300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass on Patrol

Wow. A Chief responding to calls with their officers. That would be cool. RT was my Deputy Chief when I got hired and he left too soon after for Carbondale. Nothing but great memories and stories about him from most of us. Hope he and the other involved officer recover quickly.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/200...ampaign_police

CHAMPAIGN – A 15-year-old boy was shot dead and Champaign's police chief injured during an altercation between police officers and youths who may have been trying to break into a house Friday, police said.

The fight involved two 15-year-olds, who may have been part of a larger group trying to get into a house at 906 W. Vine St., as well as Chief R.T. Finney and an unnamed officer, who has been placed on paid administrative leave.

The dead teen was identified by Champaign County Coroner Duane Northrup as Kiwane Carrington, of the 1400 block of North Champaign Street, C. That information was released during a 9 p.m. press conference called by police to provide information on the incident to community leaders. According to a release provided by police, "The Champaign Police Department remains concerned for all those that were involved in this incident. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the 15-year-old, as well as our officers and their families."

The other teen was not identified because he is a juvenile, police said.

The events transpired within a matter of minutes, Deputy Chief Troy Daniels said at a brief press conference Friday afternoon.

At 1:20 p.m., a neighbor called to tell police that at least two youths were trying to get into a house, both through doors and windows.

The unnamed officer got to the scene almost immediately, and Finney also responded. Daniels said the chief often goes out on calls.

When the two officers tried to detain the boys, a scuffle ensued during which a police weapon discharged, fatally injuring Mr. Carrington. The other boy was not hurt, Daniels said.

The weapon involved was not the chief's, Daniels said.

"They did not follow instructions" to comply with officers and get on the ground, Daniels said. The unnamed officer was in full uniform; Finney displayed a badge, the deputy chief said.

Mr. Carrington was taken to Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, after he received emergency aid from other officers "within earshot" of the incident, Daniels said. He was pronounced dead at the hospital at 2:16 p.m., according to Northrup. An autopsy will be performed at 3 p.m. today, and a coroner's inquest will be held at a later date.

The other 15-year-old was taken to the Champaign police lockup, on suspicion of burglary.

During the fight, Finney's shoulder was hurt. He was treated at Carle and released. Daniels said he couldn't say at this time whether Finney was injured by some sort of weapon.

Several agencies are investigating, including the Urbana, Rantoul and the University of Illinois police departments. The Illinois State Police is taking the lead, Daniels said.

Our chief has been known to show up at calls all the time, hell he still carries a back up gun on an ankle holster.
    "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

Comment

It's good to hear both the Chief and officer came out on top.

I've been to Champaign many times and I could say from what I've seen that they are a very top notch department.

I just wonder how long it'll take the "community" to decry this unnecessary shooting of a honor student who just happened to be going house to house collecting donations for the blind on his way to church...

Comment

My Chief has showed up on a couple of calls. I usually code out as soon as possible, and get the hell out of there. No real reason, but I'm not one of the those guys who just stays on the scene because higher brass is there.
        Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

we had a police chief in KY murdered while transporting a suspect a couple years ago.

Comment

No reason for a chief to show up on a call unless the department is so small that he counts as patrol manpower. Every time my chief has shown up on a call, coppers do things differently and he acts as a distraction. I would prefer that he be a good administrator, get us the equipment we need, and back us up when we take a beating in the media or the "community".

Comment

I hope they charge the survivor with murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
                I hope they charge the survivor with murder.
                he's been convicted

Comment

Originally posted by blueline1032 View Post
                  No reason for a chief to show up on a call unless the department is so small that he counts as patrol manpower. Every time my chief has shown up on a call, coppers do things differently and he acts as a distraction. I would prefer that he be a good administrator, get us the equipment we need, and back us up when we take a beating in the media or the "community".
                  I would agree most officers would do things differently if most chiefs showed up on calls. I'm saying that if would be nice to have a chief that still got out there and didn't forget what it was like to work the street. It seems when a good street cop makes it up the ranks, they forget what it was like to work the street and try to hold the officers to a higher standard than when they worked the street. They totally forget how things really are.

Comment

In hammond, In with all there layoffs almost all the brass do patrols
                    Please let me know, Thank you.
                    US Army 13M

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5559 users online. 307 members and 5252 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X