300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteer sheriff deputy??

Do volunteer Sheriff deputies have full police powers in Illinois? Can they write tickets, arrest suspects, carry weapons, etc? A discussion at work has lead to this question. We read in the news that Alexander County has let 75% of the deputies go. Then the question of volunteers came up.

So I guess the question is...what can a volunteer sheriff deputy do/not do?
    Someone said they have the same training as a full time LEO..

It depends on what State law says on ths subject, and how much liability the Dept. wants to take on. Many Depts, especially West Coast and rural, have Reserve Officers, who are full service officers, others have reserve officers who are not armed, and only act as the "eyes and ears" of their Dept.

Google Reserve officer, or Auxiliary Police Officer for more info. I found nothing specific on Alexander Co.

LAPD, LASO, MCSO(posse), MPDC, all have full service Reserves, NYPD has Auxiliaries, just to name a few.

Comment

Try checking with this group, http://www.reservepolice.org/Links.htm#Illinois

Comment

http://www.ptb.state.il.us/pdf/auxiliary.pdf
        183 FBINA

Comment

tell the diff ????

How would a person be able to tell the difference between a full time and a volunteer reserve officer? Thanks for the links it helped somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by woodyga View Post
            How would a person be able to tell the difference between a full time and a volunteer reserve officer? Thanks for the links it helped somewhat.
            Auxiliary uniforms have to be different from full/part time sworn officers and clearly indicate they are auxiliary.
            183 FBINA

Comment

No longer available.
              Last edited by Matthew5:9; 01-28-2011, 01:12 AM.
              -M5:9

Comment

First of all, the search feature on this website and Google are your best friend. The topic of auxiliaries has been beaten to death on this website!

Q1: Do volunteer Sheriff deputies have full police powers in Illinois?

A1:No, according to State Statute, specifically the Counties Code and the Municipal Code, only municipal auxiliaries have full police powers when on duty. Sheriff's auxiliaries do not have full police powers.

Q2: Can they write tickets, arrest suspects, carry weapons, etc?

A2: No, No and Yes.

Q3: So I guess the question is...what can a volunteer sheriff deputy do/not do? Someone said they have the same training as a full time LEO.

A3: The Sheriff can provide whatever training he/she wishes, but a majority of it would be a waste of time and money since their auxiliaries are severely limitied on what they can do in compared to municipal auxiliaries.

See:

65 ILCS 5/3.1‑30‑5 Appointed Officers in All Municipalities

and

55 ILCS 5/3‑6 Counties Code / Sheriff

for more information.
                Last edited by rgw1977; 09-06-2009, 07:09 AM.
                What not to openly admit in the Officer.com Forums: "I AM an active member of I.P.R." - Riggs45

"Please let me know, Thank you." in honor of Chitown2210

“What's right is what's left if you've done everything else wrong.” - Robin Williams

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
                  Auxiliary uniforms have to be different from full/part time sworn officers and clearly indicate they are auxiliary.
                  Actually, Captain, this is what the Statute states:

...Identification symbols worn by auxiliary police officers shall be different and distinct from those used by members of the regular police department....

and

...Identification symbols worn by such auxiliary deputies shall be different and distinct from those used by members of the regular county police department or regular deputies...

Now, it does not specifically state the word uniform in either, it states, identification symbols. I have seen where in many jurisdictions, "identification symbol" has been interpreted to mean the badge, and the uniform is exactly the same and the only difference between the regular officers or deputies and the auxiliaries is the wording on the badge.
                  What not to openly admit in the Officer.com Forums: "I AM an active member of I.P.R." - Riggs45

“What's right is what's left if you've done everything else wrong.” - Robin Williams

Comment

I gave a very brief answer. I didn't mean the uniforms have to be different colors or look completely different than full time. They have to distinctly indicate the person wearing it is an auxiliary as opposed to a regular officer. The patches/insignia on the uniforms have to be different which makes the uniform different. Patches are part of the uniform. They have to be so marked so there is no confusion between auxiliary and regular.
                    183 FBINA

Comment

What this all boils down to is that it's a convoluted mess in Illinois.

Ideally, I'd like to see the ILETSB do away with any type of sworn or conservator of the peace status without at least the part-time 400 hour certification. Furthermore, get rid of the 6 month period where they can work before needing to be enrolled in the academy, this will get PT / reserve / volunteer officers off the street who currently get to do police work for up to 6 months without any academy training.
                      Last edited by ShepXD; 09-06-2009, 10:50 AM.

Comment

reserves

[QUOTE=Matthew5:9;1970449]<- NYPD AUX are NOT licensed nor are they allowed to carry guns or make arrest.

This response does not apply to auxiliary deputy sheriffs, since Illinois State statute does not authorize such deputies to possess conservator of the peace powers; note: auxiliary deputy sheriffs can carry guns.

... edited for length ...

I never said NYPD Auxiliaries were licensed, or carry guns.... Years ago, NYPD used to allow AUX. officers who had Pistol permits to carry concealed. They dropped that in the late 1970's.

Some Aux. Depts. in NYS do carry on a permit while on duty. For Example Long Beach Police Aux. carry while on duty and in uniform if they have a valid NCPD Permit, which I think you can get after like a year or so on, as long as you are over 21.

Other depts, have Reserve Officers that are full sowrn officers.

As far as telling them for other officers, depends on Dept. In LA, the only way to tell is Reserve Officers badge # start with an R. other than that uniform is the same.

Some Dept, have little rockers above the patch that says Auxiliary, others have a different color uniform. NYPD has a different shape shield 7 pointed star and patch rocker....
                        Last edited by 2971511; 09-06-2009, 08:26 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by ShepXD View Post
                          What this all boils down to is that it's a convoluted mess in Illinois.

Ideally, I'd like to see the ILETSB do away with any type of sworn or conservator of the peace status without at least the part-time 400 hour certification. Furthermore, get rid of the 6 month period where they can work before needing to be enrolled in the academy, this will get PT / reserve / volunteer officers off the street who currently get to do police work for up to 6 months without any academy training.
                          Yes, it is quite the mess! It seems with many statutes, public acts, whatever, the lawmakers in this state can be so vague and never really come out and be specific with anything, there's always so much room for interpretation.

And, as far as doing away with the conservator or sworn status, isn't that what they did when they issued this statement concerning auxiliaries in 2006?

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
                            I gave a very brief answer. I didn't mean the uniforms have to be different colors or look completely different than full time. They have to distinctly indicate the person wearing it is an auxiliary as opposed to a regular officer. The patches/insignia on the uniforms have to be different which makes the uniform different. Patches are part of the uniform. They have to be so marked so there is no confusion between auxiliary and regular.
                            Before becoming sworn, I volunteered for several years as an auxiliary.

At one department, the regulars wore dark blue with a six point star. The auxiliaries wore two-tone brown with a shield. It was obvious who we were.

At the sheriff's department, the regulars wore dark blue, we wore two-tone blue. We both wore seven-point stars and the patches were different but very similar.

Tha last department I volunteered for, we wore the very same uniform as the regulars. We both wore seven-point stars and the only difference was the wording on the star. We were even armed.

All depends on the department and the Sheriff's/Chief's interpretation of the statute.

Illinois needs to change the laws concerning volunteers and get on board with states like California and Indiana, or just simply ban volunteers altogether. It's confusing to those in the profession who are supposed to be able to understand who is who and what they can do and even worse, it is more confusing to the public.

Comment

There was a local sheriff who let his auxiliary "captain" pretty much run loose and no control. He was a wannabee. Their auxiliary wore the exact uniform as the regular except their patch had small "AUX" at the bottom of the patch. The AG got complaints from people and the sheriff was sent a letter from the AG pointing out that their uniforms did not meet the meaning of the statute for being "distinctly different".
                              183 FBINA

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3693 users online. 202 members and 3491 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X