Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook County Jail on Discovery Channel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cook County Jail on Discovery Channel

    chicago sun times

    Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart, who attracts headlines like bees to honey, is at it again!
    What previous sheriffs turned down in the past, he has given a thumbs up: opening the doors of Cook County Jail for an in-depth peek inside.

    • Translation: A three-part reality TV series delving into the innards of the nation's largest single-site jail premieres on the Discovery Channel on Thursday.

    • To wit: "For decades, Cook County Jail officials have shut out the world and the media as tightly as they locked down inmates, unwilling to reveal the jail's innermost workings," according to the show's producers.

    • Upshot: "We felt strongly about opening the doors of our facility in a way that hasn't been done before," said Dart, who permitted a film crew to roam the jail for 10 weeks this summer with unprecedented access to jail cells.

    • Backshot: The 96-acre barbed-wire fortress contains nearly 10,000 inmates, many accused of society's worst crimes, and 3,000 correctional officers. "We want people to see inside, to know what it's like for inmates and staff, and to get an idea of the challenges we face every day," Dart said.

    • Potshots: The video captures inmates using toothpaste caps to jam door locks; holding milk cartons to light bulbs to create cell fires; throwing feces and urine on correctional officers while pretending to be hurt, and how prisoners fashion knives out of almost anything.

    • Scary shot: The ratio of three inmates for every correctional officer is one of the worst in the nation, a jail spokesman said. "And until a prisoner gets processed, he could be sitting in a holding cell next to a businessman or a gang-banging serial killer," the spokesman said.
    The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any LE agency, other person or entity.

  • #2
    3:1 ratio for inmates to officers is bad? Color me surprised. I interned at a county Sheriff's office in Illinois and I'm pretty sure the ratio was closer to 15:1 - there were only a handful of correctional officers on shift for all the inmates, which is pretty much the case of what I see currently as well.

    3:1 seems pretty good even for a maximum security lockdown but I guess that shows what I know about maximum security prisons, haha.
    Last edited by ShepXD; 11-17-2009, 11:30 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ShepXD View Post
      3:1 ratio for inmates to officers is bad? Color me surprised. I interned at a county Sheriff's office in Illinois and I'm pretty sure the ratio was closer to 15:1 - there were only a handful of correctional officers on shift for all the inmates, which is pretty much the case of what I see currently as well.

      3:1 seems pretty good even for a maximum security lockdown but I guess that shows what I know about maximum security prisons, haha.
      10,000:3,000 you have to remember there is 3 shifts so it's 10,000:1000 at any given time (according to this). Now subtract 2/7 officers for every day off and now it's 10,000:715 (13:1) per shift minus vacations, medical, and so forth and you will likely "see" few officers among many inmates beyond 15:1 at any given time.

      So 3:1 only sounds good on the news when people think one officer has 3 inmates. We are not even counting the officers that are in offices, entrances, and other positions not involving inmates.
      Last edited by blk98gt; 11-18-2009, 12:47 AM.
      You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

      Comment


      • #4
        ^^^^ And you need to remember that on midnights its skeleton crew so day and noons get the most of the three so its more like 1200, 1200, 600 or there abouts. Per shift its about 36-48 to 1 ofc per tier. Shift per division is way skewed. Take div 2. Any guess to what inmate to ofc ratio is there? So the numbers don't jive. They won't cuz as "open" as this may seem to the public, we will see edited tapes and those ofcs taped are more then likely admin team players and inmates taped most likely were coerced to behave. I will not dare believe for ONE minute that any of what we shall see is 100% genuine.
        Last edited by cclawdog; 11-18-2009, 07:07 PM.
        One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cclawdog View Post
          ^^^^ And you need to remember that on midnights its skeleton crew so day and noons get the most of the three so its more like 1200, 1200, 600 or there abouts. Per shift its about 36-48 to 1 ofc per tier. Shift per division is way skewed. Take div 2. Any guess to what inmate to ofc ratio is there? So the numbers don't jive. They won't cuz as "open" as this may seem to the public, we will see edited tapes and those ofcs taped are more then likely admin team players and inmates taped most likely were coerced to behave. I will not dare believe for ONE minute that any of what we shall see is 100% genuine.
          Remember double tiers for each tier officer (night shift) in Div. XI?

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah the ratios are ****ed. But I wonder how they're gonna portray us.
            Hug A Thug!sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              I would be embarrassed for my family or friends to see me on t.v.

              That job is only a paycheck and health insurance, nothing more.
              Dedication and loyalty mean not a thing in the County

              Comment


              • #8
                You guys are really good at math!
                JG til the World Blow up

                Comment


                • #9
                  The first episode is titled An elite squad of correctional officers known as the Emergency Response Team hunts for a hidden weapon in the opener of the series examining conditions at Chicago s Cook County Jail.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JGtiltheworld View Post
                    You guys are really good at math!
                    Not really. If I was i would have posted the correct answer through a series of formulas and equations. As it is I can count to 72 (thanks to hot bunk days).
                    Speaking of hot bunk, too bad they showed up after that practice was terminated. That woulda been nice to show the world
                    One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Diehard1 View Post
                      I would be embarrassed for my family or friends to see me on t.v.

                      That job is only a paycheck and health insurance, nothing more.
                      Dedication and loyalty mean not a thing in the County
                      yeah... loyalty wil probably get you a write-up...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You knew their wasnt going to be an episode without Tommy "Toupee" Dart showing his mug on there.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Diehard1 View Post
                          I would be embarrassed for my family or friends to see me on t.v.

                          That job is only a paycheck and health insurance, nothing more.
                          Dedication and loyalty mean not a thing in the County
                          Why cause your 12 years have made you a fat slob? Its all the people that we work with that think like you that make us look bad. I bet your family and friends would be just as embarrassed.
                          Crime fighter!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm going to record it just to show my teen boys where you get to "hang out" while you wait for your bond to be set or paid.

                            I know that every time I go to CCJ to writ someone out, I make sure my ID card is always on my jacket so there's never a mistake about me being a guest there..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ERT didn't look like no elite team....inmates don't fear them!

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 10372 users online. 378 members and 9994 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Working...
                              X