Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norfolk Southern RR Police

Description:

Norfolk Southern Corporation, a multi-billion dollar transportation company, is currently seeking a Police Officer to work in the Chicago, Illinois area.

POLICE OFFICER

Candidates are required to be certified in the state of Illinois or possess other transferable certification. You must be at least 21 years of age, willing to work various shifts (both inside & out), have good vision, be in good health, have own means of transportation and phone, and willing to reside in the area. Candidates who have public police officer experience are preferred, as well as those who possess an Associate or Bachelor degree in Police Science or Criminal Justice.

As an industry leader, Norfolk Southern offers a salary commensurate with education and experience. The successful candidate will be eligible for a bonus and an excellent benefits package which includes medical, dental, life insurance, 401(k), retirement and tuition reimbursement.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Is it a good agency to work for?

Comment

Originally posted by mjw5678 View Post
      I dealt with the Baltimore office and a few other guys. They were good and worked with us. Heard some crap things about Chicago but they did have an officer involved shooting of a murder suspect.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I worked with their Charlotte office on a very regular basis for several years. Their people and training were good. In Charlotte they worked alone most of the time, and had a moderate amount of freedom in how they worked, but that was both an up and a down side. My understanding was that working conditions varied depending on the office. Chicago for example was more like a traditional police deprtment, as opposed to some of their one man posts or even Charlotte which was a 3 man post. While railroad retirement is decent, it is not as good as most police officer retirements in many respects. You will probably retire sooner as a municipal officer than as a railroad officer (that is based on conversations 4 years ago, might have changed). The railroads used to have a reputation for paying well, but that seems to have faded. The pay for the NS officers was certainly better than most officers in NC, it was not as good as the top paying municipal departments in the state.

I enjoyed working with the NS officers. The diversity of the work is intriguing, as was the ability to be self driven. The pay and retirement issues were an issue for me, but maybe not for somebody else.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
          I dealt with the Baltimore office and a few other guys. They were good and worked with us. Heard some crap things about Chicago but they did have an officer involved shooting of a murder suspect.
          That NS P/O was shot by the murder offender, who was then killed by an off duty copper from 007 who was running late on his way to work. Lucky for the RR copper the guy frpm 007 got up a few minutes late that night. All the NS guys I've run into are ex coppers from the burbs.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
            That NS P/O was shot by the murder offender, who was then killed by an off duty copper from 007 who was running late on his way to work. Lucky for the RR copper the guy frpm 007 got up a few minutes late that night. All the NS guys I've run into are ex coppers from the burbs.
            Received an email the other night at 0200 hrs, stating I was not qualified enough for the position. Just curious who is determining applicants at 0200 and how does an officer with 16+ years of experience, previous investigations experience, certified juvenile officer, certified evidence technician and homicide and death investigations certifictions, not be qualified? Just sounds a bit strange to me......Oh well

Comment

I know several of the chicago guys that are there now. What is your definition of "good"?

You will work there, alot of their guys are around 55th and normal in Chicago which is right in the hood. The guys I know said you will be at one end of the train sealing up a box car and the offenders will be at the other end breaking in. By the time you get down there and seal it then they will move to another spot on the same train. Never ending.

The railroad is VERY safety orientated, and they dont want you to do anything to hurt yourself over property but they do want you to lock guys up.

They hire you are a p.o. but you are considered management and can be subject to long hours without overtime, I was told they pay a bonus if the percentages are right at the end of the fiscal. Pay is in the 60's.

Anything else you want to know, Ill try and ask some of the guys I know who work for them out of chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by chgometro View Post
                Received an email the other night at 0200 hrs, stating I was not qualified enough for the position. Just curious who is determining applicants at 0200 and how does an officer with 16+ years of experience, previous investigations experience, certified juvenile officer, certified evidence technician and homicide and death investigations certifictions, not be qualified? Just sounds a bit strange to me......Oh well

That doesnt make sense. Somehow the system prescreened you out I bet.

I would call them and ask wth is up. Unless maybe they specifically wanted someone on the job currently, or are you? Just sayin, I didnt take a look at your profile since alot of times we dont put real info on there anyway lol.

It could be maybe you are from out of state and they want someone already IL certified, Idk like I said I didnt check your profile.

If I were you I would call and ask human resources.

Comment

Originally posted by chgometro View Post
                  Errr.....If you don't have your resume set up to get picked up on key words......most RR LEO openings won't get picked up.... no matter how experinced you are.

As stated, get with the RR HR and talk to them....

Comment

Since someone asked me on pm.

No take home cars. The only railroad I know that allows take homes are CSX.

The guys I know work 12 hrs. I think some guys also work 8hrs.

I dont know how many guys work at one time. Not anywhere near enough I will tell you that. Like I said they run back and forth alot.

You will make a good amount of arrests and then you have to take them down to whatever district is closest and Chicago processes them.

Oh yeah like I said, no overtime and no court time since you are management. You get the standard railroad retirement, which is 30 years and retire at 60 to draw the pension. Another thing I was going to mention for people thinking about applying is that if there is an internal candidate who is layed off from a position doing something else in the railroad, they are offered the chance to transfer to the railroad police ahead of any external applicants, even if they are not certified or experienced.
                    Last edited by BPD99; 06-19-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

sounds like a good gig, but no OT, pay cut and loose my take home for an hr + drive, yea I dont know about that

Comment

Anyone have recent information on this position?
                        Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Comment

Originally posted by 3531Marine View Post
                          Anyone have recent information on this position?

It sounds like there have been some good info shared on this thread already.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
                            It sounds like there have been some good info shared on this thread already.
                            It's five years old. I'm looking for recent salary, schedule, and morale information.
                            Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Comment

Good point, I asked my father if he still had a buddy at NS, he retired a couple of years ago, there goes my connection.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8569 users online. 434 members and 8135 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X