Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i never ran into anyone from WIU, but i can believe what your saying that they would get a preference, College is College, whether u got a degree from Devry Westwood, Oakton Harper NIU, the point is you got additonal education after high school , i dont think they will give u a preference, unless you have a law degree from Harvard maybe lol, but yea i would be annoyed if people thought they would get preference because they have a degree from WIU

Comment

I like to B/S with people and I talk to other applicants all the time, so it happens at almost every test I go to. I think the ones that say it are first-time testers that don't really understand how the testing process works.
      Last edited by ModerateLiberal; 10-06-2010, 07:35 AM. Reason: It was too bias before.

Comment

yep i hear that , im working a new angle about trying to get hired, but im not telling and we will see if it works

Comment

Originally posted by ochave000 View Post
          i never ran into anyone from WIU, but i can believe what your saying that they would get a preference, College is College, whether u got a degree from Devry Westwood, Oakton Harper NIU, the point is you got additonal education after high school , i dont think they will give u a preference, unless you have a law degree from Harvard maybe lol, but yea i would be annoyed if people thought they would get preference because they have a degree from WIU
          "College is college" isn't always true. For instance, a degree from Westwood isn't recognized by some departments as a "college degree".
          "Well I'd lock him up for what we know he did, and then throw in a few extra years for what he probably did." ~Hank Hill

"Why do you need to carry a gun? There aren't any bad people in this town..."

Comment

I did an internship with Glen Ellyn a while ago and really enjoyed my time there. It's a pretty young department overall so I was able to relate with a lot of the officers there. Also I got to participate in some of their training and I'll say that their instructors and supervisors are top notch. There are a couple of DuPage County SWAT officers who lead a lot of the training and it seems like they train a lot. The only downside that I saw was that it is a pretty small department and depending on what part of the town you are in, it can get a bit boring, especially at night but I'm sure that's the same with a lot of departments in the burbs.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the test in Glen Ellyn so I put in an application for the WIU site. It will be kind of a pain to drive all the way out there but it's well worth it for a possible career.

Comment

Originally posted by ModerateLiberal View Post
              Western is large and it makes sense that with the volume of students enrolled in their program that a test be held there, but on the whole I don't think the quality of graduates from WIU are significantly better than graduates of most other Criminal Justice programs.There are always exceptions and it would depend on what the individual student puts into it, but every time I run into someone who went to WIU for Criminal Justice the FIRST thing out of their mouth is, "I went to Western so I know I'll have preference." It gets really annoying.
              I think it makes sense to test at WIU for the sheer size of the students enrolled in the program. What I find interesting is that they are limiting it to just 50 people. From what I have seen, there are a few of us students that are truly serious about being hired. From my classes, I've come to realize that it's amazing how many people who are Seniors are unfamiliar with, and have not yet started the testing process. I'm not sure what their plans are after graduation, but it surely isn't getting hired ASAP.

As for the WIU graduates that expect to receive preference, I'm sure that attitude will cut them from the hiring process fairly early. This is an ongoing problem I've seen especially with my fellow students (here at WIU and everywhere). Everyone expects everything handed to them. It's only a matter of time before they see what life has in store for them.

I'm proud to say that I do not expect anything once graduating from WIU. However, I'd prefer for more departments to require a Bachelor's out of applicant's. But that's just my thoughts.

Comment

Has anyone gotten their results yet?

Comment

Has anyone gotten their results yet?
                  Test isn't till November

Comment

Haha, thought I was in the Glencoe thread! Thanks!

Comment

Haha, thought I was in the Glencoe thread! Thanks!
                      If you are from the future, please tell me. We have a lot to discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by DC27 View Post
                        If you are from the future, please tell me. We have a lot to discuss.
                        I second this!

Comment

Oh man.... That test took forever to take. Started at 8am and I didn't leave until 6pm.

Comment

Yeah I remember that one. When I took the test two years ago you had to be there at 8 for the physical (which lasted till 1p) and then you had to come back at 4 for the written. Maybe it was visa versa... I seem to remember the tests being graded on the spot...

Comment

8 to 10:30 written, then wait until 1:30pm for the power test.... then get fingerprinted and have your mug shot taken.... and last part was two personality test... too long of a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd0306 View Post
                                8 to 10:30 written, then wait until 1:30pm for the power test.... then get fingerprinted and have your mug shot taken.... and last part was two personality test... too long of a day.
                                loooong day...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12852 users online. 468 members and 12384 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X