Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maywood will be one of those "told you so" departments if you get on. Meaning it's a disaster, and I'm not talking about the residents. But we're all adults here and if that's what someone wants, go for it.
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop View Post
      Maywood will be one of those "told you so" departments if you get on. Meaning it's a disaster, and I'm not talking about the residents. But we're all adults here and if that's what someone wants, go for it.
      The guys on here don't care. They are so desperate they will go anywhere.

Comment

Yup. Sadly you're right with that.
        www.saveavet.org

Comment

I agree to an extent. I do not say lower your standards just to get on, and most of the lists i'm on have 200 people on them, but at the same time someone is going to take that job in Maywood for example. Wouldn't you want it to be someone that cares and might give that department a better image in the future (realistically over time). However, I will defend the good and not let a few bad apples speak for/represent everyone on those PDs. Don't forget alot of good officers got their starts here and moved on, had successful careers and never looked back. I'm not saying retire there, but it probably is good experience. For clarification, i'm not testing here specifically but just because a department pays more, that does not make it any better of a PD or have any better hiring standards.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyH8Syou View Post
            whatever, im shooting for it. it will be more exciting than writing traffic tickets in lombard. the money sucks...you can make that kind of scratch doing anything. but its work. Im a recent veteran and current PSD, spent too much time in **** africa and the middle east, maywood will be a cake walk. The old lady is giving me a hard time about being gone 10 months a year so now get to look into local law enforcement.

anyone got any info on cook's academy's? im not even sure how civilian law enforcement training is set up. academy length? am i stuck there the whole time like some sort of boot camp? any kind of R/R? just curious incase this pans out.
            Respectfully, you have a dangerous attitude. I'm a service member myself. PDs are full of cops that have been to the sandbox and AFG. That Maywood will be a cakewalk theory, if you meant it just as you said it, will cause plenty of problems for you. I came to policing because I loved the service and felt it was really close. It is really not. OCONUS deployments to combat zones is not the same as solo patrol in Maywood, Il, America. In this job you could be the most physically fit officer, an expert in several weapons systems, know the state statutes, a great defensive tactics practicioner....and die in a traffic crash responding to low priority call. Even the tiny "boring" PDs encounter risk and danger. It's part of the job. I definitely wouldn't regard Maywood as a cakewalk. You can be a Navy Seal. No one cares in FTO and if you can't get with the program you'll be bounced. Flat out.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
              They are 12 weeks long = 480 hrs., drive yourself there every day. M-F, hrs vary, but 0800-1600 generally, UNLESS they send you to Ill. State Police Academy, then, you stay there and get to come home for the weekends. Ones used for the Chicago area are Chicago PD Metro, Cook County (at Triton College), College of DuPage, ISP.

Have to keep at least a 70% average on the weekly tests, usually take a few power tests in the academy, definitely have to take one to get in, have to pass range, and have to pass the State Certification Test (usually given in last week of the academy) to get out. Then most PD's go anywhere from 8-16 weeks of FTO when you get out.

Oh, BTW, these mutts are mobile. Jagoffs that cause crap in Maywood, Bellwood, and the west side of Chi. are only a couple expressway exits away from causing the same in Lombard.

If you get on CPD, about 26 weeks academy, then FTO for a month or 2, then you walk around some crap neighborhood for about 6 months, then more FTO.
              College of DuPage is more like 0600-1730, fluctuating between earlier and later hours...but starting as late as 8 and leaving as early as 4...if ever, it's almost never.

Comment

Cicero is even worse. I tried telling the guys in that thread to avoid like the plague.

Comment

A friend was an FTO in a burb. He said a prevalent attitude (not all, mind you, but not an isolated case) among recruits that were in the service, was that "You can't tell me shiate." Now, Joe Snuffy said it way better than I could. It's not the same being a P/O as being in the Military. I look at it like this, everyone wasn't an Army Ranger or Navy Seal hunting down and having firefights with insurgents. Someone had to cook meals, gas vehicles, change tires, and pour concrete there. And most of the above is very different than writing a few movers, parkers, learning a bunch of streets/alleys, and answering domestics, which is what you'll be doing, no matter where you work, most of the time.

Comment

Maywood is pretty a ship without a rudder. That's their primary problem. A got a buddy who worked there and told me about a day when they went through 2 chiefs. Bad leadership=bad department.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefs123 View Post
                      Cicero is even worse. I tried telling the guys in that thread to avoid like the plague.
                      You're not even on yet. How are you telling anyone to avoid departments in general... You told people to avoid CPD in the CPD thread and yet you still applied. You don't even follow your own advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                        They are 12 weeks long = 480 hrs., drive yourself there every day. M-F, hrs vary, but 0800-1600 generally, UNLESS they send you to Ill. State Police Academy, then, you stay there and get to come home for the weekends. Ones used for the Chicago area are Chicago PD Metro, Cook County (at Triton College), College of DuPage, ISP.

Have to keep at least a 70% average on the weekly tests, usually take a few power tests in the academy, definitely have to take one to get in, have to pass range, and have to pass the State Certification Test (usually given in last week of the academy) to get out. Then most PD's go anywhere from 8-16 weeks of FTO when you get out.

Oh, BTW, these mutts are mobile. Jagoffs that cause crap in Maywood, Bellwood, and the west side of Chi. are only a couple expressway exits away from causing the same in Lombard.

If you get on CPD, about 26 weeks academy, then FTO for a month or 2, then you walk around some crap neighborhood for about 6 months, then more FTO.

Thank you kindly for the info, mid transition into civilian life, and I don't know the first thing about civilian law enforcement. Other than I do believe I'd be good at it, and I'm loyal, I don't have any other input. Thanks for yourse.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
                          Respectfully, you have a dangerous attitude. I'm a service member myself. PDs are full of cops that have been to the sandbox and AFG. That Maywood will be a cakewalk theory, if you meant it just as you said it, will cause plenty of problems for you. I came to policing because I loved the service and felt it was really close. It is really not. OCONUS deployments to combat zones is not the same as solo patrol in Maywood, Il, America. In this job you could be the most physically fit officer, an expert in several weapons systems, know the state statutes, a great defensive tactics practicioner....and die in a traffic crash responding to low priority call. Even the tiny "boring" PDs encounter risk and danger. It's part of the job. I definitely wouldn't regard Maywood as a cakewalk. You can be a Navy Seal. No one cares in FTO and if you can't get with the program you'll be bounced. Flat out.
                          I meant no disrespect, sorry if it came off that way. What I should have said was "I'm more than happy to work in a crap neighborhood with a "high crime rate" as opposed to a country with their own rules with civilians who don't want to see my pretty face around". And it will be nice to wear lighter armor for a change. Haha. I'm no seal. But forgive me for feeling like working from 12 miles away from. Y residence strikes me as a bit less stressful. Ya dig? I'm taking a pay cut that would make you throw up...if you only knew. But it can't always be about the money I guess. Who knows man...maybe I can even make a difference in a place like maywood....I sure as he'll haven't made one over there. Semper fi, my dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden341 View Post
                            You're not even on yet. How are you telling anyone to avoid departments in general... You told people to avoid CPD in the CPD thread and yet you still applied. You don't even follow your own advice.
                            Seeing them on the news and internet every other day for corruption is why

Comment

And you believe everything on the news...? You really have a lot to learn son.

Comment

^God, I thought this kid was at least going off a little more than that...smh! The news media is a business competing for ratings...take what you HEAR at face value. You're not going to hear about the officer who helped an old lady cross the street, that doesn't get people to tune in. They thrive on negativity and making people live in fear...btw what makes the news is less than 1 percent of what actually happens or is worth reporting on.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11849 users online. 418 members and 11431 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X