300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 1/2 mile run vs. obstacle course

I have some test coming up and was wondering if anyone has any experience taking the IL Power test compared to a obstacle course power test. I am a Officer in IL and am testing in TN. I would think the obstacle would be easier. The two I am taking consist of some walls, balance beams, ditch jump, and dummy drag. They are 400 yards long. What is your opinion? I need to hear from people who have done both of them or at least the obstacle.
    Thanks guys and be careful!!

The 1.5 mile is easy but boring, and almost everybody passes that I have seen. The obstacle courses are more fun, but more people ending up failing them.

Comment

The obstacle courses are easier than the power test by far. Just my opinion, though.

The POWER test requires targeted preparation. I had to hit the bench press for several months before I could hit 98% of my weight. I also had to do a LOT of stretching. The running and sit-ups were easier for me because I'm a naturally smaller framed guy and I'm much more of a runner and sprinter than a weight lifter.

As long as you're decently fit and agile, the obstacle courses are a breeze without requiring the same lengthy preparation that the POWER test does.

In my experience from testing, more guys failed POWER tests than obstacle courses. The POWER test is entirely a pass or fail situation, whereas the obstacle courses are timed and aren't necessarily pass/fail unless you fail to do something during the course (like the dummy drag).
      Last edited by ShepXD; 09-07-2009, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepXD View Post
        The obstacle courses are easier than the power test by far. Just my opinion, though.

The POWER test requires targeted preparation. I had to hit the bench press for several months before I could hit 98% of my weight. I also had to do a LOT of stretching. The running and sit-ups were easier for me because I'm a naturally smaller framed guy and I'm much more of a runner and sprinter than a weight lifter.

As long as you're decently fit and agile, the obstacle courses are a breeze without requiring the same lengthy preparation that the POWER test does.

In my experience from testing, more guys failed POWER tests than obstacle courses. The POWER test is entirely a pass or fail situation, whereas the obstacle courses are timed and aren't necessarily pass/fail unless you fail to do something during the course (like the dummy drag).
        Agreed

Comment

Thanx alot guys. Have you taken a obstacle course test?? I assumed they were easier too. Not in the best shape but getting there and endurance is high. : )

Comment

POWER stretch traing.

Just wondering if there are any good stretches to do to get ready for the sit and reach. I'm doing the POWER on Oct. 3rd for McHenry Co. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by db30 View Post
              Just wondering if there are any good stretches to do to get ready for the sit and reach. I'm doing the POWER on Oct. 3rd for McHenry Co. Thanks!
              I thought we had to do the written test first? Oh well, I will see you there anyway.

Comment

Originally Posted by ShepXD

This pretty well sums it up!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5255 users online. 266 members and 4989 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X