300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cpd2010* View Post

I say try it, but you can't arrest anyone trust me. You dont have police powers. Dont be fooled by what you think you know. I always say research.
    Never said I had police powers, I just know what I read in the cadet handbook. Go Cubs!

Comment

• Originally posted by KrayJack View Post

Never said I had police powers, I just know what I read in the cadet handbook. Go Cubs!
      Yes go cubs for sure...but your powers stop at your door at work. Laws and DA's can reek havoc on your life. One think about IDOC is you can commit a crime and totally get away with it and still keep your job.
      Last edited by cpd2010*; 10-20-2016, 10:00 AM.
      Sometimes there's justice...sometimes there's just us.

Comment

Yes go cubs for sure...but your powers stop at your door at work. Laws and DA's can reek havoc on your life. One thing about IDOC is you can commit a crime and totally get away with it and still keep your job.
        ​​​​​​*fixed your quote for you...

Last edited by KrayJack; 10-20-2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrayJack View Post

​​​​​​*fixed your quote for you...

Some people say cucumbers taste better than pickles.
          Some people learn the hard way.

Comment

CCW limits your carry powers. If you see the sign that states no guns you as an IDOC employee cant carry in that place. If your arrested you can lose your job, not that it will happen but its a slippers slope. These three items you must comply with: have statutory powers of arrest, (which you don't)

be authorized by the agency to carry a firearm: ( which you don't either off duty). be authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, ( which you can't) Just saying.
            You're incorrect... I actually have had this conversation with the academy FRIT,our Stateville training coordinator, as well as a prosecutor... the HR 218 also known as LEOSA does say exactly what you said, the confusion comes in the wording, which was broad intentionally. We meet all the qualifications including the one that confuses everyone, the "statutory power of arrest," those words are even in the firearm manual, because by statue we have powers of arrest when dealing with committed persons... furthermore every citizen has "statutory" power of arrest, with there being a statue known as citizen's arrest... if you're a co with the state you can carry legally without a ccw, no question about it. It is a policy violation however, and not worth the risk granted anything tragic happens... statutory power of arrest in no way means police powers however, don't get that twisted. You are not the police!

We can go ahead and agree to disagree though, much like they need to have a foid to work for idoc, because I'm 100% sure it was never a requirement...but hey why argue!?

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus_C View Post

You're incorrect... I actually have had this conversation with the academy FRIT,our Stateville training coordinator, as well as a prosecutor... the HR 218 also known as LEOSA does say exactly what you said, the confusion comes in the wording, which was broad intentionally. We meet all the qualifications including the one that confuses everyone, the "statutory power of arrest," those words are even in the firearm manual, because by statue we have powers of arrest when dealing with committed persons... furthermore every citizen has "statutory" power of arrest, with there being a statue known as citizen's arrest... if you're a co with the state you can carry legally without a ccw, no question about it. It is a policy violation however, and not worth the risk granted anything tragic happens... statutory power of arrest in no way means police powers however, don't get that twisted. You are not the police!

We can go ahead and agree to disagree though, much like they need to have a foid to work for idoc, because I'm 100% sure it was never a requirement...but hey why argue!?
                Looks like she is correct. You have LIMITED powers when your OTJ. But you cant carry under your badge legally, so said your department. Thus you cannot arrest anyone in the street like a police person can. Your in corrections, your NOT a sworn police officer. And all PD have 400 plus hours training other then isp which has 480 hrs training. CO's have 240 at best which is the minimum under Illinois Law Enforcement Training & Standards. You have powers within your department just like security officers and the general public. CCW is the way for departments to get away from liability is all. Patrol never crosses into corrections and vise-versa this being said, carrying under your badge outside of your department can get you fired under their rules and misrepresenting yourself. Conceal your weapon when you carry and don't represent yourself as a PO and you shouldn't have any issues. Were all on the same team here, and lets face it were getting kicked around really good these days. Both of you are correct in this instance.

Comment

• Originally posted by KCS_DEP View Post

Looks like she is correct. You have LIMITED powers when your OTJ. But you cant carry under your badge legally, so said your department. Thus you cannot arrest anyone in the street like a police person can. Your in corrections, your NOT a sworn police officer. And all PD have 400 plus hours training other then isp which has 480 hrs training. CO's have 240 at best which is the minimum under Illinois Law Enforcement Training & Standards. You have powers within your department just like security officers and the general public. CCW is the way for departments to get away from liability is all. Patrol never crosses into corrections and vise-versa this being said, carrying under your badge outside of your department can get you fired under their rules and misrepresenting yourself. Conceal your weapon when you carry and don't represent yourself as a PO and you shouldn't have any issues. Were all on the same team here, and lets face it were getting kicked around really good these days. Both of you are correct in this instance.
                  Yes, everything you said was true except we cannot carry under our badge... HR-218 does indeed qualify us to do so legally... what the law allows and what IDOC allows ate two totally separate things, it's totally a liability thing...hell we have 18 year olds with no FOID running around our department for god's sake!! Lol. But as CPD so nicely pointed out for us, the criteria is as follows:

Have statutory power of arrest..CHECK! It's very limited, but we still possess it in some fashion, again even the general citizen does to a degree.

Be allowed to carry by your department...CHECK! We are allowed to carry a mini 14, 12 guage, and a 38...maybe there's confusion as to this one, but again the verbiage I'd vague intentionally; the way it is written if you are allowed to carry by your department at any point you qualify under this bullet point.

Yearly RE-certification...CHECK

Credentials/ID's... CHECK

It's much like the questions for a police test, if you read to much into the questions you'll fail..just read the law as is, and it becomes very simple.

Comment

• These are good points from everybody because when I had my testing I did ask during my interview phase "Do you guys help us get a foid" and the officer said "no but we are able to help waive your ccw permit". I went home thinking how do they not help us get a foid card but will help waive our ccw when you need a foid before you get a ccw.
                    So I filled out for my foid and got it after I left the testing phase! Just waiting on that call and will find out whomever I have to speak to for the waiver for my ccw when i get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Idochopeful View Post
                      These are good points from everybody because when I had my testing I did ask during my interview phase "Do you guys help us get a foid" and the officer said "no but we are able to help waive your ccw permit". I went home thinking how do they not help us get a foid card but will help waive our ccw when you need a foid before you get a ccw.
                      So I filled out for my foid and got it after I left the testing phase! Just waiting on that call and will find out whomever I have to speak to for the waiver for my ccw when i get there.
                      You'll get the waiver once you complete the academy and get to your facility if you want the CCW, and they'll make a copy of your FOID card also!

Comment

• Hey cpd2010 what did u score to get into statesville?

Comment

• I used to work for IDOC and now I'm on at a local department. To clarify, IDOC does NOT have any rights to carry oustside of a CCW, both per policy and law. I don't normally chime in on conversations but I don't want to see some of this OUTRAGEOUS advice get someone in trouble. Even the training staff at the academy and at your facility will tell you that you CAN NOT carry without the proper state CCW license, which they
                          will help you get! You will then be allowed to carry under the same guidelines as a member of the general public. IDOC will never allow off duty carry
                          and will not stick by you if you get in trouble for it. There are a lot of wannabe cops in IDOC that will tell you otherwise, please don't listen to them! I have seen an IDOC officer out in public with a duty belt on (including a Glock on the belt) and I just shook my head knowing that he was a rookie already making bad decisions. You have to know that even though most local departments will not mind

Comment

• If you carry to and from work but just know that some agencies DO NOT like IDOC officers and will not let them get a "pass". This is due to C/Os thinking they were cowboys and being disrespectful to officers in the streets. It takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the bunch!

Comment

• Originally posted by 2046 View Post
                              Hey cpd2010 what did u score to get into statesville?
                              If you are trying to get into STATEVILLE then I suggest you don't call it statesville. This will make a lot of your co-workers upset. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2046 View Post
                                Hey cpd2010 what did u score to get into statesville?
                                Sometimes there's justice...sometimes there's just us.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7234 users online. 380 members and 6854 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X