Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVM I called central screening. I already had my first choice as Dixon. I couldn't remember because I tested 7 months ago! I was just notified by email that I am on the list. Just wish I knew what number. I only got a score of 60 which is pretty low so I hope I get a call soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by sarah_rod25 View Post
      If I change my 1st choice now for Dixon would I bump people with lower scores that have had Dixon as their first choice all along or does anyone know how that works? What all do I have to do to change it?
      you get added to the list based on score. so yes, if someone has a lower score than u, u would bump them. same as if someone has higher score than you, you would get lower on the list.
      Sometimes there's justice...sometimes there's just us.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaynkay View Post
        In hopes of squashing a bit of the "rumor control" and/or "scuttlebutt", I can share a piece of information that is first hand. I received a call today from Pontiac directing me to report to said facility on the 10th and 12th next week in order to process in for the June 6th academy class. So, hiring appears to be on going as well as academy classes..at least through June.
        I have 7 years in and started my career at Pontiac. I hope you do not mind some unsoliciated advice. Pontiac C.C. is no joke. You WILL deal with the absolute worst of the worst. It is a dangerous place to work. With that being said going in as a rookie please, please, please keep your mouth shut and take any and all advice you can from senior officers. Pontiac has a great staff that is tight knit. Do not get down because you will be made to feel like a complete outsider when you are new. This is the staff kind of feeling you out and trying to determine if they can trust you. With that being said good luck and make the most of a very difficult career. It will change you in many ways but after many years I still love what I do. Be safe!

Comment

right on. well, you should feel fairly confident then. you passed one weapons course already. i'm assuming there will be (someone correct me if i am mistaken) some sort of basic marksmanship skills training prior to and while putting bullets down range. sight picture, breath control, squeeze..squeeze..squeeze..boom. lol. don't let any of it rattle you...no worries
          You spend a week in the classroom then a week on the range. You have a lot of practice time that also involves one on one help. Unfortunately there is almost at least one or more out of every class that does not pass the range. My advice is to listen to everything the range instructors tell you and you will do just fine. It is a fun week.

Comment

from my VERY limited experience in this process..i would say it's a crap shoot (unless you have some solid inside information). i honestly switched from Lincoln to Pontiac in February and now i got a call. if i hadn't switched, maybe the call never comes. but as i shared earlier, central screening individual told me 1. maximum security facilities have a higher turnover, which to me means a higher chance of being hired. 2. and this is from the same individuals mouth, The second choice really doesn't matter. she explained it something like this, that your #1 facility would have to exhaust it's entire list in order to then move you to wherever you fall on the list of your #2 facility.(which begs the question..if the list from your #1 choice was exhausted..wouldn't that mean you were hired too?? lol *again someone with more knowledge please correct me if i was misinformed! not sure if this helps you at all...clear as mud, right?
            The information you received was absolutely correct. Max joints in Illinois (Stateville, Pontiac, Menard) always do the most hiring. They have a large staff and a high turnover. The 2nd topic about 1st and 2nd choice is also correct. They really only should make you choose one county, however as you enter your career you will encounter on a daily basis things often times do not make sense in regards to the department and Illinois.

Comment

• Originally posted by IDOCguy11920 View Post
              I have 7 years in and started my career at Pontiac. I hope you do not mind some unsoliciated advice. Pontiac C.C. is no joke. You WILL deal with the absolute worst of the worst. It is a dangerous place to work. With that being said going in as a rookie please, please, please keep your mouth shut and take any and all advice you can from senior officers. Pontiac has a great staff that is tight knit. Do not get down because you will be made to feel like a complete outsider when you are new. This is the staff kind of feeling you out and trying to determine if they can trust you. With that being said good luck and make the most of a very difficult career. It will change you in many ways but after many years I still love what I do. Be safe!
              I certainly don't mind the advice and am actually thankful for it. I do understand that Pontiac is no joke but at the same time understand that I cannot and will not fully appreciate what that means until I am there! Rest assured, your advice is well received and that my expectations mirror your words.

Comment

• Originally posted by ns-doc View Post
                I honestly would not even sweat over this. We had tons of people fail first time qual. Some were just nervous(one girl shot the wrong target) and some were just terrible shots( one guy shot the ground more than once during shotgun qual). But they bring you back the next week with the top range instructor and he will not let you fail. You don't have to be a good shot to pass, you just have to listen to the range instructors.
                I am glad everyone in your class passed that is awesome, however to make a statement that the instructor will not let you fail is not accurate my friend. As I have stated before that almost every class has at least one or more people who simply do not pass the range. Unfortunately if that does happen then yes you are terminated.

Comment

I certainly don't mind the advice and am actually thankful for it. I do understand that Pontiac is no joke but at the same time understand that I cannot and will not fully appreciate what that means until I am there! Rest assured, your advice is well received and that my expectations mirror your words.
                  You have a great attitude. Welcome to the brotherhood. If you have any questions now or when you are walking the galleries feel free to PM me.

Comment

You have a great attitude. Welcome to the brotherhood. If you have any questions now or when you are walking the galleries feel free to PM me.
                    Thank you. I look forward to the challenge. I actually do have a couple mundane questions...1. what do the 2 appointments at the facility consist of? Is it basically medical exam and employment paperwork? I never received a packet so just going in as directed. 2. What are the grooming standards for the academy (simply put, do I get to keep my facial hair?)? 3. Are trainees really shipped back and forth to and from their facility to the academy each week?

Comment

• Anyone get a call from Dixon yet? I am wondering if their academy is full for June 6th already! I hope it's not full yet

Comment

Thank you. I look forward to the challenge. I actually do have a couple mundane questions...1. what do the 2 appointments at the facility consist of? Is it basically medical exam and employment paperwork? I never received a packet so just going in as directed. 2. What are the grooming standards for the academy (simply put, do I get to keep my facial hair?)? 3. Are trainees really shipped back and forth to and from their facility to the academy each week?
                        Your visits will consist of a drug test, blood work and doing basic paperwork (insurance, life insurance type of paperwork). The grooming standards for the department are probably the most relaxed you will ever see, including during the academy. You can have any type of facial hair you want as well as any length of hair. You cant however have earrings or extreme colored hair. As far as going back and forth from the academy the answer is yes. You will attend the academy Monday-Friday with weekends off. You will meet at your facility each Monday morning and either be transported by a state van or a state prisoner transport bus. Yes, the same busses used to transfer inmates!

Comment

Your visits will consist of a drug test, blood work and doing basic paperwork (insurance, life insurance type of paperwork). The grooming standards for the department are probably the most relaxed you will ever see, including during the academy. You can have any type of facial hair you want as well as any length of hair. You cant however have earrings or extreme colored hair. As far as going back and forth from the academy the answer is yes. You will attend the academy Monday-Friday with weekends off. You will meet at your facility each Monday morning and either be transported by a state van or a state prisoner transport bus. Yes, the same busses used to transfer inmates!
                          Thanks again for the response. Seems my assumptions were correct (including the transport..lol!), but I appreciate it being verified by someone that has been through it.

Comment

Thanks again for the response. Seems my assumptions were correct (including the transport..lol!), but I appreciate it being verified by someone that has been through it.
                            Anytime! Make the best of the academy. The worst part is the boredom in the evenings and of course the prison food they serve!

Comment

Anytime! Make the best of the academy. The worst part is the boredom in the evenings and of course the prison food they serve!
                              My buddy who went through the academy earlier in the year said they found a fingernail in the oatmeal and mouse turds in the rolls.

Comment

• Originally posted by K31 View Post
                                My buddy who went through the academy earlier in the year said they found a fingernail in the oatmeal and mouse turds in the rolls.
                                Say whaaaa..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6486 users online. 326 members and 6160 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X