Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A non-depressing "I was hired" post

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I always enjoyed reading the posts people made once they were hired, because it reminded me that departments were still hiring and how sweet it would taste the day it happened for me. Today, I am fortunate enough to make one of these “I was hired” posts for myself! I got out of the Marines about a year ago, tested with my number one department around the same time and was hired on by them this week.

To those of you are still testing, all I can say is keep at it. I know you’re probably sick of hearing the same thing, and reading all the depressing posts on here about no one hiring. But, honestly guys, no matter how long it takes, once you get hired it makes ALL the work worth while and makes the day just that much sweeter. My call to begin the final stages of the hiring process came clear out of the blue, so you never know when your phone will be ringing next.

Thanks to everyone on this board and good luck.
    Mark

P.S. I am also #1 on the eligibility lists for Bolingbrook and Oak Brook Terrace, so if you are on those lists consider yourself bumped up! Good luck!

Dr. Taco, congrats. Good on you, because I have no idea when Bolingbrook would have been hiring. We still have one laid off. You probably would have got the call before the list expires, but thats no guarantee. Just some advice, do not pull yourself off any lists until they call you and you tell them you have to decline. With any luck all will work out great with your choice. But let's say there's that 1% chance your dream PD actually turns out not to be what you wanted, you have options. If you're comfortable, could you PM me with what PD you're going to.
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

Congrats Dr. Taco! I hope you're above me on any of the lists I'm on, so maybe I'll move up a number.

In all seriousness though, congrats and best of luck at the academy!
      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

Dogcop- Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! Would have loved to work for Bolingbrook, as well. PM on the way.

Fly, thank you. I appreciate it. Hope your call comes soon!
        Last edited by DrTaco; 09-01-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Congrats Dr. Taco! Hopefully I'll be right behind ya in the academy before too long...

Comment

Congratulations Dr. Taco, hopefully I will be in your shoes in the near future.

Comment

Thanks again everyone, it is greatly appreciated. To answer a PM, I was #10 and my department hired two.

Comment

Definitely congrats, I'm getting ready for my final interview with the academy so within the next 30 days or so I expect to be in the academy as well. I can agree it feels like an eternity until the final stages come about. Everyone on this forum for the most part is good on encouragement and direction. Make the most of your opportunity and make us in LE proud!

Comment

Congrats. I was the same way when I first got hired by a PD. Was the happiest man in the world. Unfortunately, that career was cut short and I started all over again. Im glad to say, I kept trying for 1.5 years and finally was picked up by another dept. Although it wasnt one I was hoping for, I see a lot of things I want to do and nothing is going to stop me to get to those positions.

Like Taco said, keep going at it and do not give up.

Congrats again.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
                    That's all we can do is just keep at it and keep applying and getting on lists. By the end of this month, I'll be on 6 lists, lol.

Yay, I'm no longer in the triple digits for Bolingbrook, lmao :-)

Congrats :-)
                    Thats funny and very optimistic.

Comment

congrats , DrTaco hopefully ill post mine maybe hopefully in 1-2 years

Comment

Thanks again, everyone. I get sworn in next week, and start the academy on the 12th. So, I will be sure to enlighten you all with my FNG stories and screw ups! haha

Look forward to seeing more "I was hired" threads from the rest of you guys soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
                          That's all we can do is just keep at it and keep applying and getting on lists. By the end of this month, I'll be on 6 lists, lol.

Yay, I'm no longer in the triple digits for Bolingbrook, lmao :-)

Congrats :-)
                          Yep, I'm on AT LEAST 6 lists, something's gotta give soon, just have to be persistent.

Comment

Congrats, DrTaco. Good luck in the Academy... I was #13 on the burb list I was hired at. It took 6 months from time of test until I was hired. And 7 were hired including my number. There is hope for people that are not at the very top of lists. You never know what may happen to people ahead of you to bump you up that list..I'd like a PM from you if possible...Might know something about your place...

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                              Congrats, DrTaco. Good luck in the Academy... I was #13 on the burb list I was hired at. It took 6 months from time of test until I was hired. And 7 were hired including my number. There is hope for people that are not at the very top of lists. You never know what may happen to people ahead of you to bump you up that list..I'd like a PM from you if possible...Might know something about your place...
                              ChiTown, I'm impressed you remember all those details from decades and decades ago

He ended up in a good place, you'll prob know some people there like I do He asked me via PM if he should post where he got on, and my advice was "no". He understood the reasoning for flying below the radar and doing nothing to make him end up a blip on the Brasses radar even if it seemed innocent enough. So no one bug him to post it. Lol
                              Last edited by dogcop; 09-01-2010, 11:14 PM.
                              www.saveavet.org

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4336 users online. 271 members and 4065 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X