Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey thats great news ISPCAPT and QUE DOG 7, thanks for clearing that up. Wonder why they are not holding the northern district testing in Chicago this time around?

Comment

ISP is real strict when it comes to the Power test and when I did it you had to do it in the right order or they said they would fail you. Sit and reach, bench, sit ups, and run in that order. Exodus259 is right about the sit ups because they have an instructor just sitting there to make sure you do them perfectly. One thing to know is to not talk back to any of the instructors either. Someone mouthed off and made a comment during the Power test to one because he failed and everyone sitting down for the run got chewed out by another instructor for that.

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
        People have the most difficulty passing the PT before they ever get to the academy. Once they're at the academy, since everyone has to pass the PT again the first day or be sent home, then the academy is mostly a mental game. If you can pass the PT to get in then it's a matter of keeping a positive mental attitude.
        As far as how good of shape does a person need to be - the answer is as good of shape as you can possibly be. The better condition from the start is one less headache during the academy. A person cannot be in too good condition.

No districts have been closed.
        No Troopers have been laid off.
        District Chicago is still there, fully operational, and will likely remain so for as long as there is an ISP.

Anyone laid off are hired back before any new hires.

I don't know of a PD or SO anywhere in the state that isn't having financial problems. Any agency at any time could decide to lay off people. One never knows what the future might hold.
        As far as the ISP, there has only been 1 time when new Troops were laid off. That was 1 cadet class that graduated the end of June and the legislature had not passed a new budget so all were laid off for 1 day until the new budget passed. Those laid off were given an extra, paid day off for the day they missed.
        ISPCPAT just as an FYI, I wish the department would send cadets home that can’t pass the P-FIT the first day. They don’t… If you can’t pass it in week five you are out. I think they have too much invested in them so they give them until week five, in the mean time they baby them so they don’t get hurt until they pass. Everyone knows for weeks they are going to the academy to become ILLINOIS STATE TROOPERS, be ready or go home Day ONE… Yes it a lot of head games....

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
          I can agree with that if you are referring to the Power test? However, what is the P-Fit? I know the State Academy is harder then most. If they only require a 1.5 at 12:40, that is one thing. However, if suddenly they want your average guy there to run 3/4 miles straight. That's different.
          I know for my academy (out of state) we're expected to be able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes, and the only running requirement during the physical testing was 300 meters in 72 seconds (I believe).

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy_2006 View Post
            ISPCPAT just as an FYI, I wish the department would send cadets home that can’t pass the P-FIT the first day. They don’t… If you can’t pass it in week five you are out. I think they have too much invested in them so they give them until week five, in the mean time they baby them so they don’t get hurt until they pass. Everyone knows for weeks they are going to the academy to become ILLINOIS STATE TROOPERS, be ready or go home Day ONE… Yes it a lot of head games....
            Not saying that it is impossible, but I have never heard of anyone getting five weeks to pass their initial P-FIT. I remember people failing the first one and being given a couple of days before retaking it. The cadets should all be taking the P-FIT again right around week five. You will take it four or five times during your stay at MP 88 and everyone has to pass all of them. Could it be possible that the cadets failing in week five failed a subsequent test? Again, things may have changed since I was there, but getting five weeks to prepare doesn't sound legit. Perhaps you could provide a time frame or class number from when this occurred and so I can do some research.

Comment

2nd what ILTPR said. You must pass the PFit on Monday of week 1. If you don't you get one more attempt on Thursday, if you don't pass you're gone.

I don't know of anyone who passed the 1st week then failed subsequent PFits in the Academy.

Comment

Unless they made some exception for CC118 that's in now I've never heard nor seen giving anyone until week 5 to pass. I doubt CC118 changed since both the academy cmdr and the deputy cmdr, who is a former Marine, were some of the original PFIT monitors from years ago.
                There's no reason for anyone not to pass PFIT when they get to the academy. You've already had to pass it once just to start the application process. If a person wants the job then why would they not continue working out in preparation for the academy. It doesn't get any easier from the application phase than when they get to the academy.
                As ILTPR and RyBak stated if you don't pass on Monday then you better be on your game by the end of week 1 and pass it or you won't be back for week 2. If you pass PFIT the first week then you'll definitely pass it the subsequent weeks. You'll be doing so much PT that no matter what your scores were on week 1 there will be an improvement for each subsequent test.
                For those in the process, once you graduate the academy don't think your PT is over. You have to pass the same test every year or you're gone. Don't think they won't fire people who don't pass their annual PFIT test. I know 3 who are no longer on the job. 2 of them use to work for me. Unfortunately one couldn't pass it because of a back injury which left him paralyzed from the waist down. Great guy and outstanding cop. The other didn't think they would really fire him and he never tried staying in shape to pass. He found out they weren't kidding.
                183 FBINA

Comment

Theres an ISP officer with a take home car who lives nearby who has all the windows of their home covered with window bars. Isn't that strange or paranoid especially since you're the police and have a weapon lol?

Comment

Originally posted by fanofelcsum View Post
                    Theres an ISP officer with a take home car who lives nearby who has all the windows of their home covered with window bars. Isn't that strange or paranoid especially since you're the police and have a weapon lol?
                    A weapon doesn't do much good if you're not at home.

Comment

Depends on where you live.

Comment

He has quite the commute from California, eh?

-----

ISPCAPT, if someone is injured OTJ and cannot take/pass the PFIT, can they be assigned to desk duty until they are fit to return to work? In the example you mentioned, with the paralyzed trooper, was he able to retire with disability?

Just wondering how that all works. My fiancee has asked me a few of these questions, and I want to give her straight answers.
                        "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by FlyChicaga View Post
                          ISPCAPT, if someone is injured OTJ and cannot take/pass the PFIT, can they be assigned to desk duty until they are fit to return to work? In the example you mentioned, with the paralyzed trooper, was he able to retire with disability?
                          Just wondering how that all works. My fiancee has asked me a few of these questions, and I want to give her straight answers.
                          If you are not physically able to work with a temporary type injury then it's possible a person could be placed on light duty. That entirely up to the command whether a person is placed on light duty. Within 30 days of coming off light duty, even if it's not time for the annual PFIT, a person has to pass the PFIT.
                          If a person has a permanent injury where they can't pass the PFIT then they will eventually be gone.
                          As far as permanent injuries it depends on a lot of things as they're each treated differently, ie non-work related v work related. Work comp regs may or may not apply. How long a person has worked may be a factor as far as figuring disability.
                          183 FBINA

Comment

Originally posted by Todd0306 View Post
                            ISP is real strict when it comes to the Power test and when I did it you had to do it in the right order or they said they would fail you. Sit and reach, bench, sit ups, and run in that order. Exodus259 is right about the sit ups because they have an instructor just sitting there to make sure you do them perfectly. One thing to know is to not talk back to any of the instructors either. Someone mouthed off and made a comment during the Power test to one because he failed and everyone sitting down for the run got chewed out by another instructor for that.
                            It seems strange to me that state police have such strict physical standards when they stop motorists for speeding or what not most of the day. In comparison to CPD, who by most accounts deal with the real criminals all day you would think it would the opposite. A Trooper(female) stopped my friend once for speeding on the expressway I was the passenger, and I blurted out its called an expressway for a reason she didn't like that lmao

Comment

It seems strange to me that state police have such strict physical standards when they stop motorists for speeding or what not most of the day. In comparison to CPD, who by most accounts deal with the real criminals all day you would think it would the opposite. A Trooper(female) stopped my friend once for speeding on the expressway I was the passenger, and I blurted out its called an expressway for a reason she didn't like that lmao
                              Its not just about doing a sit up a certain way. Its about discipline and following directions.

Im not sure I follow your reference to “real criminals” what is a real criminal ? Also, last time I checked those performing traffic stops are still getting in fights, shot at, and even killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
                                I was always told that State is more physically trained due to the lack of back up. Say Trooper needs to make a felony stop at I-294 & 95th St, and his back up, another Trooper is all the way at I355 & I55. They need to be able to handle situations themselves and without much aid. However, I don't know if that makes much sense because they can always call for County or local for assist, even on an expressway I believe?
                                Well, I think they should start having 2 man cars, and start cutting the staffers or high ranks that do nothing for 100k plus like preckwinckle is doing with the sherrifs office. I remember there was a dead person in a car at the secretary state facility on elston(state property or what not), and it took state police detectives 3 days to figure out it was a suicide. Some detectives l, there was a lot of laughter on the news boards lol
                                Last edited by fanofelcsum; 01-30-2011, 05:37 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6087 users online. 331 members and 5756 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X