300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eiba View Post
    Why would you touch a bleeding inmate that is 10 feet away from you? Don't help them with medical situations. The only job you have is to call a medtech, that is it.
    If that were the case it wouldn't be mandatory that everyone receive CPR training and carry the pouch.
    Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
    Me: you really want an answer to that
    Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Comment

• Originally posted by HapkidoKa View Post
      If that were the case it wouldn't be mandatory that everyone receive CPR training and carry the pouch.
      It's required to get certified every year but it's a choice to perform it in real situations. Code 3 and my job is done.
      Vaya con dios

Comment

• I received the call for the June 22nd academy. Anyone else?

Comment

• Congrats buddy^^^^^^^^

Comment

It's required to get certified every year but it's a choice to perform it in real situations. Code 3 and my job is done.
            Does that even sound like it make sense to you? If it were optional the training and carrying the mask would be optional also. There are ways to avoid having to actually assist but you can't go in front of a judge and say "performing cpr is optional and I opted not to do it."

Comment

• Originally posted by HapkidoKa View Post
              Does that even sound like it make sense to you? If it were optional the training and carrying the mask would be optional also. There are ways to avoid having to actually assist but you can't go in front of a judge and say "performing cpr is optional and I opted not to do it."
              Performing cpr is optional and my choice is not to do it. Call a medical code and I passed the torch on to the medical staff. But in reality the opportunity to perform cpr is almost non existent. I can't open up a cell door without a sgt being present in medical situations. I can't just go in and perform cpr, I'll most likely get suspended for going into a cell without authorization.

So to answer your question, yes I can go in front of a judge and say I opted out of performing cpr. My job was done when I called it on the radio.
              Vaya con dios

Comment

Performing cpr is optional and my choice is not to do it. Call a medical code and I passed the torch on to the medical staff. But in reality the opportunity to perform cpr is almost non existent. I can't open up a cell door without a sgt being present in medical situations. I can't just go in and perform cpr, I'll most likely get suspended for going into a cell without authorization.

So to answer your question, yes I can go in front of a judge and say I opted out of performing cpr. My job was done when I called it on the radio.
                "The guards' failure to respond to the serious nature of Tlamka's condition even while they were trained to administer CPR was seen by the Eighth Circuit as conduct sufficiently severe to constitute an Eighth Amendment violation.

The district court's grant of qualified immunity and summary judgment for the three guards was reversed and the matter was remanded for further proceedings. See: Tlamka v. Serrell , 244 F.3d 628 (8th Cir. 2001)." The full text of the case is available in PACER.

I'm not saying to open cell doors or place yourself in an unsafe situation. Safety and security trump all and scene safety is the first step in CPR. As far as everything else goes regarding CPR this is where we simply agree to disagree.

As far as providing assistance to medical I can think of 2 times in Bravo that I had to carry inmates down from 6 gallery. Once with medical because the inmate lost function in his lower body and another we had to put in the bullpen because a stitch popped and he began bleeding like it wasn't hell. He bled out so bad that the bullpen was a blood pool by the time medical got to the cellhouse.

In dealing with bleeding inmates I've separated fights in the idoc where an inmate was bloody. I've never responded to a stabbing in the IDOC but I've done so plenty of times in my current agency where the inmates spend the majority of the day out of their cells and we don't have the same gun coverage as in Illinois. Outside of that you might have to assist staff with medical issues and while I'll lay it all on the line to ensure we each leave the joint as we walked in, I know we have some nasty mofos working with us and I'm gloving up before coming into contact with anyone that's bleeding.
                Last edited by HapkidoKa; 05-29-2015, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• Totally off any topic we've discussed, but anyone here on the job considering transferring to iyc Joliet when they reopen it as a psych facility next year? ? I may make a seperate page for this, but it could be an opportunity for some people to get some serious institutional seniority of they hire majority of staff on the new.

Comment

• Totally off any topic we've discussed, but anyone here on the job considering transferring to iyc Joliet when they reopen it as a psych facility next year? ? I may make a seperate page for this, but it could be an opportunity for some people to get some serious institutional seniority of they hire majority of staff on the new.

Comment

• @magnus_c

i tought about that, and i wouldnt mind transfering. im just curious how it all would look inside the prison though.
                      are they like housing units in stateville? or like the nrc?

Comment

• graduation felt...wow, what an awesome feeling after 6 weeks. good luck to all who got the call!
                        Sometimes there's justice...sometimes there's just us.

Comment

• Originally posted by cpd2010* View Post
                          graduation felt...wow, what an awesome feeling after 6 weeks. good luck to all who got the call!
                          Congrats CPD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by cpd2010* View Post
                            graduation felt...wow, what an awesome feeling after 6 weeks. good luck to all who got the call!
                            I thought you went with CCDOC?

Comment

• Couldn't tell you never been there
                              Originally posted by qw456 View Post
                              @magnus_c

i tought about that, and i wouldnt mind transfering. im just curious how it all would look inside the prison though.
                              are they like housing units in stateville? or like the nrc?

Comment

• do you know the total population of inmates in iyc?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11286 users online. 470 members and 10816 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X