X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D.T.O.M
    replied
    LOL this thread is funny.

Aviation "Security" are Fully sworn police. They are "Security" in name downtown only, All of their creds and IDs say police, no security anywhere on it, it is so they dont have to pay them the same way as CPD. They are SEIU Local 7 , Public Safety Unit 2....Same union as Detention Aides. They now attend the Chicago Police Metro Academy.

Hiring wise they are going through all SEIU bids first (for instance, Detention Aide to Aviation Police is a Lateral move with the city, not promotional, and not an outside hire, unlike Detention Aide or Aviation Police to Chicago Police Officer). They then take any CITY employee, then outside applicants. Itll be a little bit before non employees get hired.

Leave a comment:

• newsti13
    replied
    I applied and haven't heard anything

Leave a comment:

• mk5400
    replied
    Originally posted by warhead9090 View Post
    its been years this topic has not been touch. But just curious anyone else besides me applyed for aviation security back in febuary? Was woundering whats going on with that.
    I spoke with HR last month. They told me they are going through existing chicago employee applications first then they will go through the rest of the apps. I heard they don't usually get that many from internally so hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Leave a comment:

• warhead9090
    replied
    its been years this topic has not been touch. But just curious anyone else besides me applyed for aviation security back in febuary? Was woundering whats going on with that.

Leave a comment:

• Dompolice
    replied
    Originally posted by ochave000 View Post
    Any word yet when they will be testing or hiring soon?
    No, a lot of Political issues have been occurring around the airport. I would say everything will be on a hold until a little after mayor elect takes office...

Leave a comment:

• ochave000
    replied
    Any word yet when they will be testing or hiring soon?

Leave a comment:

• Dompolice
    replied
    Originally posted by loyolapd
    Do you guys patrol outside of the O’Hare Airport? Reason I ask is because I was on my way to Villa Park PD picking up an app today and I saw a couple squads on Mannheim Rd n Irving Park stopping somebody…

Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Dompolice
    replied
    Originally posted by ochave000 View Post
    the aviation special police they have a chicago residency requirement right?
    "Aviation Police" does have a residency requirement...its sucks.

Leave a comment:

• OFHPD300
    replied
    Very true Cable...

I could have not said it any better...

The Aviation Police have a long way to go and I'm hoping that someday their chance to shine will come in a big way...

We both have been thru the school of hard knocks with both departments and one thing for sure,
    we never gave up to better ourselves in this line of work...

I would say to anyone who has the chance to get into any department, being aviation police, campus or hospital police to get in and give it a try...

At least get that Police Academy out of the way, so you have the opportunity to open alot of doors to a great line of work...

Be safe out there...

Leave a comment:

• Cable
    replied
    OF, your missing the point.

We were similar once. OFH was able to improve, Stroger wasn't. You've got pro-active management, we don't. Oak Forest Hospital supports you, Stroger doesn't support us.

The difference in our departments are staggering.

The department has gotten older by design. Older officers don't look for other jobs as patrolmen.

LOL! Your old guys leave, ours don't. They hold on until they get their 30 in. Your dept likes youth.

You're given the chance to patrol the streets, we rarely do.

The changes you guys have from my first visit in 93 to my last in 04 have been outstanding. Back in 93 we were similar departments with similar problems. The difference is, Oak Forest Hospital backed you guys and gave you the chance to improve. Strogers still trying to replace us with armed security guards.

I was at Park's funeral too. It's always great to see our brothers from the south.

And you're always welcome to visit. See what it's like.

We like our jobs but hate where we work.

Leave a comment:

• OFHPD300
    replied
    So it was the big things that made you leave and your friends still tell you things have not changed...

Like I said...

Things have come along way and you jumped ship to soon from Stroger Hospital...(Talk to the new guys...)

Three of our officers attended a funeral for one of the Stroger Hospital Police Officers and they were very happy to see us there...

Afterwards both departments have been in communication since and this is for the better...Those officers at Stroger were very professional in regards to appearance and I found that they had the right frame of mind for bring hospital police officers...

I hate to rain on your parade; but I love being a police officer/ firefighter at Oak Forest Hospital...

When I started there 15 years ago; the old guys were lazy and did not want to do there jobs...

When us new guys started to really make a difference and work; I guess the job was to much for them... So as time went on we were glad to see the old guys leave or retire...

I learned from them and I would not do the something back to any of our new guys...

I helped changed things and make it a respected department...

Some people like us and some people don't...
    Last edited by OFHPD300; 02-08-2011, 07:34 AM. Reason: Type o

Leave a comment:

• Cable
    replied
    Originally posted by OFHPD300 View Post
    Originally Posted by Cable
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

If he had to go in the hospital we had to leave our guns in a guard shack on the ER drive.

<sigh> Memories

You must have left the Hospital PD with a bad taste in your mouth...

You should remember that things change and maybe you left
    during the bad times... To bad. ...

I have been at the job for over 15 years and I never let the simple
    things get me to leave...

In my 15 years and still going I'm the most active officer on patrol in and out of our squads... I love traffic stops and confiscate as many illegally used handicapped placards
    all day long... Plus the tickets and court calls...

And guess what...

We carry our firearms all the time...

Like I said things change...

You left to early and missed how it is to be a police officer
    in a hospital setting...

Be safe and anyone who has the heart to become a officer anywhere
    remember we just want one thing...

To get home in one piece...

I have the ribbons to prove it...

Come visit us some time...

You might like what you see...
    Been to Oak Forest a couple of times.

You guys have it better than us. Trust me on that.

A couple of points about your comments:

1st, I do have postitve memories of my time there and made a lot of lifelong friendships. Leaving was bittersweet, but necessary. And noone who's left wants to go back.

My friends still there say nothings changed, although now they do have a computer in the squad room for officers to use.

I was there 16 years and it wasen't the little things that bothered me, it was the big things.

You guys have cars, as in more than 1. That the officers can drive. I bet there's a cpu in the car too. Ever try doing a traffic stop on foot? I have. Look, we just got light bars on our cars in 1998. We just started writing parking tickets in 2002. And writing a movers? No.

We were allowed to carry our firearms in the building during my rookie year. But only the weapon and ammo they issued. And you had to leave it at work.

And like I said things haven't changed

And lets face it, and no disrespect intended. You obviously like it at Oak Forest. But your experience is different from mines because we worked at different places. It's 2 completely different departments. 2 completely different work enviornments. Different supervision, different officers, different types of calls. You guys are firefighters, we're not. We have a trauma unit, you don't. Our checks come from the same place, but the similarities end there.

Leave a comment:

• ochave000
    replied
    the aviation special police they have a chicago residency requirement right?

Leave a comment:

• OFHPD300
    replied
    Cook County Oak Forest Hospital Police Officer at your service...

Originally Posted by Cable
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

If he had to go in the hospital we had to leave our guns in a guard shack on the ER drive.

<sigh> Memories

You must have left the Hospital PD with a bad taste in your mouth...

You should remember that things change and maybe you left
    during the bad times... To bad. ...

I have been at the job for over 15 years and I never let the simple
    things get me to leave...

In my 15 years and still going I'm the most active officer on patrol in and out of our squads... I love traffic stops and confiscate as many illegally used handicapped placards
    all day long... Plus the tickets and court calls...

And guess what...

We carry our firearms all the time...

Like I said things change...

You left to early and missed how it is to be a police officer
    in a hospital setting...

Be safe and anyone who has the heart to become a officer anywhere
    remember we just want one thing...

To get home in one piece...

I have the ribbons to prove it...

Come visit us some time...

You might like what you see...

Leave a comment:

• Dompolice
    replied
    Originally posted by loyolapd
    You think they will be posting positions again in March? Or keep going off the invisible list?...lol
    I would think they would post something by march...they have 3 in the academy now... Ill see if i can find out.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7039 users online. 307 members and 6732 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X