Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aviation Security Officer - Chicago

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aviation Security Officer - Chicago

    Looks like they will be hiring 33 officers who are currently certified from their advertisement.
    Last edited by littleguy; 03-17-2010, 10:07 PM.

  • #2
    What advertisment did you find t his info out?

    Comment


    • #3
      https://chicago.taleo.net/careersect...g=en&job=31306

      Comment


      • #4
        It's for P/T. They usually hire retired CPD guys, although that's not carved in stone. Can't carry a gun, they don't even let our retirees carry. You'll find more people that have been fired from other PD's (including CPD) working the F/T gig. I'm not too fond of working public areas (parking lots, streets that border the airport, depart/arrival vehicle areas, taxi-limo staging) unarmed. Dept. of Aviation does not want anyone armed at either airport except CPD that are assigned.
        One of their people pulls up next to us on 63rd one night (we're in our unmarked CV) and demand to know who we are. Pretty stupid, being that the car they pulled up next to (us) has 4 guns in it and they have none..

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by musclefanatic
          why would they require certified officers and not let them carry a weapon. Might as well just hire civilians.
          Dir. and Dep. Dir. of Aviation only want CPD armed at the airports. Plus with some of the "talent" they hired in that Dept., they don't want them armed. They basically are security. CPD handles all the Police work at the airports.

          Comment


          • #6
            CPD assigned to the airports and Dept. of Aviation Police are 2 different depts. Like a buddy of mine that was a Sgt. there said to me "I get pizzed when people coming through here treat my guys like Andy Frain guards. They don't realize that just about every one of them have killed someone in shootouts on this job."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
              CPD assigned to the airports and Dept. of Aviation Police are 2 different depts. Like a buddy of mine that was a Sgt. there said to me "I get pizzed when people coming through here treat my guys like Andy Frain guards. They don't realize that just about every one of them have killed someone in shootouts on this job."
              Well, wouldn't that make the Aviation Police kinda pointless, then? Wouldn't it make more sense to just have all CPD throughout the airport and eliminate AP, seeing that they aren't allowed to carry on/off duty per dept. rules? Must be a political thing. Just about everything that has to do with Chicago is political these days.

              Comment


              • #8
                They used to be known as the Dept of Aviation Special Police...not sure what type of training and certification they were required to have back then. After 9/11 the FAA required airports to have actual State-certified officers...so they were all sent for their 400 hours academy, if they didn't already have it from another dept, and hey presto they were renamed Dept of Aviation police. Because they are paid a lot less than their CPD equivalents at the airports they'll be around for the future. Who knows why they aren't armed...i'm sure it's political...in case anyone didn't know...City of Chicago and Mayor Daley don't like guns...those things are dangerous...!!!
                Christ, you know it ain't easy...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                  You'll find more people that have been fired from other PD's (including CPD) working the F/T gig.
                  Because of the above, they don't want them armed.

                  Originally posted by ccsd0601 View Post
                  Must be a political thing. Just about everything that has to do with Chicago is political these days.
                  Man, you are cynical..Must work for the County

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                    Because of the above, they don't want them armed.



                    Man, you are cynical..Must work for the County
                    Damn... is it THAT obvious? (LMAO)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      They used to be known as the Dept of Aviation Special Police...not sure what type of training and certification they were required to have back then. After 9/11 the FAA required airports to have actual State-certified officers...so they were all sent for their 400 hours academy, if they didn't already have it from another dept, and hey presto they were renamed Dept of Aviation police. Because they are paid a lot less than their CPD equivalents at the airports they'll be around for the future. Who knows why they aren't armed...i'm sure it's political...in case anyone didn't know...City of Chicago and Mayor Daley don't like guns...those things are dangerous...!!!
                      I figured it may have been some type of Federal requirement. And it's just like Daley to make sure that they meet the mininum requirements so it looks good on paper.

                      @ ChiTownDet: Good point. If the officers are bascially misphits from other depts., then maybe it's good that they do not carry. But you also gotta think: Is it a good idea to have them guarding an airport, which is a nice sized terror-target?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                        One of their people pulls up next to us on 63rd one night (we're in our unmarked CV) and demand to know who we are. Pretty stupid, being that the car they pulled up next to (us) has 4 guns in it and they have none..
                        I would think that since they are/were cops they could spot a unmarked from a mile away. Ain't that hard, us county guys can even do it !
                        One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ccsd0601 View Post
                          @ ChiTownDet: Good point. If the officers are bascially misphits from other depts., then maybe it's good that they do not carry. But you also gotta think: Is it a good idea to have them guarding an airport, which is a nice sized terror-target?
                          I would have either went "all in" such as LAX PD, NY Port Auth. PD, Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport PD, etc. and created a professional PD that handled all Police duties at the airports. Or the flip side is have a security force to supplement CPD assigned there (such as guarding checkpoints, access to outer gates, construction/delivery people). They could have had training at the CPD Academy that didn't go to the level of a full Police Academy Cert. But as usual, the City created a clout spot that gives out stars , Police ID's and State of Ill. Police Officer Cert. to people.

                          I was at the academy when they started this Dept. and they were called "special police," basically security guards, but able to make an arrest on the airport property (in fact they were issued "shields" and only got the Police stars years later). Maurer tried to make them the only Police at the airports, but should have known that wasn't going to happen. He made it LOOK like a PD. He pushed that agenda a bit too hard and he's gone. The instructors had a class of about 20 of the first ones hired and one instructor said that there were a couple that weren't very fluent in English. He said that it felt like they were training Police for some 3rd world country. But as usual, don't let competence get in the way of doing something the right way.

                          But, hey, what do I know, I'm only a dumb copper...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A friend who went through the metro academy in 2005 said they had a few recruits from Aviation that failed the state test twice and finally passed after tutoring by the metro instructors. Now I see why they are looking for certified only.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There is no way that Daley wants two police forces in the City of Chicago. They only exist to fulfil a Federal requirement and they are a lot cheaper than putting CPD on their posts.

                              Originally it was a duplicate of LAPD in looks...the real dark uniforms, sunburst shields, etc. Was one of the original bosses formerly LAPD? After the certification requirement they were issued CPD-style stars.

                              It is a "political" job, and hence you will meet a lot of "questionable" characters out there. Because of the nature of the hiring it is a dept full of ill will and tons of BS lawsuits being bandied about on a weekly basis.

                              From what I hear they've just moved in some new senior management from other City Dpets to try to revamp it.

                              There are some older threads on this Dept. There's some great posts by some CPD guy (Severe, I think) that pretty much sums it up very well.
                              Christ, you know it ain't easy...

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 10303 users online. 483 members and 9820 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X