Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My two cents, get your FOID card, wear a suit, and don't type like a teenager. A lot of us watch this site. Tentatively 32 days to go.

Comment

• Cadet is the term used by the ISP for newly hired Troopers. I'm not correcting anyone because I think being a Cadet makes you better than a Recruit (we are all on the same team), I'm just correcting the terminology. If you walk into the academy and refer to yourself as a recruit and you are a cadet you won't live it down, I promise. TAC will be all over you and so will anyone else within earshot.

There is a certain amount of pride in being a Cadet that you will learn once you make it through the academy. Most local officers I meet always comment "I wanted to be a trooper, but I heard your academy is (brutal, no joke, awful, etc etc)." Additionally as a Recruit you will be at the academy 12 weeks where a Cadet does 25-26 weeks.

You will form bonds with members of your cadet class because you will "get low" on 100 degree days on a hot blacktop parking lot for weeks on end as you or your classmates continue to screw up academy rules. Those of you that stick it out will have a lot more respect for each other than the ones who quit in the first two weeks because its too hard or they yell to much. At the end of the day, every single person who wears a ISP star has been through the academy and endured the same fun you will.

As RyBak said, be very careful what you decide to write on here. It isn't that hard to figure out who someone is and you don't want to be the cadet who is caught whining on a message board about the academy or how dumb you think some facet of it is. The academy serves a purpose and its a means to an end. Once you hit the road it will be a memory.

Comment

• Question: Are you supposed to avoid protein shakes a certain amount of days before your medical?

Comment

• Originally posted by redbird40 View Post
          Question: Are you supposed to avoid protein shakes a certain amount of days before your medical?
          No. That's ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by redbird40 View Post
            Question: Are you supposed to avoid protein shakes a certain amount of days before your medical?
            No, just no eating or drinking anything 10 hours before your test.

Also, i would schedule a vision checkup before the actual ISP vision test........... JUST IN CASE! It would suck to get to this point and fail because your contact lens prescription wasn't up to date.

Also, if anyone else has bad vision and hasn't started yet with the Background check, I would highly suggest to look into getting Lasik or some other type of corrective surgery.

Comment

• Answer.....no it's the building block of life .
              "Believe half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear"

Comment

• There is a lot of talk back in the CPD thread that said not to work out rigorously a week before your medical and there was talk about not taking protein due to kidney tests just saying.

Comment

• Couple questions... 1. When did Cadet Class 121 first find out their assigned district? 2. (stupid question maybe) I know suits are strongly encouraged throughout the process, but does this include the medical and vision portions (i.e. are ISP representatives present)?

Thanks for everyone's wealth of knowledge thus far ( especially ispcapt and isptpr22, you guys probably have no idea how much we all appreciate your input)
                  Last edited by LEready; 04-29-2013, 02:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LEready View Post
                    Couple questions... 1. When did Cadet Class 121 first find out their assigned district? 2. (stupid question maybe) I know suits are strongly encouraged throughout the process, but does this include the medical and vision portions (i.e. are ISP representatives present)?

Thanks for everyone's wealth of knowledge thus far ( especially ispcapt and isptpr22, you guys probably have no idea how much we all appreciate your input)

I dont know when CC121 got their district assignments, but I was told 120 found out before the academy. I think 119 got theirs during the academy and 118 was before the academy. I'd say it could go either way.

Suits are not strongly encouraged throughout the process, they are mandatory. Having said that, no you do not need to wear a suit to your medical/vision. It is you and the nurses/doctor only.

Comment

• I was given the advice that whenever you may meet or run into members of the Merit Board or other Officers/Troopers, make sure you are wearing a suit! This not only applies to ISP, but to ALL agencies.

Comment

• Guys,

Hello. This is my first post and I am looking for some information regarding the ISP eye exam for the upcoming June 2nd academy.

Today I went for my eye exam and the eye doctor said I failed one part of the eye exam. The eye doctor said I have 20/20 vision and that I do not need glasses, eye contacts or Lasik Surgery. In addition, the eye doctor said that even though I have 20/20 vision, wearing glasses, eye contacts or getting Lasik Surgery will not help me pass the one part of the eye exam I failed (I don't understand this).

I am hoping that one of the Illinois State Troopers on this board can provide any information regarding the vision standards because I have already looked at the vision standards link on the ISP website and I don't understand how I can have 20/20 vision and not pass the eye exam.

I have my medical exam scheduled for tomorrow and my orientation for the ISP academy is May 9th and so I am not sure if I have now been disqualified because of the eye exam.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

-Kaiser

Comment

• ISP Eye Exam

Guys,

Hello. This is my first post and I am looking for some information regarding the ISP eye exam for the upcoming June 2nd academy.

Today I went for my eye exam and the eye doctor said I failed one part of the eye exam. The eye doctor said I have 20/20 vision and that I do not need glasses, eye contacts or Lasik Surgery. In addition, the eye doctor said that even though I have 20/20 vision, wearing glasses, eye contacts or getting Lasik Surgery will not help me pass the one part of the eye exam I failed (I don't understand this).

I am hoping that one of the Illinois State Troopers on this board can provide any information regarding the vision standards because I have already looked at the vision standards link on the ISP website and I don't understand how I can have 20/20 vision and not pass the eye exam.

I have my medical exam scheduled for tomorrow and my orientation for the ISP academy is May 9th and so I am not sure if I have now been disqualified because of the eye exam.

-Kaiser

Comment

• I would contact the merit board and at this time ask them if you can be re evaluated by your own eye doctor. I am not a state trooper but my freind failed for class 118 and eventually got approved after a re examination.

Comment

• Could it be colored blindness?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaiser Soze View Post
                                Guys,

-Kaiser
                                20/20 is just the visual acuity check, there are other things they test also.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5241 users online. 330 members and 4911 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X