X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my face when

Comment

• Originally posted by ActionJackson121 View Post
      Sorry to upset your delicate sensibilities cupcake. Most lax people don't like my attitude, good. But I expect people, and organizations, to operate on the same level they preach at. Don't like what I have to say? I really could care less, god bless America.

Let's try to keep this thread on track too, if you want to whine about people take it to PMs, i will be more than willing to have a conversation with you there.

Wow...this may be my favorite post ever. Operate on the same level they preach at? Apparently the process has changed if you are being preached at, and even if you are...you are the applicant and they are the employer. They say jump, you say how high?

If you don't like the score or lack thereof in this case, don't play the game. It's really that easy. Or you can just keep on thinking you're entitled to special treatment and see where that gets you.

Comment

• So, I have been following the ISP PFIT Plan on the ISP website. My biggest challenge in life, particularly the military has been running. If anyone has a good PFIT running plan or advice could you PM me? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexSpets View Post
          So, I have been following the ISP PFIT Plan on the ISP website. My biggest challenge in life, particularly the military has been running. If anyone has a good PFIT running plan or advice could you PM me? Thanks.
          I'm not an expert but the little advice I can give you is this: Start slow and learn to control your breathing. Most people can push through the leg pain but the breathing is tough. Slow your pace waaay down to a "conversational speed" so that you could carry on a conversation with someone who may be running with you. While running at a conversational speed, you need to run longer distances to get your mind and body conditioned to performing longer. If you start to feel out of breath, slow down until you catch it again. Do not walk. You will notice that your "conversational speed" will increase fairly quickly on it's own if you commit to this and do it daily (or at least very regularly). Before you know it, you will be running at a quicker pace and still able to maintain a conversation. This may not be the BEST way to run, but it has helped me in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexSpets View Post
            So, I have been following the ISP PFIT Plan on the ISP website. My biggest challenge in life, particularly the military has been running. If anyone has a good PFIT running plan or advice could you PM me? Thanks.
            When I first started training, I started with a light jog of a 1/2 mile. I did that for like 2 weeks, running monday through friday.
            Then, after 2 weeks, I did a light jog for a full mile. Did this for another couple weeks.
            Then 1.5 miles for another couple weeks.

After I was able to jog the full 1.5 miles, I started timing myself and tried to run a little faster. It seemed like this just happened naturally too as you get more endurance from keeping up running 1.5 miles everyday.

Comment

• A big thing that helped me was High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and/or Fartlek training. Basically incorporating sprints into your running to build anaerobic conditioning. This is very important for the 1.5 mile run, as opposed to a distance run on an 8K. I was able to shave a good chunk of time off my 1.5 by doing so. I was running 3 days a week preparing for the PFIT, all outside. Two days a week of distance running (3-4 miles) and one day a week of HIIT. This January/February it's been so cold outside I've cut down my running quite a bit, relying on CrossFit and rowing to maintain conditioning. As soon as the ice clears I'll get back out. Don't rely on treadmills... Hit the pavement, because that also will help you. Good luck!

Comment

• While I understand the dislike of treadmills, the biggest positive they provide is keeping your pacing consistent. If you don't run that often, people tend to fall off pace rather quickly when running outside, alone on a streets or tracks. I suggest a combination of both.

Comment

• And I'm sure 1.5 miles was probably the shortest run conducted in the academy.

Comment

• Can someone confirm where the pension stands? I know it was discussed earlier (page 21) as being changed to a rule of 85, however, they seemed to not be to sure since it was just recently changed at that time. Not to mention that the Merit Board still has the rule of 75 listed in their faq's. Thanks.
                    Last edited by LEready; 02-12-2013, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Is ISP Academy 6 months like CPD Academy ?

Comment

• The day that my buddy started they gave him his graduation date. I don't know if they still do that. He was assigned to District Chicago a few years ago.

Comment

• Academy is either 25 or 26 weeks, it has changed back and forth a few times. You will know your graduation date when you start.

The pension changed for anyone hired after Jan 1, 2011. Therefore I can't speak as confidently on the current pension structure, since I'm in the old pension.

Comment

• Thanks for the information!
                            "Believe half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear"

Comment

• Background Investigations have started. Talked to my BI on the phone this morning.

Comment

• New to this thread. Does anyone know if family is allowed to come with to the academy? Like hotel, etc.? Or is it pretty much kick your family and newborn to the curb for the next couple of months until graduation? Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5369 users online. 328 members and 5041 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X