300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westwood College???

Does anyone know if local departments accept a degree from westwood college?

This is what most departments require. I'm not speaking for ALL of them, so use this as a guideline to help you make your decision.

The College or University must be accredited by one of the following associations:

Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
    New England Association of Schools and Colleges
    Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
    Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
    Western Association of Schools and College

Comment

I would just make sure they are state accredited.

Comment

I was thinking about attending there a while back until I found out the weren't fully accredited, so I doubt if a department would accept a diploma from there

Comment

I've heard from a reliable source that CPD does not accept credits from Westwood. I've also heard that there may be some 'burbs that accept it, but why waste your time and money taking classes there if you can't be 100% sure your dream department will accept it? I say stay away.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

Why not see if you can take some online courses from the local community college? It might even be cheaper. And the online courses are generally a joke.

Comment

Any "college" that has to saturate the market with a bunch of cheap, cheesy commercials should speak volumes of the institution. If you read the disclaimers on their commercials at the bottom, they read "credits earned are not likely to transfer" or something like that. And yes, I have also heard of people spending tons of money for these for-profit schools and all they have to show is a worthless degree. Go to your local community college and get an accredited degree for a third of the price.

Comment

Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (!)7/1/1991

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission 10/12/2007

Thats their accredidations

Comment

Accreditation*

Comment

I do have my associates already so Im just going for my bachelors

Comment

eclipsecraze, today at work I was doing some research into Westwood's accreditation because we had an applicant who had a "degree" from Westwood. Well, for one thing, there was a typo on her degree, ("Bachelor's of Appliled Sciences") but that is forgivable. The point is, I was researching their accreditation. They are not accredited by the Higher Learning Commission anywhere in Illinois. The only accreditation any of the Westwood campuses in Illinois currently have is from the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS). That council generally accredits schools offering trade and vocational programs. Personally I think it's a bit of a stretch to consider Criminal Justice a trade, but apart from that, most colleges and universities do not recognize Westwood College as a real school and will not transfer their credits. Most importantly many police departments won't recognize a degree from Westwood College. My neighbor's daughter tested for Chicago in 2006, has been waiting all this time, has passed everything, and they just called her to let her know that she's out of the process because she doesn't have her minimum college credits, because she took her classes at Westwood, and Westwood doesn't count.

Finally, I checked the tuition rates-- A bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice is going to run you $59,710. Personally, if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I don't want to have my degree come with an asterisk. I'm sure you can find a real school to get you bachelor's from at a fraction of the price.

Even the date on their "diplomas" is a lie (it says "since 1953" even though Westwood College was founded in 1986).

"Westwood College" is a business, not a school. Businesses fail. I just don't want to see you waste your money on a "school" that may not even exist in 5 years.

Higher Learning Commission Accreditation for Schools in Illinois
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcX_5hZN6U

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Comment

westwood, isnt that the one who has a campus at the airport.
                        The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any LE agency, other person or entity.

Comment

What about ITT Tech? I have a friend there, and I keep telling him to go to a state school. Its cheaper and I am pretty sure they are accredited.

Comment

I called some departments by my house here and they said that they accept it as long as its a bachelors degree and accredited. I called Schaumburg, Palatine, Hoffman, Addison, elk grove, and arlington heights. Thanks for the concern though.

Comment

ChiCity What department are you at...Chicago? Will it work on the federal level does anyone know? I know chicago wont accept it but I dont want to work in chicago. Now they say hey are nationally accredited so that means it'll work on the federal level right?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3214 users online. 145 members and 3069 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X