Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ill. court OKs storing guns in car consoles

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by ShepXD View Post
    You're the one who wants to make the FOID card even more strict.
    If they are going to make handguns more accesable to people in their cars, along with other reason, then yes, but im not crying about it.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by bankfraudguy View Post
      If you don't like the prospect of the definition of "case" including a car's center counsole , FIND A NEW JOB.

      Doesn't sound so nice does it ?

      I was hoping that this thread would spur a discussion about where this law will take us and how the wildlife code factors in.

      For example, wildlife code reguires a plug in your shotgun. So is my rem 870 sans plug when sitting in my bedroom now illegal?

      Now that the common definition of "case" was used in the decision I fully expect to see an attemt to re-word the law. But for now it stands, and since it does, a LOT of things would be considered a case then.

      Back to the original traffic stop, does anybody know what else was going on at the time of arrest. What real harm is it if a guy has an unloaded gun in a center console vs having it in a cheap walmat pistol case? Do you guys really think that's worth jail time? For cripes sake ! A five dollar piece of canvas with a zipper on it is all kosher while a glove box means Jail ?!?! That's crazy !
      im sure you see so much of this sitting behind a desk

      http://video.google.com/videosearch?...&hl=en&tab=wv#

      http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/1128858354

      http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip.as...DBA14A2FD94C9F

      o and look an Il plate on this one

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE93S7m40HU

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmfgh...eature=related

      should I keep going, just because it is intially put in the glove compartment or center console, doesnt mean they cant load it when the lights come on. stick to your desk job

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by mjw5678 View Post
        Dont be jealous cause im doing the job you wish you were doing.
        Is this really necessary?

        Originally posted by mjw5678 View Post
        should I keep going, just because it is intially put in the glove compartment or center console, doesnt mean they cant load it when the lights come on. stick to your desk job
        The ruling doesn't protect gang bangers or criminals illegally using guns, it broadens the definition of case for a law abiding citizen LAWFULLY carrying a firearm while LAWFULLY in possession of a FOID card, the kind of person who isn't going to load their gun and open fire on you while you make a traffic stop.

        Making an officer safety argument out of this ruling is ridiculous. Cops patrol and make traffic stops in 40+ states where citizens are lawfully carrying loaded firearms on their person, and you're worried about a FOID holder storing his unloaded gun in the center console?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by mjw5678 View Post
          if you guys dont like the gun laws in IL, MOVE
          That's a good point in a way because no matter how hard people fight to relax gun laws in IL, they're going to lose.

          It's a lost cause in many ways.

          Comment


          • #20
            I just wonder if this new ruling will affect the way CPD allows their horses to carry off-duty. Please let me know thank you

            Comment


            • #21
              My question is does this also apply to non residents, like those living justs a couple miles away from IL.? I often put my CCW in there, unloaded, but first I remove the slide/barrel so that it is obviously inoperable.
              Last edited by Jere; 10-11-2009, 07:16 AM. Reason: spleling erors/additions
              Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by mjw5678 View Post
                just because it is initially put in the glove compartment or center console, doesn't mean they cant load it when the lights come on
                I'm completely with you on this one. I just don't understand how they can knowingly put the lives of so many officers in jeopardy. It doesn't matter if the compartment is locked or not. I know most take the ignition key to open it but nothing stopping anyone from making another key. It only takes seconds to load a gun. Most semi autos don't need a magazine to fire one in the chamber either. I'm really concerned about the logic behind this decision.
                Last edited by cclawdog; 10-11-2009, 05:13 PM.
                One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by ShepXD View Post
                  Is this really necessary?



                  The ruling doesn't protect gang bangers or criminals illegally using guns, it broadens the definition of case for a law abiding citizen LAWFULLY carrying a firearm while LAWFULLY in possession of a FOID card, the kind of person who isn't going to load their gun and open fire on you while you make a traffic stop.

                  Making an officer safety argument out of this ruling is ridiculous. Cops patrol and make traffic stops in 40+ states where citizens are lawfully carrying loaded firearms on their person, and you're worried about a FOID holder storing his unloaded gun in the center console?
                  What, you never come across a whacked out LAWFULLY licensed firearms owner? LAWFULLY don't mean SAFELY or RESPONSIBLY or WISELY or for that matter LAW ABIDING!! Doesn't mean that this traffic stop becomes the day they turn into a criminal. State of mind plays a big part in that. Come on! You don't think cops in THOSE states are concerned what they are LAWFULLY possessing or carrying? Trust me, an armed citizen will and should always remain a concern for officers whether they are LAWFUL or not. And IL FOID law isn't infallible. S-heads fall thru the cracks all the time. So gun in a glove box? not looking like its a very smart decision to me.

                  As far as bangers and bad guys go, they don't follow the law anyway, as we all know. The answers aren't to make gun law stricter or looser, the answer should be in how the persons who use guns in committing a crime are prosecuted and sentenced.

                  Ur a cop with what...2years on the job? So at best you got 6 months out of probation. You got a lot of street wise to gain. Let me know how you feel in 5 to 10 years. NEVER BE COMPLACENT and be willing to except that because they are LAWFULLY possessing, transporting, carrying a gun means they will always act LAWFULLY.
                  Last edited by cclawdog; 10-11-2009, 05:24 PM.
                  One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by cclawdog View Post
                    I'm completely with you on this one. I just don't understand how they can knowingly put the lives of so many officers in jeopardy. It doesn't matter if the compartment is locked or not. I know most take the ignition key to open it but nothing stopping anyone from making another key. It only takes seconds to load a gun. Most semi autos don't need a magazine to fire one in the chamber either. I'm really concerned about the logic behind this decision.
                    Thats what im saying Brother

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by cclawdog View Post
                      What, you never come across a whacked out LAWFULLY licensed firearms owner? LAWFULLY don't mean SAFELY or RESPONSIBLY or WISELY or for that matter LAW ABIDING!! Doesn't mean that this traffic stop becomes the day they turn into a criminal. State of mind plays a big part in that. Come on! You don't think cops in THOSE states are concerned what they are LAWFULLY possessing or carrying? Trust me, an armed citizen will and should always remain a concern for officers whether they are LAWFUL or not. And IL FOID law isn't infallible. S-heads fall thru the cracks all the time. So gun in a glove box? not looking like its a very smart decision to me.

                      As far as bangers and bad guys go, they don't follow the law anyway, as we all know. The answers aren't to make gun law stricter or looser, the answer should be in how the persons who use guns in committing a crime are prosecuted and sentenced.

                      Ur a cop with what...2years on the job? So at best you got 6 months out of probation. You got a lot of street wise to gain. Let me know how you feel in 5 to 10 years. NEVER BE COMPLACENT and be willing to except that because they are LAWFULLY possessing, transporting, carrying a gun means they will always act LAWFULLY.
                      Hes got 2yrs on prob in a town like Naperville or some other up tight town who looks for DUI's and no valids all day.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        ShepXD, have you ever seen the video of the Deputy who was killed by the Milita member, he had a rifle in the car and loaded it while standing next to the truck while the Deputy orders him to stop, the Deputy was shot and killed and its all on tape, watch that video if you can find it, I couldnt, maybe some one on here can, or better yet go wrestle with a guy in the middle of a street over a gun like some of us have done, then you get back to us

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          ...................
                          Last edited by bankfraudguy; 03-16-2011, 03:02 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by bankfraudguy View Post
                            What in the hell would you do if you worked a few miles east in IN and were then likey to encounter someone carrying a loaded gun, in a holster, on their belt, fully within their rights to do so? Police everywhere else in this country seem to get by just fine.
                            Take it, unload, maybe even break it down (depending on his attitude) then hand it all back after the stop and tell him not to assemble or load it until I'm gone. But then again, this isn't Indiana, and until our Law Unit and the Cook Co. (Lake, Mc Henry, Du Page, Will, Kane, etc.) State's Attorney's Office says otherwise, if you have a gun in your console or glove compartment, you're an arrest..

                            If any P/O has been told of any changes (regarding the ruling) at this time, I'd like to hear how you were told to handle this type of situation.

                            As of now, I can't even run a gun through our Gun Desk without an RD# (report) and Inventory#.
                            Last edited by ChiTownDet; 10-11-2009, 09:43 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                              Take it, unload, maybe even break it down (depending on his attitude) then hand it all back after the stop and tell him not to assemble or load it until I'm gone. But then again, this isn't Indiana, and until our Law Unit and the Cook Co. (Lake, Mc Henry, Du Page, Will, Kane, etc.) State's Attorney's Office says otherwise, if you have a gun in your console or glove compartment, you're an arrest..

                              If any P/O has been told of any changes (regarding the ruling) at this time, I'd like to hear how you were told to handle this type of situation.

                              As of now, I can't even run a gun through our Gun Desk without an RD# (report) and Inventory#.
                              I have a buddy in AZ, he says they do just that, unload it etc, this goes for traffic stops on everyday citizens and the gangbangers who have not yet been convicted (caught) and allowed to carry legally. But this is not AZ or IN or any other state, its Illinois.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by cclawdog View Post
                                It only takes seconds to load a gun. Most semi autos don't need a magazine to fire one in the chamber either. I'm really concerned about the logic behind this decision.
                                You're right, it takes only seconds to load a gun. Does it matter then if the gun is carried unloaded and in a case in the backseat, or unloaded and in a locked center console? Both of which are generally methods that only a law abiding citizen would utilize, not some s-head banger or other criminal.

                                Given the exemptions already present to the UUW statute for carrying a gun, this case doesn't really change much. I'm frankly surprised at some of the responses here. But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

                                There's nothing stopping anyone from carrying a loaded gun on their persons, other than a law on the books. Someone that wants to kill a Police Officer during a traffic stop is probably not going to store their unloaded firearm in a locked case as per the UUW exemption. People are either going to abide by the law or they're not.


                                Originally posted by mjw5678 View Post
                                ShepXD, have you ever seen the video of the Deputy who was killed by the Milita member, he had a rifle in the car and loaded it while standing next to the truck while the Deputy orders him to stop, the Deputy was shot and killed and its all on tape, watch that video if you can find it, I couldnt, maybe some one on here can, or better yet go wrestle with a guy in the middle of a street over a gun like some of us have done, then you get back to us
                                I've seen the video. What law would have prevented that crazy psycho from keeping that gun in his car, or loading it and firing it at an officer?

                                Just do a google search for Deputy Kyle Dinkheller.
                                http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...69322100258929

                                Don't lecture me, mjw. This is an anonymous web forum and I don't know whether you are or are not an officer or who you claim to be, just as you do not know who I am or what my background and experience is.
                                Last edited by ShepXD; 10-12-2009, 03:29 PM.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4908 users online. 234 members and 4674 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X