300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ChicagoDream82

Actually, I didn't 'think wrong'...I was basing my opinion on the polygraph based on a friend of mine that took a polygraph for CPD and also this article I attached which came from a discussion off of this very forum dated February 25, 2009. Whether they're valid accounts or not, I cannot confirm. I was not speaking factually in regards to whether or not they use or will use a polygraph test for past or future applicants. Thanks, you have been very informative on this board by the way.

CPD to start using Polygraph

BY FRANK MAIN Crime Reporter [email protected]
    The Cook County sheriff's office and the CHICAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT are launching new efforts to weed out bad apples.

Sheriff Tom Dart recently ordered his internal-affairs investigators to conduct background checks on every one of the office's roughly 7,000 employees, spokesman Steve Patterson said.

Under the department's rules, every sworn law enforcement officer is required to report any contact with police. If they don't, they could be fired, Patterson said. Also, any sworn officer with a felony conviction can't keep that post, he said.

"As for civilian employees, we'd look at it on a case-by-case basis," Patterson said.

The CHICAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT, meanwhile, is sending four officers and a sergeant through training to operate polygraph machines. Anyone applying to be an officer will have to take a lie-detector test, said Ted O'Keefe, head of the department's personnel division.

Patterson said the sheriff's office already requires people applying for sworn positions to take a polygraph test. Sworn positions include correctional officers, court deputies and police officers.

Applicants are asked about drug sales, theft, time-sheet fraud, vandalism, gang affiliations and arrests, Patterson said. Last year, 295 applicants took polygraph tests, he said.

"The test gives us tremendous insight into the backgrounds of people applying for law enforcement jobs," he said, adding, "The test results aren't the sole determining factor in deciding whether someone gets hired."
    Last edited by JosephCHC; 10-30-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• just in case anyone wanted the direct link for the police recruiting website is http://www.chicagopolice.org/answerthecall/

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Dunn View Post
        for you guys without a degree but with 60+ credit hours what type of classes are your hours in....i have credits from all different types of classes and my last few were going towards criminal justice. I know it says you just need to have 60 college credits so im guessing mine should be fine (i hope)....
        It doesn't matter what your subject your classes are in....It can be in Art, Theatre, Badminton...etc...
        The requirements say you must have 60 hours of college credit...Its not saying you have to have 60 hours of criminal justice classes.

Comment

• Originally posted by DC27 View Post
          FedEx/Kinkos can also do a whole bunch of stuff, and there are a bunch off them that are 24/7
          Yeah thnx for the info but i got a guy who works at my park to do it for me..

Comment

• Ive been hearing a lot of bad things about those Poly tests and how a lot of good candidates fail them for being nervouse without trying to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by JosephCHC View Post
              @ChicagoDream82

Actually, I didn't 'think wrong'...I was basing my opinion on the polygraph based on a friend of mine that took a polygraph for CPD and also this article I attached which came from a discussion off of this very forum dated February 25, 2009. Whether they're valid accounts or not, I cannot confirm. I was not speaking factually in regards to whether or not they use or will use a polygraph test for past or future applicants. Thanks, you have been very informative on this board by the way.

CPD to start using Polygraph

BY FRANK MAIN Crime Reporter [email protected]
              The Cook County sheriff's office and the CHICAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT are launching new efforts to weed out bad apples.

Sheriff Tom Dart recently ordered his internal-affairs investigators to conduct background checks on every one of the office's roughly 7,000 employees, spokesman Steve Patterson said.

Under the department's rules, every sworn law enforcement officer is required to report any contact with police. If they don't, they could be fired, Patterson said. Also, any sworn officer with a felony conviction can't keep that post, he said.

"As for civilian employees, we'd look at it on a case-by-case basis," Patterson said.

The CHICAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT, meanwhile, is sending four officers and a sergeant through training to operate polygraph machines. Anyone applying to be an officer will have to take a lie-detector test, said Ted O'Keefe, head of the department's personnel division.

Patterson said the sheriff's office already requires people applying for sworn positions to take a polygraph test. Sworn positions include correctional officers, court deputies and police officers.

Applicants are asked about drug sales, theft, time-sheet fraud, vandalism, gang affiliations and arrests, Patterson said. Last year, 295 applicants took polygraph tests, he said.

"The test gives us tremendous insight into the backgrounds of people applying for law enforcement jobs," he said, adding, "The test results aren't the sole determining factor in deciding whether someone gets hired."

Joesph CHC, I read this article the day it came out. This was Cook County Sheriff Tom Darts idea. To become a Cook County Correctional Officer you have to take a polygraph test thanks to this guy. Tom Dart has nothing to do with the Chicago Police Department. If your friend took a polygraph, and he was a 06 tester, that means CPD can do what ever they want with any applicant. But to answer your question this step was not part of the hiring process. If a very small percentage had to do a poly thats means, CPD wanted to polygraph them, which they probably had their reasons. 99% of the applicants did not have to do a polygraph. Im throwing that number just to give you a idea on the percentage that had to take a polygraph like your friend. Also I dont think 2010 applicants will have to take a polygraph. It is not stated on the website. I would think if this was part of the hiring process it would be stated on the website, under hiring process. As a matter of fact the hiring process steps are the exact same hiring steps as in 2006. You welcome Joesph, I try to be as informative as I can.
              Last edited by ChicagoDream82; 10-30-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Do I really need to attach my resume with the application?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose60634 View Post
                  Ive been hearing a lot of bad things about those Poly tests and how a lot of good candidates fail them for being nervouse without trying to be.
                  Yeah, I have first hand experience from not passing two polys (no I didnt lie). First, they shouldnt be giving polys out to applicants with super clean backgrounds because they just set themselves for lawsuits because they believe what some machine says about how fast your breathing or if your moving during the test! Second, reserve the test for applicants with a questionable background only. How ridiculous is it to pass all phases and not be hired because of what some machine says or doesnt say about you? This is why major cities are taking this test out of their hiring process because the only thing its doing is disqualifying great applicants because the machine isnt foolproof and its BS. No, I wasnt upset because I knew god had better things planned for me like, possibly, most likely, the cpd?

Comment

• Originally posted by ghuynh1 View Post
                    Do I really need to attach my resume with the application?
                    Doesnt say anything about attatching a resume but im sure it wont hurt. I attatched a copy of my FOID Card just for the heck of it..

Comment

• Funny I've never had a problem with a Poly. Granted I think they a garbage and not accurate, but I've taken 5 and passed 5 with flying colors. The test is only as good as the person giving the test which is based on junk science.
                      www.saveavet.org

Comment

• Originally posted by dogcop View Post
                        Funny I've never had a problem with a Poly. Granted I think they a garbage and not accurate, but I've taken 5 and passed 5 with flying colors. The test is only as good as the person giving the test which is based on junk science.
                        Any tips on passing??

Comment

• No, you get a yearly allowance for uniforms. I have heard it takes eight years to break even on uniforms.... and I guess there is a police credit union who will give you a loan at a low rate.... but yet again, worry about being hired first
                          one point twenty one jiggowatts....ONE POINT TWENTY ONE JIGGOWATTS!!!

Comment

• My best advise is just to be calm and don't overthink anything. In my opinion the "real" Poly take place before you are even hooked up. The test giver runs through all the questions with you first and it's basically a mini-psych. As an example of how not to overthink anything. A typical question is, "have you ever committed an illegal act that went undetected". This is not the time you bring up trying a cigarette at 14 or sneaking a beer when you were 20. So many people go into these things so nervous and shoot themselves in the foot with diarrhea of the mouth and remembering their past to be worse than it is. By all means tell the truth throughout the process, but this also means putting your passed life experiences in perspective. If you smoked weed say you did, if you stole something then you did, but don't make moutains out of molehills.
                            Last edited by dogcop; 10-31-2010, 04:31 PM.
                            www.saveavet.org

Comment

• Three friends of mine one who is like my brother went through in the last seven years. The most they spent was 3000... CPD
                              Last edited by neverlose357; 10-31-2010, 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by neverlose357 View Post
                                A few very close friends of mine went through in the last seven years. The most they spent was 3000... CPD
                                Going through now, previous posts are accurate...5-6k at least, I've probably dropped about 4-5k so far and haven't even bought blues yet. And I agree w/Erik IRT military = maturity. Someone asked if a 21 yo serviceman = a 25 yo in maturity....uh, actually, yes! You really need maturity to go through the academy, you'll understand when you get into the environment. Unless you served in another agency or military branch, you wouldn't understand. I'm sorry for the people who missed on age reqs though. Keep your heads up and focused!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5528 users online. 422 members and 5106 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X