Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power test from no working out to passing in a month???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power test from no working out to passing in a month???

Last edited by CD24; 01-28-2013, 02:29 PM.

There would be no way for us to know. I have seen fat people run fast, I have seen skinny people run out of steam after a quarter mile. We all could go on and on with these examples. To call him "out of shape" does us no good in determining what he can or can't do. I guess he will find out in a month if he can or can't do it. Us speculating does no good.
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

The real question is why hasn't your friend been working out if he is out of shape. How does someone that is serious about law enforcement not do everything they can to be in great shape. The standards for the POWER test are easy.

Comment

i would say run him thru ur own mini power test, see for yourself what he has got...go from there...ive seen guys and gals who look fit show up to our tests and fail miserably...
        Waiting...I would rather be snowboarding

Comment

Why is your terribly out of shape friend even considering a carrer where you put your life on the line every day and are tasked with dealing with the most dangerous forms of life out there? Try Best Buy.

Comment

I agree. Why is he testing? At the same time I believe the test is BS and holds no credit. Anyone going into LE should be in at least decent shape but no police department's hold that true once they are on. I'm sure we have all asked ourselves how can this person be in LE (a police veteran be in LE). I have know and see so many people that should not be in LE because of health. For most department's, all LEO's have to pass a Dr. physical. My 65 year old father can pass that. Hell, I was in White Hen the other morning and a completly out of shape officer waddling back to his car. It's sad. Tell your friend to get in shape and work his tail off. That will say more about him as a person and if not this test then he will be prepared for next.

Good luck to him!!

Comment

I was able to pass the power test with only a months notice. If he is determined enough and works out properly while balancing his nutrition, then he will pass that phase of the process.
              ~Delta

Comment

I hope fatty fails, that's all we need is another out of shape police officer!
                Crime fighter!

Comment

Originally posted by DELTAFORCEWOLF View Post
                  I was able to pass the power test with only a months notice. If he is determined enough and works out properly while balancing his nutrition, then he will pass that phase of the process.
                  What about the Academy?

Originally posted by Cujo1 View Post
                  I hope fatty fails, that's all we need is another out of shape police officer!
                  Who said he was fat? There are alot of skinny people who are out of shape.

Comment

Pass? Yes, I think he could pass. It's not difficult at all, a little effort and you pass. Could he do well in it? Probably not.

Staying fit isn't just a fad, it's a lifestyle and until you do it consistently for years, it's not going to be a habit. Is he going to be one of those guys who just does enough to get hired and out of probation and let himself go?

Don't get me wrong, I think the likelihood of a LEO chasing a suspect for 1.5 miles is probably low. But it's not necessarily about that. It could be a short chase but if he struggles with just that small physical portion, what if he has to wrestle the suspect to the ground. If he manages to subdue him, is he in good enough shape to make observations such as his location, sit rep, etc. when he calls higher?

Being exhausted can cloud your judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by CD24 View Post
                      My friend who is terribly out of shape, asked me if I think he can pass the Power test in early October, 2009. He started working out Sept 1st…I told him his chances are slim to none. What do you all think???
                      Your question is entirely dependent on his body type and how close he is to the various benchmarks. As an ectomorph (skinny frame, difficulty with gaining weight/muscle), I found it was nearly impossible to concentrate on running 2 miles 4 days a week (as suggested by the Illinois POWER packet) and bench press enough to cover my body weight. It was frustrating because with all the effort I was putting into my workouts, I was getting nowhere. It was as there was a balance system where I would gain in bench, but lose in the run; and the other way around. And it made sense, cardio workouts break down muscle and weightlifting builds them up.

So what I decided after two months was that I'd have to concentrate my efforts on one of the two tests. It was not enough to just barely cover my body weight, as I was attempting, but put myself WELL over it. And that's what I did, but it surely didn't occur all within one month. It took five months to bench press 50 above my weight, in addition to comfortably passing the 1.5 mile run. For the first three months I didn't run one extra step than what was necessary.

Ultimately, if you're friend is just doing enough to pass, he'll have issues unless his body type is structured to support muscle gain and increased cardiovascular stamina simultaneously.

Comment

It depends on the person. I know they had 2 POWER Tests this past weekend for CC DOC, on Sept. 5th. One at 0700, one at 1100. At the 1100 test, they had about 32-33 people and 8-10 of them failed some portion of it, even the sit-n-reach.

Comment

Are the power tests standardized on a state level? I just picked up an app and their 1.5 mile requirement for an age 20-29 male was 13:xx. Doesn't seem to bad for anyone decently in shape. I know when I was lazy in high school, I was able to walk the mile in 14 minutes.

Comment

The state standards are set by the ILETSB.
                            183 FBINA

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4701 users online. 276 members and 4425 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X