300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dogcop View Post
    My best advise is just to be calm and don't overthink anything. In my opinion the "real" Poly take place before you are even hooked up. The test giver runs through all the questions with you first and it's basically a mini-psych. As an example of how not to overthink anything. A typical question is, "have you ever committed an illegal act that went undetected". This is not the time you bring up trying a cigarette at 14 or sneaking a beer when you were 20. So many people go into these things so nervous and shoot themselves in the foot with diarrhea of the mouth and remembering their past to be worse than it is. By all means tell the truth throughout the process, but this also means putting your passed life experiences in perspective. If you smoked weed say you did, if you stole something then you did, but don't make moutains out of molehills.
    well said

Comment

• From my experience and memory, I spent a little over 4K, but I spent a little above average. When it came to uniforms, I always bout a couple extra. I came out of the academy with 6 short sleeve and 6 long sleeve blue shirts since we were in there during hot and cold weather. I bought Safariland gear, rather than Boston Leather. There will be lots of choices that add up. I think we got one uniform check while there, too.

Firearm ($900, I bought a Sig).
      Handcuffs: $20ish a pair.
      Range gear: snap caps, cleaning kit, eyes and ears.
      Leather belt and pouches (~$200).
      Flashlight.
      Helmet ($190).
      Gym uniforms.
      Gym equipment: cup, mouthguard, Redman helmet, running shoes and "gym shoes", orange safety vest, inert OC spray, etc.
      Khaki uniforms.
      Blue shirts.
      Dress blue uniform ($900).
      Winter coat (~$200).
      Rain coat (~$200).
      Wooden baton ($20) and, later, the ASP ($70?).
      Inert OC spray for the gym and the real stuff later.
      Stuff you can use on details and once you graduate: pancake holster, boots, gloves, dickie, sweaters.

I'm sure I've missed a bunch.

Comment

• Originally posted by dogcop View Post
        My best advise is just to be calm and don't overthink anything. In my opinion the "real" Poly take place before you are even hooked up. The test giver runs through all the questions with you first and it's basically a mini-psych. As an example of how not to overthink anything. A typical question is, "have you ever committed an illegal act that went undetected". This is not the time you bring up trying a cigarette at 14 or sneaking a beer when you were 20. So many people go into these things so nervous and shoot themselves in the foot with diarrhea of the mouth and remembering their past to be worse than it is. By all means tell the truth throughout the process, but this also means putting your passed life experiences in perspective. If you smoked weed say you did, if you stole something then you did, but don't make moutains out of molehills.
        Hey dogcop, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!!

Comment

• Just paid the app. fee

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose60634 View Post
            Just paid the app. fee
            me too! *hi fives!*

Comment

• Originally posted by markdh720 View Post
              From my experience and memory, I spent a little over 4K, but I spent a little above average. When it came to uniforms, I always bout a couple extra. I came out of the academy with 6 short sleeve and 6 long sleeve blue shirts since we were in there during hot and cold weather. I bought Safariland gear, rather than Boston Leather. There will be lots of choices that add up. I think we got one uniform check while there, too.

Firearm ($900, I bought a Sig).
              Handcuffs: $20ish a pair.
              Range gear: snap caps, cleaning kit, eyes and ears.
              Leather belt and pouches (~$200).
              Flashlight.
              Helmet ($190).
              Gym uniforms.
              Gym equipment: cup, mouthguard, Redman helmet, running shoes and "gym shoes", orange safety vest, inert OC spray, etc.
              Khaki uniforms.
              Blue shirts.
              Dress blue uniform ($900).
              Winter coat (~$200).
              Rain coat (~$200).
              Wooden baton ($20) and, later, the ASP ($70?).
              Inert OC spray for the gym and the real stuff later.
              Stuff you can use on details and once you graduate: pancake holster, boots, gloves, dickie, sweaters.

I'm sure I've missed a bunch.
              Thats 5-6 thousand dollars that we have to pay for? What if you cant pay for it or if you dont graduate? do they give refunds? I thought some departments offered free uniforms minus the firearm I hope they take credit cards lol

Comment

• CPD is one of the only PD's in the area that makes you buy everything, but it's counterbalanced by a healthy uniform check. It'll take you a few years to break even but you will. It's not like you have to replace your gear every year. For me my shirts last about 5 years and pants 2 or so. My biggest expenses every year is I usually buy a new vest cover and boots every year. So by year 3 or 4 you can start to come out ahead.
                www.saveavet.org

Comment

• Originally posted by fanofelcsum View Post

Thats 5-6 thousand dollars that we have to pay for? What if you cant pay for it or if you dont graduate? do they give refunds? I thought some departments offered free uniforms minus the firearm I hope they take credit cards lol

I thought you come from a long line of CPD officers. You should know about this already and it should be old news!

Comment

Last edited by neverlose357; 11-01-2010, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sketchy002 View Post
                      me too! *hi fives!*
                      lol!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Exodus259
                        But the department's decision, announced last week, to raise the minimum application age to 25 will bar Quaglia from taking the Dec. 11 entrance exam. So Quaglia has created a new Facebook page, called "The Chicago Police Minimum Testing Age Will Destroy My Career."

"I have all sorts of friends my age waiting in line to take the test," he said. "This doesn't make any sense."
                        Sounds like he just blackballed himself from ever getting a job in Illinois.

Comment

• Seriously, he is playing it really stupid and sounds very bitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by PBAndy View Post
                            Seriously, he is playing it really stupid and sounds very bitter.
                            Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed too. Realistically it means myself and other people under the age limit will never work for the CPD, if they keep on the every four year schedule and assuming people get a job somewhere else they'd be looking at waiting up to three years for a job then still having to do their academy and taking a seniority and pay cut also?

I see his point but it seems like a poor medium to channel his frustration, time to grab the boot straps and move on.

Comment

• Well I'm 30, have a bachelors degree, and am considering applying. Sorry to all the young guns out there. Apply for everything, don't be scared of moving too. You might not be a cop with CPD, but that is no reason to not be a cop at all.
                              What is Perseverance?
                              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• I can't believe how many people think that their lives are coming to an end because they aren't old enough to apply. I was only 20 and unable to take the test in '77. My life didn't stop. I worked at a few other security and PD jobs until the test came up in '81. I was 23 when I took it, waited 5 years to get called. At 28 years old, I was something like the 3rd or 4th youngest PPO in my class. Test in the 'burbs, apply for P/T P/O jobs, campus security jobs, CSO jobs, security jobs that are In-house, such as hospitals, large corps, TSA, VA, etc. There are jobs out there. My kid just was hired as a dispatcher for a PD at 18 yo. Look at those types of jobs until you are eligible to test for the City. If some people are having a melt down because of the testing requirements, what are you going to do when some of real crazy crap of this job gets dumped on you. Dealing with the crap on the street isn't a problem. You know (or should know) what you are getting into dealing with people on the street. Dealing with the CJ system, the Dept. and politics that come with it are what take their toll. Get into one of the jobs that I mentioned earlier until you can test. It will give you valuable experience in dealing with all the things that AREN'T mentioned about the job. It will be far better training to get you ready for it than any college "experience" will.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6330 users online. 437 members and 5893 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X