Last Action
    Date Chamber Action
    2/24/2010 Senate Assigned to Public Health

Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance
    720 ILCS 5/24-2
    730 ILCS 5/3-2-12 new
    730 ILCS 125/27 new

Synopsis As Introduced
    Amends the Criminal Code of 1961, the Unified Code of Corrections, and the County Jail Act. Permits currently employed and retired State correctional officers and county correctional officers to carry their own firearms off duty without being in violation of the unlawful use of weapons and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon statutes if they meet certain training requirements.

Actions
    Date Chamber Action
    2/10/2010 Senate Filed with Secretary by Sen. J. Bradley Burzynski
    2/10/2010 Senate First Reading
    2/10/2010 Senate Referred to Assignments
    2/24/2010 Senate Assigned to Public Health

They're passing this around the compound. Now, I thought that since we have peace officer status, we're protected by H.R. 218?

Comment

So is this a push FOR OD carry for thise who are only allowed to carry to and from work? If so than bring it. And yes....we fall under HR218 cuz of our peace officer status.
      One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

The "peace officer" status of county correctional officers or deputies all depends on the particular county you work for. Some are simply correctional officers or deputies and some are deputy sheriff's assigned to the correctional division. Heck, in our county, the dispatchers and records personnel are deputized, does that mean they can carry also? LOL! This is just another case where there is much variation in each counties interpretation of the wonderful numerous laws our state has enacted.
        What not to openly admit in the Officer.com Forums: "I AM an active member of I.P.R." - Riggs45

"Please let me know, Thank you." in honor of Chitown2210

“What's right is what's left if you've done everything else wrong.” - Robin Williams

Comment

Yes it is a push for those that do not have peace officer status off the job. Such as IDOC.Also there is a senate bill to allow State Attorney's to carry weapons off duty.

Peoria is also asking to be a test city for a pilot concealed carry program for Illinois.

Comment

Our CO's have Deputy Status but are not Sworn Peace Officers.

Comment

For all the genius's on this board. All county CO's are deputy sheriffs. All are protected by HR 218. All are sworn peace officers. It is merely ur counties general orders that decide what you are allowed to do.
              Any CO can carry off duty and the only problem that could arise would be a write up or discipline from their county.

It's messed up that alot of county CO's can't carry cause the are the ones that deal with criminals all day every day.
              Last edited by McHenrysFinest; 03-03-2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Post Deleted By Author
                Last edited by LEJAmav; 03-19-2010, 02:19 AM.

Comment

asdfds

No.

County C.O. does not authomatically = Deputy Sheriff.

I ain't a genius, but I know the above to be fact.

~

Comment

yea why would I know how the CO I work for does things. Our CO's are non-sworn and where just given non sworn Deputy Sheriff status within the last year or two. Before that they carried the title of Correctional Officer only. They can carry to and from and on Transports thats it. I suggest you do your homework Mchenrys finest.

Comment

Originally posted by McHenrysFinest View Post
                      For all the genius's on this board. All county CO's are deputy sheriffs. All are protected by HR 218. All are sworn peace officers. It is merely ur counties general orders that decide what you are allowed to do.
                      Any CO can carry off duty and the only problem that could arise would be a write up or discipline from their county.

It's messed up that alot of county CO's can't carry cause the are the ones that deal with criminals all day every day.
                      Suffice it to say that you are WRONG!!!!
                      You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

I thought that Cook County Correctional Officers were the only COs with peace officer status. Will County, for example, have Deputy Sheriff's which have peace officer status/full police powers (they're on the road and do the general patrol of of the county), and the Correctional Officers are not sworn, nor do they have peace officer status. I believe the same is for Lake, and McHenry County.

Comment

Originally posted by McHenrysFinest View Post

You are wrong sir.

In fact, I really hope you dont work for McHenry and are saying this.

McHenry CO's are NOT deputies, and are not protected under HR 218. You do not have arrest authorityh by statute because you are not deputized by the sheriff.

How do I know this? I WORKED FOR THEM.

Unless you have a liittle card in your wallet that says you are A DEPUTY, or deputized in any way, you have no peace officer powers as a CO.

Oh and it states you are from madison, wi. If you work there you would also know that not ALL CO's in WIS are deputized as well. as with IL, as a CO you are technicaly considered a "peace officer" but are not automaticaly granted police or peace officer powers, hence HR 218 does not cover you, nor will the department.

In IL you have to be deputized by the county sheriff. VERY FEW counties out here do this, at least in northern IL. The few I know of are DuPage, Cook County, Dekalb, Kendall, Whiteside, and Lasalle. Those are the ones I KNOW are deputized off the top of my head, and are all counties I encountered while in the academy.

Kane and Will SAY their CO's are "Deputies" but are not given any police powers or off duty carry ability.
                          Last edited by M.C.S.D; 03-03-2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ccsd0601 View Post
                            I thought that Cook County Correctional Officers were the only COs with peace officer status. Will County, for example, have Deputy Sheriff's which have peace officer status/full police powers (they're on the road and do the general patrol of of the county), and the Correctional Officers are not sworn, nor do they have peace officer status. I believe the same is for Lake, and McHenry County.
                            Nope, there are a few others.

Actually Dupage have one up on Cook also, they are given FULL police powers and are not considered "CO's". Deputies are REQUIRED to start in the jail with the ability after so many years to transfer to patrol. They even wear the same uniforms and everything as Patrol. In fact, if you look at their credentials, uniforms, badges, ect. they are all the same. You couldnt tell who works in the jail and who is on the road. Deputies in the jail and courts can also get onto specialized teams that have NOTHING to do with the jail or courts. Except SWAT I believe.

Now some of that is the same as Cook (having to start in the jail and having some police powers).

From what I know of DuPage as well, they back their officers a bit more.

Comment

The only thing about this bill that I think is kind of crappy is that fact that individuals would have to pay for the off duty firearms course themselves, instead of it being part of the initial training from ILETASB.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4201 users online. 296 members and 3905 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X