Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appeal Process

Deleted for anonymity
    Last edited by MtGWOOD06; 01-28-2011, 03:47 AM.
    one point twenty one jiggowatts....ONE POINT TWENTY ONE JIGGOWATTS!!!

Do you know why you were DQ'ed? I'm guessing the way it goes is you are not getting on this time around and will have to test next time around. People can't even win appeals on red light cameras. I'm guessing something like this is an extreme long shot. So if you know why you were DQ'ed let us know the reason.
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

I can't speak for the City of Chicago. However, in most civil service agencies, you file an appeal with the city civil service commission or personnel department and not with the PD. A hearing is scheduled, the department demonstrates that there is something in your personal history that meets the criteria for DQ and you rebut it.

I cannot emphasize strongly enough that this is something where you need a lawyer who is well versed in civil service law. You will need "Discovery" (advance access to their grounds for DQ and the evidence supporting it) so you can prepare your response. Odds are you will not get it if you are serving as your own counsel. You will also need to know how to respond to the DQ factors, For example, if they are playing hardball, every error or mistaken response on your personal history statement can be classified as a falsification or an inability to read and follow simple written directions. Either one can be grounds for DQ You need an attorney who knows how to address those issues.

You also have to remember that the background is not a weighing of things where two good incidents make up for one bad event. It seeks to determine if there is anything (even one incident) that meets the department criteria for DQ. So even if you have the Nobel Peace Prize an saved 25 lives, it won't make up for the time you sold dope in college, or did that thing with the PB&J and your dog. All it takes is one DQ factor in your history and you are out, no matter how great a candidate your are, otherwise.

The only saving grace here is that DQ criteria varies from agency to agency. So, assuming it is a minor administrative issue, it is possible to get DQed from one agency, only to get hired by another one. For example, I had a friend who got DQed on a lateral transfer background because the $ amount of her outstanding debt exceeded an amount the new agency felt comfortable with.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        I can't speak for the City of Chicago. However, in most civil service agencies, you file an appeal with the city civil service commission or personnel department and not with the PD. A hearing is scheduled, the department demonstrates that there is something in your personal history that meets the criteria for DQ and you rebut it.

I cannot emphasize strongly enough that this is something where you need a lawyer who is well versed in civil service law. You will need "Discovery" (advance access to their grounds for DQ and the evidence supporting it) so you can prepare your response. Odds are you will not get it if you are serving as your own counsel. You will also need to know how to respond to the DQ factors, For example, if they are playing hardball, every error or mistaken response on your personal history statement can be classified as a falsification or an inability to read and follow simple written directions. Either one can be grounds for DQ You need an attorney who knows how to address those issues.

You also have to remember that the background is not a weighing of things where two good incidents make up for one bad event. It seeks to determine if there is anything (even one incident) that meets the department criteria for DQ. So even if you have the Nobel Peace Prize an saved 25 lives, it won't make up for the time you sold dope in college, or did that thing with the PB&J and your dog. All it takes is one DQ factor in your history and you are out, no matter how great a candidate your are, otherwise.

The only saving grace here is that DQ criteria varies from agency to agency. So, assuming it is a minor administrative issue, it is possible to get DQed from one agency, only to get hired by another one. For example, I had a friend who got DQed on a lateral transfer background because the $ amount of her outstanding debt exceeded an amount the new agency felt comfortable with.
        "...or did that thing with the PB&J and your dog" - hilarious

Comment

wanna make sure you dont get hired next time, then go ahead and appeal it. I cant speak for the city, but with most agencies they make you sign a form (release) saying if you are DQ'd they dont have to tell you why. IF you signed one for CPD you do not have any ground to stand.

Comment

Originally posted by 11bangbang View Post
            "...or did that thing with the PB&J and your dog" - hilarious
            X2

Comment

Originally posted by MtGWOOD06 View Post
              Hey I was wondering if anyone has had to go through an appeal process and what exactly it consisted of. Would you suggest getting a lawyer, how long did everything take? I was disqualified in my background for CPD and was curious as to how everything goes from here on out. Thanks for the input
              When did you find out you were DQ'd?? On your posts back in March under the 'CPD Academy 2010' thread you said you were good to go according to clear path? Confused...

Comment

It depends why you were DQed. For what it's worth, if you were DQed from the city, appeal it. My class was full of people who had appealed and people who admitted experimenting with weed. Sounds like a misfit bunch, but ours was a mature class with an averaged age of 31. We did quite well and stayed out of trouble. I have met plenty of people with CPD who won their appeals.

Comment

Deleted for anonymity
                  Last edited by MtGWOOD06; 01-28-2011, 03:47 AM.
                  one point twenty one jiggowatts....ONE POINT TWENTY ONE JIGGOWATTS!!!

Comment

Well, if thats the case, they must put completed on everyones status.
                    I guess my question is, when did you get your DQ letter that you failed the background? I would assume from the time your BI began your BKGRD. investigation he would have it completed with a "pass/fail" within a months time and if you failed you would get a letter shortly there after...?

I wish you the best of luck, but am interested in your timeline of when you had your background investigation and when you recieved a letter/ or call...?

Comment

Originally posted by MtGWOOD06 View Post
                      I don't really want to get into exactly what I was DQ'ed for on the public forum but I will tell you that it was something stupid, but not stupid enough to disqualify me.
                      Did it involve farm animals?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10025 users online. 441 members and 9584 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X