Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 new Police Officers being added to CPD

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...071910.article

Some good news for the 06 testers I guess, although I really doubt these additional 100 Officers will be able to do much to affect the crime rates. Hopefully a new test will come out of this soon.

The article mentions that CPD is over 2,200 officers short, ridiculous.
    Last edited by park88; 07-19-2010, 06:08 PM.

Very ridiculous, I hope they can figure out the budget situation soon because more and more officers are eligible for retirement everyday.

Comment

Yep, in the comments section of the article somebody mentioned that over 200 Officers retired in April alone.

Breaking these 100 new Officers down the districts will average about 4 more per each district. It's just sad how little Daley cares about CPD, give it another year or so and they will be close to 4,000 Officer's short. Mass-hiring needs to happen soon!

Comment

Another thing to understand when they say MORE OFFICERS are coming. Well first they have to be hired....trained...FTO...streets. That will take a long time....and 100 will be nothing at the rate at which officers are retiring. Chicago NEEDS to mass hire....and fix the BUDGET!
        "Fighting Crime....Suppressing Evil"

Comment

What I see happening is CPD staffing levels getting down to a critical level, then they may try to pull a stunt like NYC did a few years back and make new recruit pay something like $20,000 a year. At that point they will hire a large class, but they won't be able to fill it because people won't be able to afford the pay cut to be a cop.
          What is Perseverance?
          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
            What I see happening is CPD staffing levels getting down to a critical level, then they may try to pull a stunt like NYC did a few years back and make new recruit pay something like $20,000 a year. At that point they will hire a large class, but they won't be able to fill it because people won't be able to afford the pay cut to be a cop.
            Wow that is scary! Its really scary out there in this economy.
            "Fighting Crime....Suppressing Evil"

Comment

I would still test, but that's just me.

Comment

$20,000 isn't enough for rent and food, let alone any kind of post work activities. Chicago has long been a city of mass corruption, political kickbacks and the improper placement of high ranking authority in areas of police, fire, city gov etc. The 100 officer hiring statement is one of those heat of the moment comments meant to deflect the true issue. 1. Mass hire, train and properly pay the current officers. 2. Stand behind officers when they administer the law and not throw them under the bus. Lastly instead of furloughing days how about increasing the the OT? Ok I'm off my soapbox however I think I speak for alot of frustrated chicagoans.

Comment

I hope Daley isn't blowing smoke...again. I agree skillz, Daley et al needs to stand with the officers, not the thugs, through thick and thin.

I hope we are in the academy soon, that would be awesome. However, 100 out of the 2200 the dep is short is a drop in the bucket. Its worth even less when you consider that Daley and Chicago bleeding hearts show their contempt for LEOs on a daily basis.

One more thing - I'd pay or take a huge cut and even take out a loan to get on rather than wait. I have to laugh though, how ***-backwards is that: you pay your employer to give you a job - funny.
                  Last edited by 11bangbang; 07-19-2010, 10:25 PM. Reason: add comment

Comment

The sad thing is that with all these fatalities and these vigilantes running wild that increases the jail pop. Even as a soon to be academy recruit for ccdoc, my employment shouldn't be filled at the expense of losing my fellow comrades. Immediate attention is required and very soon chicagoans will reach the breaking point and the change will come about. I pray the officers of this forum stay safe and keep the families of the fallen in their prayers.

Comment

I agree with most of you guys, it seems that Daley is pulling this 100 number as a publicity stunt to make it seem like he is actually doing something to fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Skillz34 View Post
                        The sad thing is that with all these fatalities and these vigilantes running wild that increases the jail pop. Even as a soon to be academy recruit for ccdoc, my employment shouldn't be filled at the expense of losing my fellow comrades. Immediate attention is required and very soon chicagoans will reach the breaking point and the change will come about. I pray the officers of this forum stay safe and keep the families of the fallen in their prayers.
                        The jails may be pretty full, but I can think of another piece of land for the violent gang bangers.

Comment

I've always thought something like this would have to happen in order to expect a mass-hiring movement (500+ officers). We're not going to see manpower approaching anywhere near it's supposed strength unless there's a few years of sub-par salary. I could imagine seeing a scenario where the city says, "You want your manpower, here's how it happens -- first year 25000; second year 30,000; third year 35,000; and then it shoots up to the normal rate based upon the current wage." With this rate, it'd be like having two officers for every one under the current contract.

Also, as you touched upon, you'll unfortunately have a lot of good cops and otherwise decent applicants turning down the job. For people like myself, who dont have responsibilities to a family, I can afford to put off a few years; many others couldn't.
                          Last edited by NEC1234; 07-20-2010, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Even worse than having a lower starting pay and a longer time to reach top pay is if legislation ever gets passed that cuts out the pension for new hires and replaces it with a 401K. That talk has been bantered about, but just a rumor that I hope stays a rumor. The quality of new recruits would be a joke with a $20-30K starting pay and no pension. Nobody in their right mind would take this job.

This is the kind of crap that goes unchecked that gets these municipalities into the financial mess they are in now..
                            http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...457-000-a-year

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                              Even worse than having a lower starting pay and a longer time to reach top pay is if legislation ever gets passed that cuts out the pension for new hires and replaces it with a 401K. That talk has been bantered about, but just a rumor that I hope stays a rumor. The quality of new recruits would be a joke with a $20-30K starting pay and no pension. Nobody in their right mind would take this job.

This is the kind of crap that goes unchecked that gets these municipalities into the financial mess they are in now..
                              http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...457-000-a-year
                              WOW!!! $800,000 salaries? I thought it was a joke @ first. And the officials have the audacity to sit there with a straight face and defend that nonsense.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4091 users online. 258 members and 3833 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X