing something else, somewhere else, then by all means go for it." They lure you in with the good pay and benefits, then by the time you start to realize that it isn't something you want to do for the rest of your life you have a hard time finding something else that will pay as well. You become trapped.

Well, after 4 years in DOC, I'm (mentally) done with it. The first chance I get to go full time with a PD or SO, I'm gone. Yes, that means probably a $10,000 - $15,000 pay cut per year. I would rather be happy doing something I want to do than make more money and be unhappy with my job. I have never worked in an environment with more cranky, lazy, obnoxious people. And no, I'm not talking about the inmates. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by ibarrae7 View Post
          No guns at IDOC... You'll shoot a shotgun, mini 14, and a .38 revolver but will rarely carry on the job apart from a few details. No off duty carrying whatsoever.
          Thanks for the info. Why do they require you to pass range as a part of the academy if you're not allowed to have a weapon? Also, if you dont mind me asking... about how much money did you spend while in the academy for everything you needed? ex: uniform, shoes, or anything else required by IDOC

Comment

• You have to pass range week in the academy because there are certain detailes such as tower duty, cat walk, and writs that require you to carry while on duty, but once you come off, so do the guns.
            As far as the uniforms, they are given to you in the last week of the academy. Just buy some good comfortable boots, long black and white socks, and detergent and you're basically set. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
            Vaya con dios

Comment

• Future are you going to be in the next class or has it started already? I do know there is a class in August and our facility is only taking two this go round... I spent at least $150 on my academy items but I'm a female and of course we need more than men lol.

Comment

• @MissMe30, there is a class that started this Monday. I know we have 10 people down there.
                Vaya con dios

Comment

• When do yo guys get off cot status?

Comment

• I believe next week. Time for the mandates.
                    Vaya con dios

Comment

• Originally posted by MissMe30 View Post
                      Future are you going to be in the next class or has it started already? I do know there is a class in August and our facility is only taking two this go round... I spent at least $150 on my academy items but I'm a female and of course we need more than men lol.
                      Oh wow.. $150 is nothing compared to what I thought it would be. I was thinking I would be spending somewhere in the thousands. I havent been called yet. Im thinking I will get my call closer to November or December since I took the test in early April. Hopefully everything works out for me. Hows the academy going for you?

Comment

• @FutureCop
                        MissMe went to the academy in January, I went in May. Well, lets hope this hiring freeze that I've been hearing about doesn't happen so you can get in. If you dont mind me asking, which facilities did you choose and what was your score?
                        Vaya con dios

Comment

• I went with Stateville and Sheridan. They are the closest to my home.
                          Last edited by FutureCop88; 08-10-2013, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureCop88 View Post
                            I went with Statesville and Sheridan. They are the closest to my home.
                            doubt you will be hired at Statesville since it doesn't exist. Next time try applying to Stateville.
                            Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
                            Me: you really want an answer to that
                            Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Comment

• I also scored a 69

Comment

• Would someone mind explaining what the health benefits are like and what the cost is? I am curious to know how it compares to the current family plan I am enrolled in (wife and one child).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8233 users online. 388 members and 7845 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X