300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasik/PRK

Is this a needed procedure for police work? I wear glasses and I was nervous that they would be knocked off in the course of policing. (I have seen a couple of cops walking around with glasses and always wondered how they didn't get them knocked off.) I have trouble with using contacts, so that's out.

Anyway, is there any way the state/city/town would pay for a cops Lasik / PRK procedure? That stuff is expensive.
    Last edited by Chicago_mwk; 10-10-2009, 04:01 PM. Reason: Grammer

I wear glasses. Never had them knocked off. The trick is to not let anyone hit you in the face. As far as a PD paying for lasik, that would be up to your health insurance. I don't think there is any PD that will outright pay for any type of surgery for you. If you are that worried about breaking a pair of glasses, wear contacts, or a band to hold the glasses on your head.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
      I wear glasses. Never had them knocked off. The trick is to not let anyone hit you in the face.
      I guess I coulda figured that one out...

I was just worried because I am blind without 'em. Perhaps the best option is to just suck it up and fork over the dough. Which shouldn't be that bad since I'll be getting that fat cop paycheck!

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago_mwk View Post
        I guess I coulda figured that one out...

I was just worried because I am blind without 'em. Perhaps the best option is to just suck it up and fork over the dough. Which shouldn't be that bad since I'll be getting that fat cop paycheck!

Where are you getting hired?

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
          Where are you getting hired?
          LOL... I was gonna ask the same question!

Comment

I used to wear glasses and never had a problem, even in a few fights. The only time they came off were in car accidents. Contacts never worked for me.
            I will definitely recommend LASIK to every officer. I had it done and it has made my life so much better. Glasses always seemed to be an inconvenience. Best $3K I ever spent!

Comment

I got Lasik a few months ago, through a previous employer. I got it for the same reasons 'Chicago mwk' had. My insurance paid $3000 of the $3600 bill. And yes, it depends on your insurance program. I got the Lasik done when I found out I got hired with a PD, and was really glad I did! I've had glasses drop on the ground getting out of the squad car, because I forgot they were in my lap (had to take them off, because I couldn't read the MDT). That's $200 down the drain when those lenses get scratched. It is so much better not having to worry about those things on your face, falling off, dropping them, forgetting them somewhere (especially if you wear prescription sunglasses, as well as regular prescription glasses), sweating down your nose. And I refuse to wear contacts, due to my seasonal allergies. Get it done! It's worth it. Go to LasikPlus. They will do adjustments for free, for life.
              What we do does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling.

The original "point and click" interface was a Smith and Wesson

Comment

I had laser vision correction about 7 years ago in Niagara Falls Canada. It only cost me $1500 American and it was the best $1500 I have ever spent. I could see 20/10 for a while now I still see 20/20. No more glasses sliding down your nose, no more cleaning the lenses, no more itchy contacts. Worth every penny.

If you can afford it, I'd go for it.
                "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

Prk

Brother had PRK done at USNA his Junior year. Went from about 20/40 to 20/15 in both eyes.
                  Now in Navy Pilot pipeline, loves his "new" eyes.

PRK is the onyl eye surgery for Navy Pilot or NFO's since Lasik can give problems in high "G" manuvers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4955 users online. 298 members and 4657 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X