300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will County Sheriff's Department

Just heard they are accepting applications for Deputy.

Wow the physical test sounds pretty intense

Comment

That physical test is easy. You won't lose many people in this stage. Several years ago I tested there and heard only like 10 out of 200 people failed. I was in terrible shape too at the time and still passed. If you make it all the way and are eventually hired you will have to pass the power test. It was fun, when you do the phusical ability test get the name of the deputy that sits with you in the squad car, you may one day want to say high to him/her later on down the road. Heck that person could even be one of you field training officers! Also when it comes around take everything in, look at the buildings, the cars and all the various equipment out there it is a nice place. I wish I would have when I was going through the process.
      My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

With the Red win last night, save yourself and apply else where.

There are very few leaders with plenty of managers.
        Last edited by LockednLoaded; 11-03-2010, 12:51 AM.
        "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

Anyone have info on schedule, pay scale, moral, how hard it is to get into special units, etc? Do they get to patrol everything or just unincorporated? Also, how well must you know your geography out there, do they have in squad gps?
          Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Comment

Last edited by downlifer; 07-14-2011, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Moral is at a all time low IMO. Special unit kiss it good bye for sometime. If they like your personality, then you are golden. It has nothing to do with job performance. Oh and don't arrest anyone.
              "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

Originally posted by LockednLoaded View Post
                It has nothing to do with job performance. Oh and don't arrest anyone.
                Sounds just like most places. Idk what happened to being the police. Are there any working departments still around that make good money?
                Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Comment

?

I'm sorry, topping out at 78K isn't good money?

Comment

It takes 11 years to top out. The salary does not include the holidays, which most places include in the salary. You can take the holidays as pay, comp time, or take an excused holiday. It also does not include a $600 a year uniform allowance, or the benifit of having a take home car and not having to put miles on your personal car. You also can accrue 480 hours of comp time. The pay and benifits are are in line with other sheriff's departments including cook county. You can't compare a municipal police department's pay with a county sheriff's pay hence the 11 year top out. As far as morale goes. We are in the midst of one of the worst economic times since the great depression, very few people are happy. The only thing you can control is your attitude. There has not been any layoffs, nor is there any talk of layoffs or furloughs. The schedule is 8 hour shifts with off days rotating every 28 days backwards. I e you are off tues/wed for 28 days then mon/tues. As far as specialized units go, they recognize talent. If you have prior police expierience you have a leg up. Otherwise take your time learn the job, keep your mouth shut, your ears open, and do the best you can. With regards to arrests, they will recognize that talent too. They have a nationally accredited traffic unit that is comprised of deputies who earned their way into the unit. If I was testing again for police departments I would definitely test here.
                    Last edited by robert2006; 11-03-2010, 09:44 AM.
                    My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

Originally posted by robert2006 View Post
                      It takes 11 years to top out. The salary does not include the holidays, which most places include in the salary. You can take the holidays as pay, comp time, or take an excused holiday. It also does not include a $600 a year uniform allowance, or the benifit of having a take home car and not having to put miles on your personal car. You also can accrue 480 hours of comp time. The pay and benifits are are in line with other sheriff's departments including cook county. You can't compare a municipal police department's pay with a county sheriff's pay hence the 11 year top out. As far as morale goes. We are in the midst of one of the worst economic times since the great depression, very few people are happy. The only thing you can control is your attitude. There has not been any layoffs, nor is there any talk of layoffs or furloughs. The schedule is 8 hour shifts with off days rotating every 28 days backwards. I e you are off tues/wed for 28 days then mon/tues. As far as specialized units go, they recognize talent. If you have prior police expierience you have a leg up. Otherwise take your time learn the job, keep your mouth shut, your ears open, and do the best you can. With regards to arrests, they will recognize that talent too. They have a nationally accredited traffic unit that is comprised of deputies who earned their way into the unit. If I was testing again for police departments I would definitely test here.
                      it takes 20 years to top out and the board is talking about pay freeze
                      and they don't reg talent cause they don't let you charge felonies
                      yes having a take home car is great.....if it was a decent car at this point i'd give it up so i can have a SAFE WORKING CAR ie, not one covered in rust thats always breaking down, or one where the floor board has rusted through and the carpet from the cabin shows. They changed the comp time issue so yes you can accrue 480 hours but there is "earned" and "benefit time."

And this traffic unit...this wouldn't be the one that only has 5 people in it is it? And the last time they had an opening it no one bid into it/?

Comment

Wait, wait. I got one! Speaking of the cars, "hey, um, County I think my tire just fell off!" And, "County, my car is on fire on Harlem!" Dispatcher- "Can you bring it to Post?!?!" Lol. I had to do it. But, take home cars are nice depending on the car.

Comment

We are an SO and currently top out at72k in 3yrs, $1100 yr uniform allowance as well and we are local to you. Just FYI with your current negotiations.

Comment

Here is the best advice I could give to anyone. Apply, take the test and if you get hired then great. If you don't keep on testing. I do think the county likes already certified guys but I could be wrong. Goodluck to all.

Comment

Originally posted by littleguy View Post
                              Here is the best advice I could give to anyone. Apply, take the test and if you get hired then great. If you don't keep on testing. I do think the county likes already certified guys but I could be wrong. Goodluck to all.

I'm sorry I'm not saying to skip applying, but I just felt like for you to know whats going on is to be honest. If you get hired you might enjoy it might not. But you are correct they do like already certified guys.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8702 users online. 434 members and 8268 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X