• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEJAmav
    replied
    Currently at UIC

Post Deleted By Author
    Last edited by LEJAmav; 03-19-2010, 02:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    Originally posted by Chicago_mwk View Post
    You are correct, I am refering to my undergrad degree.

I was hoping that there was some sort of work around with CPD... that's unfortunate that they don't offer something like a sabbatical to complete a degree. That would've really helped me out. NEIU might be a good idea then... I was hoping to get a B.S. so I was initially looking for a science type college.

Looks like I need to adapt and overcome.
    The Dept., after you have cleared probation, will generally grant you a leave of absence for a variety of reasons, one being to attend school. You won't get paid, and will give up your star and ID. If you are gone for longer than 30 days (?), when you return, you have to "retread" through the academy. Usually for no longer than a month, monitoring classes, answering the phone at the front desk. You also loose seniority for whatever time you are gone.

If you decide to continue your education while working, the Dept. will pay for it (A=100% and goes down to 0 = for a D), and places like Lewis and Calumet have classes that meet at the academy, making it so that you don't have to travel to their campuses for a lot of the classes. Certain programs (Law Degree being one), require that you sign an agreement to stay on the job for 4 years after getting the degree, if the city pays for the school. Also, completing the academy is worth approx. 24 credit hours through Chicago City Colleges.

Bottom line, if you're hired, your best bet is to let the city pay for your education and keep gaining seniority. Guys I know have got masters, law degrees on the city's dime. It's harder, but if you're single, that's the time to do it. When I came on, these opportunities weren't available.
    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chicago_mwk
    replied
    You are correct, I am refering to my undergrad degree.

I was hoping that there was some sort of work around with CPD... that's unfortunate that they don't offer something like a sebbatical to complete a degree. That would've really helped me out. NEIU might be a good idea then... I was hoping to get a B.S. so I was initially looking for a science type college.

Looks like I need to adapt and overcome.

Leave a comment:

• Edge06128
    replied
    i believe lewis also may give cpd a discount or something since we use the academy classrooms for some college classes

Leave a comment:

• cityblusuit
    replied
    I assume you are talking about your undergrad. If you are, UIC is not necessarily conducive to pursuing an undergrad degree at night. Other schools such as Governors State, NEIU, Lewis U, and Roosevelt are likely better bets. Obviously Governors State and NEIU are probably financially conducive. AS you get older it is not so important where your degree came from as much as it is important that you simply have your degree. If you have the discipline look at online programs, as long as they are accredited schools. Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• Chicago_mwk
    started a topic University Study

University Study

The Air Force used to offer a program called bootstrap, where you would leave the military for a time to finish your degree, and then pick up where you left off after graduation.

I'm very interested in completing my degree, but I want to do it at UIC. UIC is not very working adult friendly, so I would need to leave the police or take time off in order to get it done.

Does CPD offer a similar program or am I stuck with night classes at a different college?

What educational opportunities are available for the CPD?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3389 users online. 222 members and 3167 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X