Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now I must dial area code+ number for local

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Now I must dial area code+ number for local

    Sorry but I think its weird that I have to dial the same area code im living in just for a local call (literally 3 blocks away). Stupid city rules.


    Sorry just need to rant a little.

  • #2
    Post Deleted By Author
    Last edited by LEJAmav; 03-19-2010, 02:34 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ChgoPaintball View Post
      Sorry but I think its weird that I have to dial the same area code im living in just for a local call (literally 3 blocks away). Stupid city rules.


      Sorry just need to rant a little.
      Are you serious? when did this start?

      Comment


      • #4
        Several Years Now.
        Remember 9/11! No dog compares to a Wirehair!

        Comment


        • #5
          I always just programmed the areacode into my phone when I put in the number of the person I was calling.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well it just started a week or so ago here in the Chicago 773 area. Now my cell phone still displays the caller's name when I get the call, even though I have only the 7 digits stored, but if I select the name in my contact list and press the call button, I get an error because I haven't used all 10 digits.

            This is just abysmally stupid. There is no good reason to discontinue the policy of using the area code of the calling phone as the default area code for the called number if only 7 digits are entered prior to the pressing of the call button. Furthermore, you should be able to set any prefix you want on cell phone calls anyway, including using 312 as the prefix when your phone is a 773 phone.

            The explanation I got is that because there are so many numbers now, everyone now has to use all 10 digits for every call, which is obviously an idea that is deeply from hell and should immediately be sent back there.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have to dail 1 then the area code then the number to call.
              Remember 9/11! No dog compares to a Wirehair!

              Comment


              • #8
                well living in the city all my life, I think I only lived through 1 change. When 312 was only for the inner portion and 773 was the outer portion.

                So the suburbans saying they been doing it for years, do you mean if you live in 708 (or where ever you live) area code, that you still have to dial 708 to make your local call?

                Thats the part thats funny for the new city thing. If I want to dial to my friend down the block (hardline), I need to dial 773 while calling from a 773 number (hardline to hardline).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ChgoPaintball View Post
                  well living in the city all my life, I think I only lived through 1 change. When 312 was only for the inner portion and 773 was the outer portion.

                  So the suburbans saying they been doing it for years, do you mean if you live in 708 (or where ever you live) area code, that you still have to dial 708 to make your local call?

                  Thats the part thats funny for the new city thing. If I want to dial to my friend down the block (hardline), I need to dial 773 while calling from a 773 number (hardline to hardline).
                  yep and dont forget the 1 before the area code.
                  Remember 9/11! No dog compares to a Wirehair!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've never in my life had to dial (708) when calling a number with that same area code.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It depends on the size of the city/metroplex and the number of available hard lines and cell phone numbers that are overlayed in the same geogrphical area. When it gets too big, it goes to 10 for all local calls just like it went from 5 years ago (WA-359) to names (SWift 4-1234) to straight numbers (708-492-xxxx) and eventually SSNs assigned as phone numbers ( )

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have a solution. Dont give anyone under the age of 16 a cell phone. Sorry thought it was funny since I saw my little sister on her cell phone and is only 11.

                        (shes sick....supposedly...yeah right)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Post Deleted By Author
                          Last edited by LEJAmav; 03-19-2010, 02:47 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I remember when everything was 312 and they added 708. 708 slowly got split up to 630, 815, 847. They started an overly in 847 and then 815. Now we all have to dial 1+area code+phone number. I've been doing it for several years now, going from 847 to 815 and being right on the dividing line for a while.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by K9Tom View Post
                              I remember when everything was 312 and they added 708. 708 slowly got split up to 630, 815, 847. They started an overly in 847 and then 815. Now we all have to dial 1+area code+phone number. I've been doing it for several years now, going from 847 to 815 and being right on the dividing line for a while.
                              I was starting to think I was the only one.
                              Remember 9/11! No dog compares to a Wirehair!

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5071 users online. 267 members and 4804 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X